Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Well for starters the Conservatives are no fans of the

I am not a trot - just a loyal Brit who really dislikes the distorted neo-truth put forward by the current Government. A truth I hasten to add, which is lapped up by the blue rinse brigade and many an Arrseteri.

Vide public servants, for starters the dislike of the Civil Service espoused by Cummings and the concomitant lowering of morale through constant undermining and ill use of consultant firms conducting reviews - yes I have seen this first hand - makes one wonder where it will stop.

Ref Thatcher at least admit the Falklands didn’t need to happen.

Also RTFQ - I was imagining.
1601072283672.png

Apologies for the delay.

My understanding of the GFA is that one pivotal piece is the freedom of movement within the island of Ireland. The UK has benefitted from being in a Customs Union within the EU which meant that goods could travel across internal borders free from tariffs and Customs intervention.

There is no real doubt that some kind of border checks / controls will be made when goods cross the border between NI and the RoI. While the Common Travel Area isn't predicated on membership of the EU (its been going for nearly a century) there is a risk that HMG will want to have some kind of control on who enters the UK post Brexit - given it was one of the main rallying cries for Leave - and and such checks will likely be done at the NI / RoI border.

Having fixed Customs posts is anathema to many in the island of Ireland. I would expect there would be a very real risk of them being attacked by various parties with an interest in having zero cross border checks. Any such attacks could eventually lead to a Garda / PSNI presence at the border, and in turn, the possible backup of the military.

Likely? No.

Impossible? Also, no.

Appreciate the reply.

Couple of comments.

First, and unfortunately, to my knowledge nobody is talking about repealing the 1922 Act that allows free movement between Ireland and the UK.

Second, the GFA is silent on customs, duties, tariffs and their related infrastructure. It may be anathema to many in Ireland, but that's a different matter, it's not what the GFA addresses.

The GFA states:

"the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people.”

Despite this text, the EU's uncompromising negotiating position is manifestly that of altering the status of Northern Ireland without the consent of a majority of its people insofar as the EU is demanding a customs border down the Irish Sea. That is not maintaining the Union. Rather, it is a policy that, to my mind at least, breaches both the spirit and letter of the GFA. And yet, in this increasingly Orwellian world, somehow it is the UK that is threatening the GFA.

The Internal Market Act is necessary for the UK to meet its obligations to the GFA in circumstances where no deal is reached.

Truxx

LE
Well for starters the Conservatives are no fans of the

I am not a trot - just a loyal Brit who really dislikes the distorted neo-truth put forward by the current Government. A truth I hasten to add, which is lapped up by the blue rinse brigade and many an Arrseteri.

Vide public servants, for starters the dislike of the Civil Service espoused by Cummings and the concomitant lowering of morale through constant undermining and ill use of consultant firms conducting reviews - yes I have seen this first hand - makes one wonder where it will stop.

Ref Thatcher at least admit the Falklands didn’t need to happen.

Also RTFQ - I was imagining.
So no evidence then Just your opinion.

As for the use of consultants ( something you have now introduced into the discussion, another tactic used by the weaker debaters here) I too have witnessed many. I too question the value. But in my (considerable) experience the vast majority have been initiated by the senior levels of the CS within departments, not by the departmental ministerial team.

As an aside well done you.

You managed a sneer at both Thatcher and Cummings in a single post.

Truxx

LE
Appreciate the reply.

Couple of comments.

First, and unfortunately, to my knowledge nobody is talking about repealing the 1922 Act that allows free movement between Ireland and the UK.

Second, the GFA is silent on customs, duties, tariffs and their related infrastructure. It may be anathema to many in Ireland, but that's a different matter, it's not what the GFA addresses.

The GFA states:

"the present wish of a majority of the people of Northern Ireland, freely exercised and legitimate, is to maintain the Union and, accordingly, that Northern Ireland's status as part of the United Kingdom reflects and relies upon that wish; and that it would be wrong to make any change in the status of Northern Ireland save with the consent of a majority of its people.”

Despite this text, the EU's uncompromising negotiating position is manifestly that of altering the status of Northern Ireland without the consent of a majority of its people insofar as the EU is demanding a customs border down the Irish Sea. That is not maintaining the Union. Rather, it is a policy that, to my mind at least, breaches both the spirit and letter of the GFA. And yet, in this increasingly Orwellian world, somehow it is the UK that is threatening the GFA.

The Internal Market Act is necessary for the UK to meet its obligations to the GFA in circumstances where no deal is reached.
Nail

Head.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought Gen Melchett's list included the entire English-speaking world? That would be some circulation!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I did say rather less than ....

Indeed, but are they able to delay funding the liabilities, which gets them to the same place?

I'm not across the law relating to the timing of funding employer contributions.
If its defined benefit, the liability will appear in the balance sheet. FRS 102, off the top of my head.

And if they wind up the scheme, any shortfall is automatically an employer liability, aka a S75 debt.

Appreciate the reply.

Couple of comments.

The GFA states:

Thank you.

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Scene: The Cabinet Room. 10 Downing Street.
Boris - "Right then chaps and splitarses FNAR! What spiffy decisions are we going to announce today so we can fix this economic tsunami affecting our great nation. Cash is getting a bit tight now so common sense stuff OK. None of this Lefty bollocks..."

Torygraph -
UK set to become biggest country donor to World Health Organisation, Boris Johnson to announce

Scene: The Cabinet Room. 10 Downing Street.
Boris - "Right then chaps and splitarses FNAR! What spiffy decisions are we going to announce today so we can fix this economic tsunami affecting our great nation. Cash is getting a bit tight now so common sense stuff OK. None of this Lefty bollocks..."

Torygraph -
UK set to become biggest country donor to World Health Organisation, Boris Johnson to announce

Rather more nuanced than the headline grabber.

'British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will pledge on Saturday a 30% increase in funding for the World Health Organization while urging reforms to the global health body and calling for a revival of cross-border cooperation to end “ugly rifts”.

'He will commit an initial 71 million pounds to the global vaccine partnership known as COVAX to secure purchase rights on 27 million doses, and 500 million to a separate COVAX initiative to help poorer countries access a vaccine.

'Johnson will also announce 340 million pounds ($433.23 million) in funding for the WHO spread across four years - a 30% increase on the previous four-year commitment - with around a third of the money dependent on reform to the organisation.

'Britain, along with France and Germany, is expressing support for the WHO, albeit tied to reforms, when the body faces criticism over its pandemic response.'

'Dependant on reform' Good luck with that...
Now what could we do IN OUR OWN COUNTRY with £340 million? Hmmmmm...

I shouldn't worry: won't we be getting more than that back into the UK economy every week for use in the NHS? I seem to recall something to that effect written on a big red bus a while ago.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
'Dependant on reform' Good luck with that...
Now what could we do IN OUR OWN COUNTRY with £340 million? Hmmmmm...
Pay some interest on our loans?

Latest Threads