Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Now, I hope I have given you something to ponder there.

Sadly, not really. You are, of course, entitled to your opinions, even though you distort the accepted meaning of "the man on the Clapham omnibus" phrase into a grotesque parody.

In addition, your entire post is discredited by: "BBC - I find the news pretty even handed."

Such a breathtakingly out-of-touch statement makes me consider whether it would have been easier for you had I posted in Klingon or Zogian.

"The nasty people disagree with me." != Echo chamber.

HTH.
Indeed...we should all ignore people who disagree with us because they couldn't possibly have a relevant point...

Meanwhile...on planet earth...one rule for them...

crow_bag

War Hero
It makes you wonder how those bars in the HoC specifically are exempt from the rules.

I assume the laws did t include a line that said "except bars in HoC".

If a factory had a canteen would that come under the rules for bars and restaurants, or word it simply be covered under the rules that apply to the factory as a whole?

EDIT TO ADD: the article makes it clear, they come under the same rules as other workplace canteens, so a factory canteen would be able to stay open last 10pm and not have to adhere to stricter measures either.

However, you would assume that in central London there are other locations available for MPs and their staff to eat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Indeed...we should all ignore people who disagree with us because they couldn't possibly have a relevant point...

Meanwhile...on planet earth...one rule for them...

Cheers, Last Word Guy.

Big fan of your work.

Never fails to deliver exactly what I expect.

Cheers, Last Word Guy.

Big fan of your work.

Never fails to deliver exactly what I expect.
Starting with Last Word Guy weak as feck. That's all.

Tool

LE
It makes you wonder how those bars in the HoC specifically are exempt from the rules.

I assume the laws did t include a line that said "except bars in HoC".

If a factory had a canteen would that come under the rules for bars and restaurants, or word it simply be covered under the rules that apply to the factory as a whole?

EDIT TO ADD: the article makes it clear, they come under the same rules as other workplace canteens, so a factory canteen would be able to stay open last 10pm and not have to adhere to stricter measures either.

However, you would assume that in central London there are other locations available for MPs and their staff to eat.

It also has something to do with the HoC being "Palace of Westminster" or something along those lines.

My bold - these other locations would offer heavily subsidised drink and food to MP's and staff, would they? That trough won't clean itself, you know.

crow_bag

War Hero
It also has something to do with the HoC being "Palace of Westminster" or something along those lines.

My bold - these other locations would offer heavily subsidised drink and food to MP's and staff, would they? That trough won't clean itself, you know.
Are you suggesting that they specifically allowed for work place canteens to not have to adhere to stricter protocols so that the HoC restaurants could stay open longer?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
This was predictable.

Boris Johnson has been warned to expect “certain” defeat this week if he defies Tory rebels demanding a say on new lockdown powers, amid growing signs of a Government climbdown. More than 50 Tory MPs have now publicly backed a demand to put national coronavirus measures to a vote in Parliament, with rebel leaders confident that as many as 100 are on board.

Thus far the Coronoavirus measures have been imposed by diktat without proper parliamentary scrutiny.

BoJo is now facing a major rebellion by his backbench MP's - which will be gleefully aided and abets by the opposition parties. BoJo has little choice but to agree to all future changes in Covid 19 policy being subject to approval by the Commons.

I for one welcome that for one good and simple reason - it'll stop kneejerk reactions and u-turns a few days later. Now every change in policy will have to be brought before the Commons for approval, which will mean the government will have to develop a long term strategy and stick to it. I suspect his back bench MPs have just done BoJo a big favour - Covid 19 was by far his worst area of failure. Now, he'll have to think through what he's doing, come up with a policy and stick to it.

And Rushi Sunak has markedly limited his room for manoeuvre by the changes he's made to furlough/job support. He's made BoJo focus on the economy as well as Covid 19. And given the widespread approval Sunak has received from voters of all political dispositions (including Labour supporters), BoJo knows he needs to up his game. He's under no immediate threat, but if the polling figures are dire 18 months before the next GE, he knows there is a Crown Prince waiting in the wings.

Wordsmith

Tool

LE
Are you suggesting that they specifically allowed for work place canteens to not have to adhere to stricter protocols so that the HoC restaurants could stay open longer?

I'm suggesting that, like for the smoking ban, the HoP has a bit of leeway. From Wiki:

" An exemption was also theoretically possible within the Palace of Westminster,[12] as for other Royal Palaces, although members of the House of Commons and the House of Lords agreed to observe the spirit of the ban and restrict any smoking within the grounds of Parliament to four designated outside areas. "

I'm also saying that the MP's and their staff would rather stay within the confines of HoC or HoL and be able to eat subsidised meals and alcohol, rather than go into the wider world and pay more for their food and drink.

Luvvies (a derogatory term about an actor or actress, especially one who is particularly effusive or affected. - most highly articulate and intelligent and are allowed to have a view.

While they can have a view, I not sure why their view should be given any more notice than that of Barry the bog cleaner.

I note today the News seems to be running a story about Danny Dyer calling Oswald Mosley names and explaining how the Eastenders beat up his followers at Cable street. Apart from the fact the blackshirts had fucked off and it was the police on the receiving end of the rioting,
A good example of a luvvie speaking bollocks, but because its the "right message" the press are reporting on it.

Latest Threads