Boris, Dave & Airports.

How do you see the argument over a third runway at Thiefrow vice a new Estuary International panning out?

Could Boris leave the party? Will Dave cave? Or, is the whole thing a clever little subterfuge to make the sandy haired one look good to Londoners?

I may be biased as I currently work in the shipping industry, but rather than building another runway for Heathrow, would they not be better investing in and even expanding our port facilities around the UK? I heard mentioned on the news an argument that this extra runway would be to increase trade, but surely more trade goes in and out of the UK on the huge container ships than it does on aircraft?

The home counties /London lot get more government investment per capita than anywhere else in the UK , so fcuk em , build another 10 runways if it brings more cash into the UK.

I heard mentioned on the news an argument that this extra runway would be to increase trade, but surely more trade goes in and out of the UK on the huge container ships than it does on aircraft?
There's more to trade than just the delivery of goods.

Extend Thiefrow, all the transport hubs and infrastructure already exist there.
It's a no brainer.

Thiefrow, oh good it can join;

Bliar, Broon, Gruinard etc etc...................

There's a new trend starting and it is shite.

How do you see the argument over a third runway at Thiefrow vice a new Estuary International panning out?

Could Boris leave the party? Will Dave cave? Or, is the whole thing a clever little subterfuge to make the sandy haired one look good to Londoners?
Estuary Intl. shifts all the bad things that people vote against OUT of the London mayoral voting area (noise, congestion, pollution etc), and yet retains all the good elements for the City.

3rd runway at LHR has the opposite effect.

Go figure!

Now work out why Boris supports airport expansion for London but near, not in, London.

Ressurect Maplin Sands airport!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I may be biased as I currently work in the shipping industry, but rather than building another runway for Heathrow, would they not be better investing in and even expanding our port facilities around the UK?
No. And what is more, some of us are sick to death of old sailors begging in the streets flogging the Big Issue. It is a shite magazine and the reason you have a peg-leg is because you did not take care of the two legs you were issued with. Now shuffle off quietly.

But in answer to the OP? Build a third runway, build a new airport in the Thames estuary. Make your lovely M25 six lanes wider then choke on the fumes. Some of us couldn't give a rats what you do down there.

If you could stop relocating up here with your horrible soft southern accents that would be nice. But other than that, build the ****ing pyramids. Most of the UK doesn't care what you do.

I'm patiently waiting for them to finish concreting over the last few square miles so the rest of us can hold them to ransom with our water supplies ;)

No. And what is more, some of us are sick to death of old sailors begging in the streets flogging the Big Issue. It is a shite magazine and the reason you have a peg-leg is because you did not take care of the two legs you were issued with. Now shuffle off quietly.
Well actually I don't have anything to do with the shipping side of it, I work for a company which moves 30ft shipping containers full of raw materials by road, rail & sea all over the world (do I get a chufty badge?), so I still have both legs in fine working order and wouldn't wipe my arrse on the big issue!
Now I think about it, huge container ships probably couldn't penetrate the huge offshore waste of time windfarms that have cropped up right down the coast anyway...

Extend Thiefrow, all the transport hubs and infrastructure already exist there.
It's a no brainer.
Thiefrow has been Thiefrow for as long as I can remember, has to do more with the tendancy of any airline/handling agent in the world whose flight has transited LHR to blame the staff there for lost/stolen luggage than it actually being a particular hotbed of thievery.

Gitwack is newer and has to do with the quality of the staff.

Without doubt Cast Iron Dave is preparing for a U turn on his decision to not build runway 3 at Heathrow, but consider this. How long did it take to build the HS1 line from London to the Channel tunnel, with planning inquiries appeals to courts and compulsory purchases it took well over a decade.

If the intention of extending Heathrow to a third runway is to invest in infrastructure while the economy is low, thus creating jobs it sounds a good idea, but this will all be done on "printed money" and then we have to consider that 3 villages will be subsumed into Heathrow to accomodate the extra runway. That will cost more "printed money".

Meanwhile while we are financing and purchasing the space and materiel, and up to our necks in court cases, Frankfurt, Paris and Amsterdam have already expanded their airports. Amsterdam currently has 5 runways and a 6th with terminals is proposed to be built on reclaimed land into the North Sea.

We have missed the boat on airport expansion, and missed it almost 2 decades ago. A short term measure would be to allow flying 24 hours per day (given that aircraft are now much quieter), and thus give Heathrow a 20% increase in throughput.

Too far outside the M25... and North Weald, London City and Biggin Hill are too small. You could perhaps make a case for Civvying Northolt and putting a longer runway in....

And put the brave Ryan Air Farce out of their new grots?