"Boris Johnson to take aim at MoD over wasted cash..."

Hmmm, will there f@@k.
Indeed the Army keeps focusing on Light Infantry, historical regimental cap badges and very little else.

Indeed the Army keeps focusing on Light Infantry, historical regimental cap badges and very little else.
I hear that HQ Army uses agile working practices and these are coming to HQ R Signals. There are some highly paid Retd Off MOD CS quaking at the though of having to justify their existence on a daily basis.

Time will tell. If DfID is being taken off the table as a target, the focus on those still in the crosshairs, like MoD, will become sharper to deliver something meaningful and spectacular.
hopefully, but the links between senior officers and industry run very deep.

I hear that HQ Army uses agile working practices and these are coming to HQ R Signals. There are some highly paid Retd Off MOD CS quaking at the though of having to justify their existence on a daily basis.
Agile, sounds very agile.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unsurprisingly tensions are developing

Can't read it - what's the blob getting sad about?

Donny

ADC
Can't read it - what's the blob getting sad about?
I don’t know if this link will work for you (it does for me), but you can get behind the FT paywall by using Google News. Try ‘Defence review 2020 FT’, click ‘news’ and this is the top link.

Edit: no, it goes straight to the subscription page so you’ll have to use the Google News route if you want to read it. In summary, Chiefs want the review to recommend buying more ships, tanks and planes. Other officials in Whitehall want an outcome involving greater use of soft power, Special Forces and Cyber. Disagreement means the NSC discussion papers currently fudge it. As a result Boris Johnson postponed a NSC meeting last Wednesday. Side issue: FT comments that the issue raises questions about Mark Sedwill being both the Cabinet Secretary and the National Security Adviser.

Last edited:
the issue rises questions about Mark Sedwill being both the Cabinet Secretary and the National Security Adviser
That one will run and run.

We're due another SDSR - which highlights the lunacy of doing them at 5yr intervals when you're talking about programmes that span 10-15 years from approval to kit entering service.

If that SDSR is done properly, it should identify what we want to do in the defence and security sphere and why, plus create a force structure, gap analysis and cost. At the same time, budget options for neutral change, funding increase and funding cuts need to be played out and decisions made as to what gives best VFM.

Trouble is, if the expectation has been set that defence and security are getting no more money, then you end up in a cutting knife-fight in short order. Particularly if you haven't got enough people, can't get your ships to sea, haven't got enough spare parts / ammo to keep your aircraft flying etc.

There should be a modest increase - to be spent primarily on people and log support rather than new tanks. But that would make people very unhappy.

There should be a modest increase - to be spent primarily on people and log support rather than new tanks. But that would make certain people very unhappy.
Fixed that for you, unless you're suggesting that no-one wants an increase spent on personnel.

Well there are those that can't recruit to their approved levels - partly but by no means entirely not their fault. Then there's those whose approved levels are too low. I know who has the more deserving case....

There should be a modest increase - to be spent primarily on people and log support rather than new tanks. But that would make people very unhappy.

HOW DARE YOU!
As we speak, careers are being forged around planning to fight the evil Russian hordes on the sweeping plains of Latvia!
Cant you see it now, 100 tanks, sweeping majestically across the the Suwalki Gap like a herd of armoured wilderbeasts

HOW DARE YOU!
As we speak, careers are being forged around planning to fight the evil Russian hordes on the sweeping plains of Latvia!
Cant you see it now, 100 tanks, sweeping majestically across the the Suwalki Gap like a herd of armoured wilderbeasts
I'm old enough to remember when they planned to do that with MRA4........

Just before anyone gets excited and thinks they may have planted another grove of magic money trees it looks like the RN have wasted many times their budget, yet again

Last edited:
Just before anyone gets excited and thinks they may have planted another grove of magic money trees it looks like the RN have wasted many times their budget, yet again
Before blaming "the RN", for the first one perhaps one should read the report? I think you'll find it's down to the MoD / DIO / RR / BAE / AWE - Navy not really having much expertise in civil engineering.

Crowsnest may be different.

Before blaming "the RN", for the first one perhaps one should read the report? I think you'll find it's down to the MoD / DIO / RR / BAE / AWE - Navy not really having much expertise in civil engineering.

Crowsnest may be different.
It's the RN as far as I am concerned, they are the customer and control the procurement which those other departments/organisations deliver on their behalf.

It's the RN as far as I am concerned, they are the customer and control the procurement which those other departments/organisations deliver on their behalf.
No, they don't. The Navy (bizarrely) doesn't have real control over the Submarine Delivery Agency that owns the budget for these.

Yokel

LE
No, they don't. The Navy (bizarrely) doesn't have real control over the Submarine Delivery Agency that owns the budget for these.
But the Submarine Delivery Authority was meant to provide better project and financial management by stopping it from conflicting with other naval projects and programmes. What went wrong?

I have not read the Crowsnest story - but I assume it can be sorted out, but it will take more time.

But the Submarine Delivery Authority was meant to provide better project and financial management by stopping it from conflicting with other naval projects and programmes. What went wrong?
Same script, same outcome

I have not read the Crowsnest story - but I assume it can be sorted out, but it will take more time.
And time costs money

Latest Threads