Boris - takes no crap from labour MPs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by headgear, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Ensure that TfL could provide a service despite the awful weather.

Edited to add that leaving an enquiry, half way through giving an answer, strikes me as the height of bad manners. (even if he thought that Louise Ellman and her colleagues were politically motivated). As Mayor, he's supposed to be accountable to any number of bodies, whatever their political make-up.

Deciding that you don't like the questions, and therefore won't answer them and then leaving, is akin to saying "It wasn't me, it was a big boy who ran away", it's childish.

Boris know better, and we (the electorate) deserve better.
  2. How's he meant to do that? He's not god, anor can he turn back time and remodel the transport network.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The man is brilliant.
  4. Was livingstone ever subjected to any level of scrutiny by a commitee? From what i saw he used to bully them into submission.
  5. One would have thought that planning for such an eventuality would have been conducted years ago. Hardly his fault if it wasn't.
  6. Mr_Fingerz

I find that the BBC tend to put on a weather forecast immediately after the news at 1800hrs. BBC says "It's going to snow lots", Cue Boris picking up the phone and asking TfL what are you doing to make sure that people can get to work tomorrow?.

As the meerkat says "Simples tch"
  7. [
    I find that the BBC tend to put on a weather forecast immediately after the news at 1800hrs. BBC says "It's going to snow lots", Cue Boris picking up the phone and asking TfL what are you doing to make sure that people can get to work tomorrow?.

Mr Fingers,
    Thing is he's got a staff/department heads who's job is to get the job done - after all a CO doesn't micro-manage his OC's does he? How many CO's/company directors/prime ministers do you know who would get involved at that level?

If his staff thought it was an issue then they should have informed him earlier - surely you don't expect him not to sleep!
  8. In 1987, the weatherman assured us that there was not going to be any gale force winds.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'm a little disappointed in Boris actually. One of the Labour apparat . . . . employees of TfL said that she had expected the Mayor to have a more hands-on approach to such matters.

I agree. He should have sacked the TfL boss and then gone out there with a bag of salt, a snow shovel and a camera crew - that would have got transport up and running again.
  10. My thoughts exactly.

What next? Have Boris manning the Barrier the next time there's a Tidal Surge? Get him out in a hard hat and boots filling in potholes?

I watched the video footage and I'm amazed how restrained he was to be honest, it was blatant political "Tory bashing" by a Liebour committee. It was nothing to do with getting answers or the questions would have been worded and delivered very, very differently.

The standing up an walking out was a perfect example of how to show wannabe bullies the contempt that they deserve
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Para_medic's bang on. Planning like this must have been done years before allowing for plans just to be dusted off. Now as the man hasn't had the ability to alter the expenditure on cold weather stocks and can't alter the fact of the worst weather in 20 years, I don't see the point of some of the questions. Sad and petty political point scoring.

I do agree with Fingerz though. Boris should have done a lot better at the meeting. He is a good enough debater to have done so. I just wonder if he was briefed up enough to take a more proactive defence. He could have/ should have made them look like prats.

On another point. Is it only London's Major that needs answer in front of a select committee if there is a screw up or is it all elected Majors? I seem to remember than one of the first Majors elected ran, dressed up in a monkey outfit, on a platform of free bananas for schools. Surely that loon would be just as accountable?

edited to add - Hartlepool voted in the monkey. I wonder iff they were trying to tell the politicians something. :D
  12. I think Boris knows that he has much more of a mandate than these Labour bastards... Who voted for them to manage london, who even voted for their prime minister? Boris holds the moral high ground and he knows it. Quite right he didn't give them the 'respect' this committee seems to think it deserves.
  13. Mr_Fingerz

He's a politician in a high profile (elected) job, which he claimed he could do better than his predecessor. That's why he's accountable.

Yes he has people who run bits of his organisation on his behalf, and they are accountable to him. He has people to make sure that stuff happens, he's also supposed to have checks in place to ensure that stuff has actually happened.

You can delgate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility.

He should have had systems in place that would have afforded him confidence that the capital would not grind to a standstill. He didn't, it did. He fcuked up, and he has to carry the can.

BoJo has a great media profile, and I can understand why people like him, but so much of what he promised all that time ago has failed to happen.

And the Darius Guppy thing is waiting to bite his bum as well.

PS. It's Fingerz with a Z
  14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

If anything one should be directing those questions to the London Emergency Services Liasion Panel and the London Resilience Partnership

The London Resilience Forum is co-chaired by John Healey, Minister for Local Government, and Tony McNulty, Minister for London and the Olympics, with Boris Johnson, Mayor of London as Deputy Chair.

Boris is always good value for money, he should have just got up and told them to fcuk off

The points raised here are spot on, the mayors job is not to go around phoning people up, getting in the thick of it because that is precisely and exactly what is not needed by the contingency planning teams. Its wooly headed thinking like that really makes well hones plans fall apart at the seams as everyone and his dog think they know what they are talking about and pitch in with their opinions

The London Resilience Forum is part of the Central Government and is hosted by the Government Office for London