Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
And something also BoJo is about to get right.

It's beggars belief why Call Me Dave or May didn't address this before - many of these quangos are not politically neutral, but inevitably push the Labour line in a GE. Moving the quango's back to something approaching political neutrality is something that should have been far earlier in the Tory term in office - and heightens the chances the Tories will win the next GE.

Note for @dun_n_dusted - more Boris Grr for you...

Wordsmith
That's not Boris Grrr, unless of course it should have read Boris Grrreat!

694df9789445cf6426e95f87b6e1eae9--tiger-faith.jpg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You've been there too.

You seem somewhat vexed today.
No old thing, I'm fine, a little free time between TEAMS meetings ,and nothing better to do than poke the, well, not bears, noisy gerbils is a good fit....

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You have a vivid imagination. Are you OK?

Would you like some soup? Might perk you up.
Thank you kindly, but no. I find thumbed soup bad for my digestion.

Perhaps you are discovering what many of us have previously thought? Johnson is not the sort of bloke that many of us would have wanted to serve alongside. There is no way on God's green earth that he would have ever passed any sort of commissioning board and, tbh, probably not a JNCO cadre either.
If that's true then you certainly served in an isolated unit. I experienced many officers and SNCOs that consistently outdid Boris, from sh*gging, pads wives ad nauseam to one officer attemping to sh*g male jnr ranks in Hohne, until he got caught.

My last unit had a Female Adj (FTRS) in a relationship with the regular male TM (still married until he got found out and was divorced). The two are now married but during the period they weren't, went out of their way to ruin the career of an excellent PSI who was dating a TA soldier whilst going through a divorce.

Boris is a saint compared to some of the lowlife I was unlucky to serve under.

Boris is like the curate's egg; good in parts. Although I would argue that the good outweighs the bad.

He, for example, has probably sorted out the Brexit mess and we'll be leaving the EU with a fairly clean break; something I think we owe him a considerable debt of gratitude for.

But, as people have commented "Boris doesn't do detail". And that's where he's struggled. Brexit he understood, and with Cummings and Frost, he's made a decent job of it. Covid requires him to 'do detail'. I don't think he has, which has meant he's let other people make up his mind for him - hence the multiple u-turns.

The other things going on is apparently he's in the financial smeg. He was earning £800K as a back bencher; newspaper columns, speeches, etc. That's down to under £200K on a PM's salary. And as his divorce cleaned him out, plus maintenance costs, that leaves him struggling to make financial ends meet. That worry can't be helping his decision making either.

Which is why I think having to submit all his Covid 19 decisions to parliament is a blessing in disguise; now he'll have to really think them through by 'doing detail'.

I put in the comment about his financial problems because I think it'll make him a one term PM - he'll resign in 24 - 30 months time so he can up his earnings. Particularly if Sunak continues to impress and there is an obvious and popular successor.

Wordsmith

Re. Johnson's divorce and subsequent penury, my heart bleeds... No, really, it does. :roll:

As for the rest, whatever his good points, he is not the man for dealing with COVID-19. But he is fixed in place to 'Get Brexit Done', so he is safe for a little while yet.

If that's true then you certainly served in an isolated unit. I experienced many officers and SNCOs that consistently outdid Boris, from sh*gging, pads wives ad nauseam to one officer attemping to sh*g male jnr ranks in Hohne, until he got caught.

My last unit had a Female Adj (FTRS) in a relationship with the regular male TM (still married until he got found out and was divorced). The two are now married but during the period they weren't, went out of their way to ruin the career of an excellent PSI who was dating a TA soldier whilst going through a divorce.

Boris is a saint compared to some of the lowlife I was unlucky to serve under.

Oh, I don't know, I've seen plenty of poor behaviour over the years and I've seen people profit from it too. But, I stand by my substantive point, Johnson is not someone that I would wish to serve alongside. He would have hit his ceiling as an National Service 'Gentleman Private (Driver)' in the RASC.

Think Willie Rushton but without the integrity.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Re. Johnson's divorce and subsequent penury, my heart bleeds... No, really, it does. :roll:

Penury is relative - dropping from £800K to under £200K will have meant major lifestyle changes, but he's not in the poorhouse. And some of the penury comes from (a) not keeping it in his trousers and (b) having a now ex-wife who was a lawyer and who (reputedly) took him to the cleaners in the divorce settlement.
As for the rest, whatever his good points, he is not the man for dealing with COVID-19. But he is fixed in place to 'Get Brexit Done', so he is safe for a little while yet.

You won't get much disagreement from that. But it's interesting to reflect on the vagaries of fate. Had Covid 19 not come along BoJo would probably still be getting rave reviews as Brexit would have been predominantly in the headlines.

Realistically, he was the only possible replacement for May. Any of the other contenders would have turned the Tory party into a passable imitation of the Titanic - with the scary possibility of Magic Grandpa in No. 10. But Covid 19 has now smacked BoJo in the face with a wet kipper....

Wordsmith

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
What Boris has done in 2020 makes the case for severely limiting the power of government over our lives like nothing else could have done.

The breath-taking science-free overreaction and overreach of the scamdemic tells us the state should never again be entrusted with such excessive authority.
Or the Press should stop campaigning to do the opposite of whatever the Government is doing at any time, and REPORT THE NEWS.

Oh, I don't know, I've seen plenty of poor behaviour over the years and I've seen people profit from it too. But, I stand by my substantive point, Johnson is not someone that I would wish to serve alongside. He would have hit his ceiling as an National Service 'Gentleman Private (Driver)' in the RASC.

Think Willie Rushton but without the integrity.

Ah, I'm not got an idea of who you've worked with/over/under but in my time I've observed a whole lot of individuals whose ability and morality occupied different ends of the spectrum. IMHO Some were nice and hopeless, some were tw*ts but good, Some of them were actually very loyal to their friends but ***** to anyone else etc etc. I quickly learnt to focus on tasks not personalities pretty early on.
I have no doubt I wouldn't want Boris as a bezzer, but that's really never going to be an issue. I want him to deliver Brexit, not a moral example. If he caught the clap, it would not matter to me one bit or waver me from that expectation of him. He has a mandate to fulfil , not a fan club to please. I have little expectation of him regarding Covid because there's nothing great happening elsewhere. Everyone is stumbling, and what's worked elsewhere won't necessarily work here , especially when everyone has a different opinion of what should be done. - and some take to the streets to disobey. Do I know what's best? Certainly not. Thats the SMEs job.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I have little expectation of him regarding Covid because there's nothing great happening elsewhere. Everyone is stumbling, and what's worked elsewhere won't necessarily work here , especially when everyone has a different opinion of what should be done. - and some take to the streets to disobey. Do I know what's best? Certainly not. Thats the SMEs job.

Boris's biggest problem on Covid 19 has been inconstancy. He's constantly flipped and flopped and changed his mind.

Different countries around the world have adopted different strategies to deal with Covid 19 and the outcomes have not been too different (except with a right belter in changer of the country). The key things seem to be:
  1. Control your borders - if you are controlling the spread of the disease internally, the last thing you want is infected people coming in from abroad to start new infection vectors.
  2. Recognise that the elderly are at greatest risk and prioritise protecting them.
  3. Try and avoid build ups of people in confined spaces - that's the fastest vector for spreading Covid 19
  4. Ensure people maintain social distancing, wear face masks and use hand sanitiser
Outside of those 4 things, nothing seems to have made much difference; countries with strict lockdown have fared as well/as badly as ones with looser lockdowns.

BoJo needed to determine a policy and stick with it in the face of adverse media coverage. I don't think any policy he picked would have made a dramatic difference to the death rate; it's the appearance of constant changes of mind that has damaged him.

Wordsmith

Chimp

ADC
He, for example, has probably sorted out the Brexit mess and we'll be leaving the EU with a fairly clean break; something I think we owe him a considerable debt of gratitude for.
Wordsmith
I really hope you are right. However things don't look good. But to be honest as long as they don't tax my pension (exempt at present), make me pay university fees (paid for at the moment) I'll probably be ok.

Bozo has a problem when his ex mistress and an influential back bencher feels free to ridicule him openly in the press.

HCL

Old-Salt
Or that Raab chappie who if I remember correctly is Jewish. That would present some on the other side of the house with a problem.

Did he convert when he married his missu then? I knew his kids were but didn't know he'd had the other kind of snip to please OC Indoors.