"Boris Johnson to take aim at MoD over wasted cash..."

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Blimey.

Dominic Cummings will personally prioritise overhauling defence procurement in 2020, according to this morning's Times...

(sorry, it is behind the Times paywall but you can get the gist of it from the headline and the first few paragraphs)

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Gosh, holding people to account and sacking poor performers. No wonder people are worried.

And there lies the rub. The easy way to save money is cuts. But as we arrsers know, the MOD could save gazillions if it was more efficient.
as could many other organisations

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Blimey.

Dominic Cummings will personally prioritise overhauling defence procurement in 2020, according to this morning's Times...

(sorry, it is behind the Times paywall but you can get the gist of it from the headline and the first few paragraphs)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6d85fa28-1f8e-11ea-bf0a-65463b7bd0d0
Cummings is of the opinion that too few decisions in the CS and MOD are evidence based, more are just best guesses. So I think all big procurement decisions in the future will have Cummings on their case asking for the underlying data and why that justifies the decision.

In the CS at least Cummings is also of the opinion that there are no penalties for failure. Going forward, I think you will see more underperforming senior CS looking for other employment activities.

Whether underperforming senior officers in the military can be treated in a similar way, I don't know.

Wordsmith

Cummings is of the opinion that too few decisions in the CS and MOD are evidence based, more are just best guesses. So I think all big procurement decisions in the future will have Cummings on their case asking for the underlying data and why that justifies the decision.

In the CS at least Cummings is also of the opinion that there are no penalties for failure. Going forward, I think you will see more underperforming senior CS looking for other employment activities.

Whether underperforming senior officers in the military can be treated in a similar way, I don't know.

Wordsmith
Good practice for the NHS, mind.

The irony is strong with this one, 9 years of doing nothing being replaced with blame culture, I wonder if along with the defective senior CS they sacking themselves.

MOD procurement has been a clusterfuck since before Wellington, if you read some of Wellington's accounts of supply to the Army during the Peninsula Wars there are many correlations between then and now. It will take a lot of tears and tantrums to overturn close to 200 years of screwing procurement up.

So an end to Admirals turning their noses up at an offer of 70 brand new UH-70 Blackhawks in favour of 28 much more expensive and more limited Widcats?

Whats that? The same Admiral who ended up on the board of Wasteland a year later?

Certainly. Anyone who has any personal experience of the NHS will have seen for themselves the waste and wasteful practices. (Well, they'll see what goes on at the front end, at least.)

There seem to be many who think that tackling robustly such issues is the first step to complete privatisation of the service. They believe that endlessly pouring increasing amounts of money down a hole is the only way to deal with it and they believe that confronting health tourism is fascist.

Unfortunately the NHS is becoming less of a health service and more of a political proxy.

Purple_Flash

ADC
So an end to Admirals turning their noses up at an offer of 70 brand new UH-70 Blackhawks in favour of 28 much more expensive and more limited Widcats?

Whats that? The same Admiral who ended up on the board of Wasteland a year later?
Really? True dit?

Can we assume that is not a spelling mistake?

The irony is strong with this one, 9 years of doing nothing being replaced with blame culture, I wonder if along with the defective senior CS they sacking themselves.
No I don't think they sacking themselves(sic).

Unlike whoever (barely) taught you English should be.

Really? True dit?

Sadly yes,

in 2007, at the height of people getting blown up driving around the IED infested roads of Helmand, the US offered us a batch of straight off the production line UH-60 Limas complete with spares, training and support to get our people off the roads - cost? £500 million. Turned down

Our VSO's all consuming drive to obtain post service non executive Directorships costs lives

Gosh, holding people to account and sacking poor performers. No wonder people are worried.
...steady on! No need for that sort of radicalism y'know ! The very idea!...

I hope they also reward competence. When using the carrot and stick approach, I trust the carrot will not be shoved up the nether regions.

Wordsmith
The sooner they turn more of MOD procurement over to the private sector the better - CS and occasional military staff simply aren't incentivised to buy the right thing in the right way at the right time. Proper gainshare/painshare reaps big dividends.

Oyibo

LE
From the Telegraph:

1576492752255.png

Alamo

LE
Sadly yes,

in 2007, at the height of people getting blown up driving around the IED infested roads of Helmand, the US offered us a batch of straight off the production line UH-60 Limas complete with spares, training and support to get our people off the roads - cost? £500 million. Turned down

Our VSO's all consuming drive to obtain post service non executive Directorships costs lives
Got any evidence for any of this?

Wordsmith
So Cummings is trying to implement best practice in the CS?

Latest Threads