"Boris Johnson to take aim at MoD over wasted cash..."

Here we go a really good start to the Defence Review, yet another NAO report showing how sharp and excellent our VSCCs and VSOs are. Top third? Most it seems would struggle to get three stars at McDonalds:

For those who have time on their hands

Whilst there are no surprises and plenty of valid criticisms, it's a bit off to complain about our focus on annual budgets. It's literally the law, and if the NAO want it to change, then speak to the House of Commons.

For anyone interested in just how difficult any review will be if carried out seriously, this popped up in my feed.

Whilst there are no surprises and plenty of valid criticisms, it's a bit off to complain about our focus on annual budgets. It's literally the law, and if the NAO want it to change, then speak to the House of Commons.
I haven't read the report in detail yet but I am guessing the criticism is that it is all they are doing without planning for or managing the long game.

£18Bn projected black hole? Pah! I have balanced my books this year by offsetting costs into the future or added to the deficit by not commencing projects which will be more expensive to implement in the future. If you only focus on this year you can ignore the rest.

Anyway within 18 months I will be in leafy village commuting to a Garrison not ten miles away while we get on with the real aspects of soldiering such as golf, point to point and Mess parties while working out what foreign jolly I can scam under the guise of AT.

Last edited:
I haven't read the report in detail yet but I am guessing the criticism is that it is all they are doing without planning for or managing the long game.

£18Bn projected black hole? Pah! I have balanced my books this year by offsetting costs into the future or added to the deficit by not commencing projects which will be more expensive to implement in the future. If you only focus on this year you can ignore the rest.

Anyway within 18 months I will be in leafy village commuting to a Garrison not ten miles away while we goet on with the real aspects of soldieriong such as golf, point to point and Mess parties while working out what foreign jolly I can scam under the guise of AT.
well, if we walk away from an 8x8 project, then we spend years and a £1 Billion looking at everyone else’s 8x8 armoured taxis, before saying, nah, and going right back to were we started and buying the one we walked away from in the first place.....BOXER

rinse, wash repeat across dozens of projects, et voila! Huge overspends with nothing to show for it.

Anyway within 18 months I will be in leafy village commuting to a Garrison not ten miles away while we goet on with the real aspects of soldieriong such as golf, point to point and Mess parties while working out what foreign jolly I can scam under the guise of AT.
They make the point that most of the attention, and nearly all of the fûckwittery can be traced to having to come in on budget +0% and -0.5%, every year.

We're not allowed to spend over multi-year contracts up front, nor can we invest to get better VfM.

But against that, if we were allowed multi-year budgets, we'd spend it like a teenager with their first student loan check...

They make the point that most of the attention, and nearly all of the fûckwittery can be traced to having to come in on budget +0% and -0.5%, every year.

We're not allowed to spend over multi-year contracts up front, nor can we invest to get better VfM.

But against that, if we were allowed multi-year budgets, we'd spend it like a teenager with their first student loan check...
It’s no different in business. Investors expect their money to be spent on what it was raised for in the timeframe it was invested for. If the business is publicly traded, market analysts expect the business to deliver what it said it will deliver. And annuality is equally prevalent because business files accounts and reports annually.

The big difference is that if you fail to deliver on time, cost and budget in industry you tend to get fired. In Defence you get promoted and posted on the basis of perceived performance rather than actual result.

That's not true. There are plenty of businesses where mediocrity is rewarded.

You describe an ideal, not the actuality.

Just wondering if it is still the case that there are upwards of 70+ Regular OF4 capitalised at £150k sitting in Reserve OF4 PIDs capitalised at £15k?

Happy to help Mr Cummings.

It’s no different in business. Investors expect their money to be spent on what it was raised for in the timeframe it was invested for. If the business is publicly traded, market analysts expect the business to deliver what it said it will deliver. And annuality is equally prevalent because business files accounts and reports annually.

The big difference is that if you fail to deliver on time, cost and budget in industry you tend to get fired. In Defence if you're a senior or very senior officer you get promoted and posted on the basis of perceived performance rather than actual result.
FOC

Yokel

LE
Surely that is part of the problem? Things are perceived as good or bad (including personal performance, suitability for promotion etc) far more than they are assessed on the basis of evidence or measurable objectives?

Such is life. Reputation is everything.

Surely that is part of the problem? Things are perceived as good or bad (including personal performance, suitability for promotion etc) far more than they are assessed on the basis of evidence or measurable objectives?

Such is life. Reputation is everything.
Reputations can quite easily be manufactured and often are if you're one of the chosen. A reputation should be earned though and earned by being judged on performance against set objectives, the OJAR/SJAR is supposed to cover that isn't it? The higher you go the higher the person who sets your objectives and who judges you on performance against them.

To be fair I've known SNCO/WOs who have a much trumpeted reputation too, many of whom didn't exactly project that to those they managed but were still judged to have the sun shining out of their Arrse by those reporting on them.

I don't have any answer to the failures of the reporting system unless you instigate a completely independant monitoring body that selects candidates for suitability for key appointments* based on visits and interviews up & down the subjects sphere of influence and with free reign to check any and all relevant reports/documentation. Probably too costly and time consuming and as is often said, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

* Key appointments can also mean WOs as well as Offrs

Good news for the cider imbibers, but was building from scratch really the most cost-effective option?

'New jobs will be created in a Somerset village following an announcement by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

'Thales has been awarded a £330M contract by the MoD to supply and maintain next-generation sonar systems for the Royal Navy. The sonar systems will be installed on the navy's new Dreadnought class submarines, which will enter service in the early-2030s. The contract will protect 50 existing jobs within Thales' base in Templecombe and will create up to 30 more over the life of the contract. Jeremy Quin MP, minister for defence procurement, made the announcement on a visit to Templecombe on Thursday morning (Febraury 27).'

The site of the proposed extension to Thales' Templecombe base

The site of the proposed extension to Thales' Templecombe base (Image: Daniel Mumby)

Latest Threads