Boris - The Prime Minister

First thoughts on PMBoris, will he make a difference?

• Total voters
I have often wondered what the average squaddie would do if a revolution were to break out in the UK. Would they obey their officers and order who would presumably order them to defend the Sovereign and her Government, and thus to help put down the putsch, or would they side with the revolutionaries?

Same with the police. Who's side would they really be on?

They are serious questions by the way. Would they shoot at people who were wanting to rid the country of the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie, or would they empathise with them and even side with them?
Billy Conoly answered that 40 years ago.
And all you long haired revolutionaries,
Don't give us any of your cheek.
And have the revolution on a Saturday,
'Cos I have to work through the week.

Good question. One that’s playing out in Hong Kong at the moment. The Hong Kong police are a normal civilian police force not an army of occupation. The majority of them probably agree with the protesters they are facing.

With regard to the UK it’s not just what the officers may want or what soldiers are prepared to do but also what the Sergeants Mess makes of it all.
Which is where the real business at hand is done: "Army against the great unwashed? Let's sort it out over tea and toast; see you at 1000 hrs." :)

British diplomats will pull out from the EU’s institutional structures of power in Brussels within days, under plans being drawn up by Downing Street.

In an attempt to reinforce the message that the UK is leaving the EU by 31 October, “do or die”, the UK will stop attending the day-to-day meetings that inform the bloc’s decision-making.

Boris does not appear to be F***ing about :D :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm not so sure on this one. It concerns an area of operational interest to the FCO and MoD, as well as the HO...
What will be the UK status on that committee post Brexit?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As far as the EU are concerned, continuing associate member. It is up to us if we want to leave...
No status then. Associate means you can attend meetings, sit at the back and if the committee want to ask you a question they will turn round and ask you, then get back to ignoring you, your pov and reason for being there. The committee will not be able to take the UK pov into any form of consideration.

I take it that the minutes of the Committee are not top secret so will be available after the meeting for all and sundry to read - why be there?

A seat at the table with decision making role and I would agree with you, otherwise just leave. How many committees are we Associate Members of in say USA, or China, or Russia even? Not too many I would guess.

BoJo making the point that UK leaving means UK leaving is not a bad move right now IMHO. Reinforces and strengthens the view that we are leaving come what may on 31 October 2019.

No status then. Associate means you can attend meetings, sit at the back and if the committee want to ask you a question they will turn round and ask you, then get back to ignoring you, your pov and reason for being there. The committee will not be able to take the UK pov into any form of consideration.

I take it that the minutes of the Committee are not top secret so will be available after the meeting for all and sundry to read - why be there?

A seat at the table with decision making role and I would agree with you, otherwise just leave. How many committees are we Associate Members of in say USA, or China, or Russia even? Not too many I would guess.

BoJo making the point that UK leaving means UK leaving is not a bad move right now IMHO. Reinforces and strengthens the view that we are leaving come what may on 31 October 2019.
"Come what May"--I see what you did there. ;-)

Truxx

LE
I have often wondered what the average squaddie would do if a revolution were to break out in the UK. Would they obey their officers and order who would presumably order them to defend the Sovereign and her Government, and thus to help put down the putsch, or would they side with the revolutionaries?

Same with the police. Who's side would they really be on?

They are serious questions by the way. Would they shoot at people who were wanting to rid the country of the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie, or would they empathise with them and even side with them?
Worth a thread all of its own.

Then watch the hidden journos pick up on it....

Worth a thread all of its own.

Then watch the hidden journos pick up on it....
Yes I know. Pity as it would be interesting.

Frankly, if I could be sure that the military would stay on the side of the Right I would be up for the Left starting their revolution right now - actually it's a good tea tonight, so say 19:30.

It could be televised and everything. [ETA - the Putting Down of the Revolution, not my tea!]

Or even better, send them back to the country of their birth to complete their sentences (cost to be borne by that country) with an additional tariff that stipulates they won’t be allowed back into the UK - ever.
In response to the above from Sunday.

Record numbers of Albanian criminals are filling up Britain’s jails despite a deal in 2013 that allowed them to be sent home to serve their sentences.

Just 24 have been repatriated
since the agreement was signed, while the total in prison has risen more than fourfold to reach 876, representing the largest number of foreign criminals in UK jails.

This is being reported as costing the UK £21 Million.

No doubt the EHCR has been used to the max and they need to stay in the UK so that their cats, dogs and budgies can visit them in jail.

This is the sort of sh!t that needs jumped on from a great height. Mag to Grid the C**ts.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
In response to the above from Sunday.

This is being reported as costing the UK £21 Million.

No doubt the EHCR has been used to the max and they need to stay in the UK so that their cats, dogs and budgies can visit them in jail.

This is the sort of sh!t that needs jumped on from a great height. Mag to Grid the C**ts.
Gotta say a 2.66% deport the ****** rater is amazingly shit.

Latest Threads