Boris Johnson - Liar?

We're still well above 60% for GEs, though at pretty much a historical low point, with only the 1918 election scoring lower & that with many voters being overseas.
Problems will start when, not if it falls below 50%, IMO a distinct possibility should we have a GE this year.

Do you think we'd have a low turn out? You might be right...

I can see the "despair and exasperation" argument for that, but in the other hand, I bet the Party Machines would glow red hot to get the vote out with so much at stake.

Dunno. Wouldn't put a tenner on either to be honest.

Do you think we'd have a low turn out? You might be right...

I can see the "despair and exasperation" argument for that, but in the other hand, I bet the Party Machines would glow red hot to get the vote out with so much at stake.

Dunno. Wouldn't put a tenner on either to be honest.
I know we have a low turnout & low voter motivation. It's a pretty plain signal when four out of ten eligible voters don't consider the future direction of their nation worth a few minutes of their time, once every five years.
Heck; there was a better turnout for the EU referendum at 72.2%, despite EU election turnout being at an all time low of 43% the last twice. In 1979 it was bad enough at 62%.
FPTP has a lot of the blame for this, as many people don't see the 2 main parties representing their viewpoint in any way whatsoever & voting for the party you despise least is hardly an inspiring thought.
Get 1st AV introduced & at least the majority will feel they have some stake in who their MP is.

I know we have a low turnout & low voter motivation. It's a pretty plain signal when four out of ten eligible voters don't consider the future direction of their nation worth a few minutes of their time, once every five years.
Y'know, when you put it like that... yeah.

Heck; there was a better turnout for the EU referendum at 72.2%, despite EU election turnout being at an all time low of 43% the last twice. In 1979 it was bad enough at 62%.
FPTP has a lot of the blame for this, as many people don't see the 2 main parties representing their viewpoint in any way whatsoever & voting for the party you despise least is hardly an inspiring thought.
Get 1st AV introduced & at least the majority will feel they have some stake in who their MP is.
Absolutely, 100%, could not even begin to agree more. We need a form of PR.

As you may have noticed, I think UKIP and all it stands for are just plain wrong- but they got approximately, what was it, 10% of the vote a GE or two ago, receiving 1/650th of the seats.

Similar problems for the Newt-worshipping tre huggers.

It just ain't right.

It's another thing too-the Opposition are treated with jeering contempt by whoever's in Government, and the Opposition treat the Government as barely sentient, immoral criminals.

Those who have views they partly see agreed with by the other side are further turned off by this all or nothing tribalism.

....what do you think about voting remotely (app or whatever)?

....what do you think about voting remotely (app or whatever)?
Sounds like extra complexity and the potential for serious 'irregularities'.

Much concern over postal votes being open to abuse.

Imagine if you will an abusive partner or family member bullying a weaker partner to vote for their party of choice whilst the abuser stands over them whilst they vote through an app on their electronic advice.

In short, an app would remove the privacy of the act of voting. That's not even getting into hacking risks

Sounds like extra complexity and the potential for serious 'irregularities'.

Much concern over postal votes being open to abuse.

Imagine if you will an abusive partner or family member bullying a weaker partner to vote for their party of choice whilst the abuser stands over them whilst they vote through an app on their electronic advice.

In short, an app would remove the privacy of the act of voting. That's not even getting into hacking risks
I think I broadly agree, but if some little clever clogs comes up with ways to encourage more voting I'm all for it.

Latest Threads