Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
Not really, my point (and still valid) was that the Mail went from pro Brexit to Remain in one instant. these were just 3 ad hoc references in the media,you don't even have to read between the lines to realise there was a 180 degree shift in the editorial after Greig took over.

I'd respectfully suggest that it went from pro-No Deal, WTO is absolutely the right sort of Brexit to being more sceptical rather than pro-Remain. This isn't entirely down to Grieg, either, because the Mail's owners wanted a reset as a result of growing concern that Dacre's approach had the potential to be damaging.

I was at a an event at my old college where several media types had been invited. This happened just as the reports of Dacre's departure and Grieg's taking over had started to emerge. At the event, there were mutterings over the wine & cheese from the media types that there was a fear in the Mail's boardroom that if he carried on for a few more years Dacre would be advocating renaming the paper the Völkischer Beobachter. Clearly, that was just a bit hyperbolic, but the point was that there was concern that Dacre was at risk of making the paper a caricature of itself if he'd not done so already.

Although I'm sure that Viro Bono (may his sense of humour be eventually located) and his decision to smite any posts containing links to the Mail wasn't a decisive moment, there were, apparently, worries that people with centre-right opinions who were 'natural' Mail readers were finding much of the content unappealing and downright nasty and voting with their wallets. We're not talking snowflakes here, but people who believed in Brexit, who lamented the rise of political correctness, despised those who believe the St George flag to be racist, etc, etc.

There was, I gathered, concern that the Mail would end up being rejected by the generation which the Mail needed to get on board , because if they didn't, once the older readers died off...

Dacre had, you'll recall, also got the paper into difficulties because of its news gathering approach, which often saw stories taken from other news outlets and rewritten as though they were the result of work by the Mail's journalists. This got them into legal bother in Australia and New Zealand -a freelance journalist discovered swathes of her work reproduced under the names of Daily Mail journalists. While the Mail brazened it out with a 'there's no copyright on ideas' line, this brought with it 'there's no copyright on the idea that the Daily Mail is run by a bunch of ****s' approach from journalists, which meant that the Mail started to be referred to with some disdain by journalists who argued that the Mail was simply a repository for plagiarised articles put together by cut and paste merchants who weren't/aren't real journalists.

By 2017, it seems, the Mail's owners had come to the view that Dacre had sent the Mail much too far to the right and was at risk of damaging it. Grieg was moved across from the Mail on Sunday to bring a more moderate approach - which meant that there was a significant toning down in the articles on Brexit, in keeping with a toning down across the board. It seems to have worked, since the Mail, instead of showing signs of going backwards, overtook the Sun to be the biggest selling newspaper per diem a couple of months ago.

Ahhhhhh Well

Despite the howling about Johnson breaking International Law

I think most people can actually see the EU for what it is.
Your level of political insight rivals the depth of your knowledge on investment matters.

The US have made it very clear that anything that jeapordises the GFA will halt any US / UK trade deal.

TamH70

MIA
Your level of political insight rivals the depth of your knowledge on investment matters.

The US have made it very clear that anything that jeapordises the GFA will halt any US / UK trade deal.

You mean that the Wicked Witch of the West, Nancy Pelosi, utter communistic scum and PIRA supporter, is waffling her gums about something she knows absolutely **** all about as usual, and this is being interpreted by you and people like you as the UK putting the Good Friday Agreement under attack.

The US have made it very clear that anything that * jeapordises * the GFA will halt any US / UK trade deal.

Did they really ?

Pelosi and Biden are the US, are they ?

When your English comprehension and speeeelung is as woeful as yours, it is best not to hurl insults.

Ahhhhhh Well

Despite the howling about Johnson breaking International Law

I think most people can actually see the EU for what it is.
It's an interesting article right enough. Especially if you read a little more than just the headline.

Not only is there trust at an official level, he pointed out, but a June survey of Australian attitudes by the Lowy Institute — a center-right leaning Australian think tank — found 84 percent trust the United Kingdom. Confidence in Boris Johnson, however, came in a little lower at 55 percent.

Just "a little lower".

Former Australian High Commissioner to the U.K., Mike Rann, was less convinced.

“The U.K. government’s recent decision to break international law and renege on agreements is not a good start to Boris Johnson’s ambitions for ‘Global Britain,’” he told POLITICO, citing the proposed Internal Market Bill’s impact on Britain’s standing in trade negotiations.

“The damage to British prestige and negotiating clout will be much greater than Boris thinks,” added Rann, who served in London from 2013 to 2014 for the country’s Labor Party. “During more difficult negotiations than those with Australia, questions will be asked about whether Britain means what it says or says what it means.”

Surely not...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd respectfully suggest that it went from pro-No Deal, WTO is absolutely the right sort of Brexit to being more sceptical rather than pro-Remain. This isn't entirely down to Grieg, either, because the Mail's owners wanted a reset as a result of growing concern that Dacre's approach had the potential to be damaging.

I was at a an event at my old college where several media types had been invited. This happened just as the reports of Dacre's departure and Grieg's taking over had started to emerge. At the event, there were mutterings over the wine & cheese from the media types that there was a fear in the Mail's boardroom that if he carried on for a few more years Dacre would be advocating renaming the paper the Völkischer Beobachter. Clearly, that was just a bit hyperbolic, but the point was that there was concern that Dacre was at risk of making the paper a caricature of itself if he'd not done so already.

Although I'm sure that Viro Bono (may his sense of humour be eventually located) and his decision to smite any posts containing links to the Mail wasn't a decisive moment, there were, apparently, worries that people with centre-right opinions who were 'natural' Mail readers were finding much of the content unappealing and downright nasty and voting with their wallets. We're not talking snowflakes here, but people who believed in Brexit, who lamented the rise of political correctness, despised those who believe the St George flag to be racist, etc, etc.

There was, I gathered, concern that the Mail would end up being rejected by the generation which the Mail needed to get on board , because if they didn't, once the older readers died off...

Dacre had, you'll recall, also got the paper into difficulties because of its news gathering approach, which often saw stories taken from other news outlets and rewritten as though they were the result of work by the Mail's journalists. This got them into legal bother in Australia and New Zealand -a freelance journalist discovered swathes of her work reproduced under the names of Daily Mail journalists. While the Mail brazened it out with a 'there's no copyright on ideas' line, this brought with it 'there's no copyright on the idea that the Daily Mail is run by a bunch of ****s' approach from journalists, which meant that the Mail started to be referred to with some disdain by journalists who argued that the Mail was simply a repository for plagiarised articles put together by cut and paste merchants who weren't/aren't real journalists.

By 2017, it seems, the Mail's owners had come to the view that Dacre had sent the Mail much too far to the right and was at risk of damaging it. Grieg was moved across from the Mail on Sunday to bring a more moderate approach - which meant that there was a significant toning down in the articles on Brexit, in keeping with a toning down across the board. It seems to have worked, since the Mail, instead of showing signs of going backwards, overtook the Sun to be the biggest selling newspaper per diem a couple of months ago.
I don't disagree with much of what you say, but ISTR that the Mail's leap to the top of the tabloid leader board had more to do with their readership figures not toppling quite as far for one month as that of the Sun did, rather than an increase in circulation.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
What's the matter now? Fantasy not quite panning out as you'd imagined?
Sorry to disappoint, but my fantasies have nothing to do with portly politicians or the European Union. Mainly these days they centre around waking up with no pain after a full night's sleep. Sad, isn't it?

Still it's nice to see such a grouping of Tory hating remainers making time to get together for a good old growl, whine and gnash. Let's see: it's a murder of crows, a pride of lions, an apology of remainers?

@Bad CO @oldbaldy,

Best get polishing those ban hammers.
Clean up required on Aisle 3.

Latest Threads