Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I thought he was in dialogue with Barnier and his motley crew, today and tomorrow ? Hardly makes him AWOL.

Perhaps because the risk of death is only one part of it. There is enough reading material, from so called experts, that seems to suggest that permanent damage to lungs, hearts and brains is also a serious issue.

Anyway - It appears that he is damned whatever he does. Nail the response 100% correct and he would be damned, get the response 50% correct and he would be damned, get the response 0% correct, he would be damned.

World beating.

I didn't take it as a dig at all and I don't consider him an enemy per se, just a sensationalist journo who might not be very accurate in his reporting as his, shall we say chequered past isn't very edifying either personally or more importantly professionally.
Johnson?

How very unlike you to come in all guns blazing and make a cock of yourself.

Did I

Some reading for you

Point out where it says anything about infrastructure, other than military type structures in relation to a border.

There is thick, there is belter thick and then there is bravo_bravo thick

Just for sh1ts and g1ggles, give us a brief rundown on your Military experience of said border.

Out of his depth - is he really? He has had Covid-19 to deal with and has done so probabkly better than most in Parliament. He has a good team who have dealt with the constantly changing issue.

He has keep the EU in their box and not allowed them to walk all over us as Mrs May did.

He has had to go and help the Mayor of London as one of his major projects was in danger of going tits up.

He has an excellent Chancellor as one of his team who appears to be dealing with the catastrophic issues in the economy quite well.

Overall I think Boris is well up to the job as PM. A good PM is a delegator who can pick the people to do the job, again unlike his predecessor who had her hand on everything thus giving attention to nothing. Boris has delegated and seems to be working well under the circumstances. Often he is compared to Sturgeon but she has very few responsibilities compared to Boris and she is another who keeps every decision to herself and does not let the responsible Ministers do their job. Sounds good on Covid while the rest of Scotland falls apart!

Overall Boris is doing well and given some breathing space after Brexit and Covid then he will have the chance to come out with his own policies. Still over 4 years to the next election.

Broadly agree with both you and TMW, hence the likes...

Basically, Boris has Rishi in the Red corner (save the economy - quite rightly) and Matt in the Blue corner (save lives and the NHS - quite rightly) in a crisis characterised by diametrically conflicting imperatives. As the PM, Boris has to square that circle and lead the way down the razor blade - alternating whose balls to use as a brake.

To be sure, we could have put all our eggs in one basket, as the Swedes did, but that is not the way our populace tends to work. In a tolerant but lively democracy such as ours, with strong views on both left and right (into which this debate has broadly polarised), you can't just go one way.

Bluntly, until we achieve herd immunity, or get a vaccine, we just have to live with this, keeping both our vulnerable population and our economy alive as best we can, and it requires juggling. Of course, Wordsmith echoes the views of many in his dislike of u-turns (people don't like uncertainty). But, you can't have a referendum on whether to save lives or the economy, we simply have to do both...

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The negative reporting has caused the PM to give way on some areas he really shouldn't have, which has just led the Media to scream for more blood. Of course, where he has held his ground, the Media has screamed even louder.

Therein lies BoJo's problem. Like the great majority of politicians he lives inside the Westminster bubble and is perhaps over influenced by the media. By chopping and changing - often in response to adverse media coverage/faux outrage from the opposition parties, he's created the impression of a man not confident in his own decision making.

In retrospect - and it's hindsight on my part - BoJo's biggest mistake was to put the chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, and the chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance at the centre of his press conferences. He's now been hemmed in by the medical advice. He used them for political cover at the start - "look, I'm following medical advice" - and now he's hostage to that medical advice. The terrible two, Whitty and Valance, have been unkindly christened 'Witless' and 'Unbalanced' by some cynical Tory MP's. BoJo needed them to be pragmatic and discuss the most probable scenario - they've covered their backsides by always catering for the worst case one.

Had he listed to their advice privately and then said "following the advice of the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific advisor and taking other factors such as the economy into account, I have decided on the following course of action..." he would have had much more freedom of action. And very probably there would have been less u-turns.

Compare and contrast to Brexit, where he's clearly been getting some good private advice (presumably from Frost and Cummings), and has held a steady course despite massive pressure from Brussels and from the Remain supporting segments of the opposition and media.

The unrest within the Parliamentary party is of concern, but I think that we're a long way from a change of PM, regardless of what some on here might fantasise about.

With the exception of Covid 19 - not his finest hour - BoJo has performed well. No way is he going...

Wordsmith

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
You seem angry.
Looking at the number of posts you've splattered across this thread in the last couple of hours, you seem hopped up on benzedrine.

Did Nurse leave the keyboard unlocked?

Remember kids, just scroll past the troll.

Looking at the number of posts you've splattered across this thread in the last couple of hours, you seem hopped up on benzedrine.

Did Nurse leave the keyboard unlocked?
Its called "catching up".

About a twenty minute read, much giggling at some of tbe Boris fanbois.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Its called "catching up".

About a twenty minute read, much giggling at some of tbe Boris fanbois.
I think you need to take some downers old thing, you're gabbling.

Truxx

LE
You understood wrong

The part that you were looking for was in the BBC article that you linked.

Customs posts are not military barracks, police stations or watchtowers.

There is nothing in the GFA which refers to trade.
Is that idiot child banging on about the Belfast Agreement? Either he has not read it and can be excused for being a sheep and latching on to the bellendery or else he has read it but cannot understand any of the words in it nor appreciate the context in which it was drawn up and signed off,

The Independent has thrown its weight into the ring with a world beating piece of journalistic mental and moral gymnastics...

How can this government criticise Labour’s ‘illegal wars’ when it’s breaking international law itself? | John Rentoul (behind a paywall)

Apparently, Boris Johnson's a hypocrite because the Defence Secretary lost his temper and told a former Blairite some home truths:

Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, caused a flutter in parliament yesterday when he rounded on John Healey, his mild-mannered Labour shadow, for “your illegal wars”. Healey had accused him of trying to make it harder to prosecute British troops over torture allegations, contrary to Britain’s obligations under international law.
Wallace hit back by saying that “much of the mess we are having to come and clean up today” was caused by “illegal wars” under the Labour government. Healey, who was a junior Treasury minister in Tony Blair’s government at the time of the Iraq war, responded: “That is not worthy of the office of the secretary of state for defence.”

Okay, it's only the Independent, and its online paywalled circulation is rather less than General Melchett's Top Secret list*, but still this article should be applauded for its effort to twist and distort morality and reality into a textbook piece of whataboutery.

Kudos.

*"You and me obviously Darling..." etc

I thought Gen Melchett's list included the entire English-speaking world? That would be some circulation!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chimp

ADC
Hes screwed if he wants to raid mine

Brown shafted mine years ago

Edit @Bravo Bravo - I assure you he did way back when Blair was PM circa 2000 ish - Ok you can argue he didnt raid them as in take money out - he just crippled them with tax - thus ripping the value away.

Even caused some to collapse - of course it was only private sector schemes so only fat cats sufferred - oh and the working man.
Mine was a projection of possibility - an imagination but it could just happen - Tories dislike paying Public Service pensions, it goes against the grain. However, there comes a time when we have to stop blaming Tony Blair for the situation we find ourselves in to distract from the woeful leadership we currently “enjoy”.

Truxx

LE
Mine was a projection of possibility - an imagination but it could just happen - Tories dislike paying Public Service pensions, it goes against the grain. However, there comes a time when we have to stop blaming Tony Blair for the situation we find ourselves in to distract from the woeful leadership we currently “enjoy”.
Other than it being the sort of thing that a trot would trot out, do you have a shred of evidence to support your assertion that "tories dislike paying Public Service pensions?

and good honest citizens will drop blaming Blair when the trots stop going on about Thatcher.

Chimp

ADC
Well for starters the Conservatives are no fans of the
Other than it being the sort of thing that a trot would trot out, do you have a shred of evidence to support your assertion that "tories dislike paying Public Service pensions?

and good honest citizens will drop blaming Blair when the trots stop going on about Thatcher.
I am not a trot - just a loyal Brit who really dislikes the distorted neo-truth put forward by the current Government. A truth I hasten to add, which is lapped up by the blue rinse brigade and many an Arrseteri.

Vide public servants, for starters the dislike of the Civil Service espoused by Cummings and the concomitant lowering of morale through constant undermining and ill use of consultant firms conducting reviews - yes I have seen this first hand - makes one wonder where it will stop.

Ref Thatcher at least admit the Falklands didn’t need to happen.

Also RTFQ - I was imagining.

Latest Threads