"Boris Johnson to take aim at MoD over wasted cash..."

How many times over the years have I seen stationery stored in a cabinet suitable for above Secret material, right down to the Manifoil lock (*digital alternatives now available for the terminally stupid)? Many, is the answer and normally guarded by a E grade CS or a bossy Sgt.
How many still had the default combination?

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally I think the effort would be better spent closer to the shop floor. Engagement of the sponsor (the importance of) is proven with AGILE and I think features heavily with PRINCE2 AGILE, though it’s all a bit obvious ie assume nothing, take an active interest and actually communicate. Perhaps Shriv should establish a centre of excellence for project, portfolio etc management not just send people on one week courses. And open it to all ranks.
Do we need strategic focus, or does senior management just need to empower those below?
You're using AGILE so often you're at risk of sounding like one of the DPS gang, who really don't practise AGILE at all.

US DoD guide to AGILE BS

But whilst AGILE and all the other are relevant and have their place, they're only tools to be used in the appropriate situations and a lot of MoDs procurement doesn't need these approaches.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
It needs some body, or organisation, who has the authority to over-ride individual Programme Managers to ensure that they are in lock-step with their fellow Programme Managers, and not just chucking the “too hard“ stuff over the wall in order to save their own Programme.

Call that a Portfolio Office, a controlling mind, or whatever. But stove-piped exceptionalism needs to stop.
It needs to exert that influence across all TLBs. The way we go it now at TLB and OC level is why we lack strategic coherence. So, in my mind it would be in HO, probably under MILCAP and C&FD.

You're using AGILE so often you're at risk of sounding like one of the DPS gang, who really don't practise AGILE at all.

US DoD guide to AGILE BS

But whilst AGILE and all the other are relevant and have their place, they're only tools to be used in the appropriate situations and a lot of MoDs procurement doesn't need these approaches.
Careful he might be a six sigma black belt!

They are dull f*ckers.

US DoD guide to AGILE BS

Possibly, the ME of my last place was delivered using AGILE. That only worked due to very strong leadership. The key takeaway for me was Communication and sponsor interaction. I’ve always felt that there’s a massive responsibility to shape a capability from the people receiving it and in a lot of cases not just a bored SO2 turning up to the odd meeting unprepared and not knowing anything.
I will add that apart from a few teams, the entirety of Cisco uses Agile practices. I think that the transition was painful for them and if you didn’t like it you left.

Came up in conversation with a friend the other week. He really wants to PM bolstered in formal training - and what he sees as over-hopefulness addressed.

He also got very angry about QA. He’s currently involved in a project with a seven-stage QA process. The client continually bangs on about QA but has asked him to only do stages, one, two and seven to save cost...!

Something outside defence, BTW, but still public-sector.
The MoD has invested heavily in project management training for a long time; it really shouldn’t have a training gap or be using PMs who aren’t trained. Sure, they’ve got to get the experience bit of SQEP too and, churn, it’s quite likely that people are running projects with less than ideal experience. TBH that’s par for the course everywhere

I tend to the view that education is equally, if not more, important for senior program leadership. Education at a level that develops critical thinking and develops a professional interest in the discipline of project management.

The MoD has invested heavily in project management training for a long time; it really shouldn’t have a training gap or be using PMs who aren’t trained. Sure, they’ve got to get the experience bit of SQEP too and, churn, it’s quite likely that people are running projects with less than ideal experience. TBH that’s par for the course everywhere

I tend to the view that education is equally, if not more, important for senior program leadership. Education at a level that develops critical thinking and develops a professional interest in the discipline of project management.
It has in DE&S as a recruiting/retention tool. I believe that Mr John H*** was behind this. I think everywhere else is “go and do APMP/PRINCE 2”...isn’t AGILE great!? Unfortunately people are still being given projects to do but not empowered to deliver them and there seems to be nil acceptance that projects are inherently risky and need support ie going back to your earlier point about strategic sponsorship.

Yokel

LE
Getting away from formal Project Management qualifications and such SO1 shop talk, I think Dominic Cumming's proposal to break the stranglehold Oxbridge graduates (particularly PPE - what good is that?) have on Government and Groupthink is a brilliant idea, but will result in pushback. I have read posts on ARRSE from an Army Officer berating non Arts graduates in the commissioned ranks. I mean - really?

Will there be things like PDCA, analysis of alternatives,peer review, and learning from experience and root cause analysis?

Last edited:
I have read posts on ARRSE from an Army Officer berating non Arts graduates in the commissioned ranks. I mean - really?
Gen dit.

Siggy. What degree do have Sir?
2Lt. Art history.
Siggy. What use is that?
2Lt. Well, it got me a commission.
Siggy. I meant in the real world.

Well, after all the threats and drama, looks like a spot of rowing back in progress on the much mooted changes.

Yokel

LE
You've never read Philosophy, have you?
No, why? I do watch videos of Sir Roger Scruton though! Also Jordan Peterson, Stephen Pinker, and so on. Surely Philosophy is about rational thought?

just a load of old Greek.
No. I think you are thinking of 'The Classics' which Boris Johnson studied. Not sure how it helps in the modern World though - unles you want to be a civil servant or a Tory MP.

You Hellenocentrist, you..
Who is Helen?

Last edited:
No, why? I do watch videos of Sir Roger Scruton though! Also Jordan Peterson, Stephen Pinker, and so on.

No. I think you are thinking of 'The Classics' which Boris Johnson studied. Not sure how it helps in the modern World though.

Who is Helen?
She's a bird from Troy. Originally Sparta. Bit of a goddess apparently.

Well, after all the threats and drama, looks like a spot of rowing back in progress on the much mooted changes.
Time will tell. If DfID is being taken off the table as a target, the focus on those still in the crosshairs, like MoD, will become sharper to deliver something meaningful and spectacular.

Latest Threads