Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boris’s Progress.

With Boris Johnson seemingly on the threshold of beating Jeremy Hunt and becoming Prime Minister- despite the customary controversy snapping at his heels all the way to the finish-line- I thought that it might be useful to have a thread recording his progress: his peccadillos, promises, performance and, of course, gaffes, howlers and balls-ups.

As it stands Boris’s personal life has come under scrutiny with a complete set of today’s (22.06.19) national newspapers’ front pages reporting an apparent tiff with his girlfriend Carrie Symonds.
Today he is facing Conservative Party members in live televised hustings in Birmingham.
Boris has obviously got the audience behind him, laughing in the right places and applauding at every opportunity. The questioner - radio host Iain Dale- getting grief from them for asking about Boris’s personal life.
It’s not all going Boris’s way- one audience member asked why he had said “**** business” when talking to the Belgian ambassador about Brexit. Another asked about his perceived history of divisiveness.
Whether he beats Jeremy Hunt- who is selling himself by standing on his record as an entrepreneur and his time running the NHS and asking the party to “elect your own Jeremy!”- remains to be seen...

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Will he be the first single PM since Ted?
This and other probing questions need to be answered.

The difference being the lack of rumours of BJ having a keen interest in soft furnishings and uphill gardening

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The difference being the lack of rumours of BJ having a keen interest in soft furnishings and uphill gardening
True, very true. We could get too see a new bit of totty every six months or so which could deflect from matters of state when things go a bit tits up, so to speak.

True, very true. We could get too see a new bit of totty every six months or so which could deflect from matters of state when things go a bit tits up, so to speak.

Funnily enough I bet that wouldn't do him any harm whatsoever.
Today's audiences are conditioned to the reality TV bread and circuses of celebrity culture so 'Who's Boris banging?' is a whole raft of headlines.

After the attention Arrse devoted to the cause and effects of the recent Peterborough by-election - well the Conservatives are about to lose one of their MPs in another coming by-election.
But alongsidee the censuring of Mark Field for ejecting a protestor and this very minor (IMO) Boris domestic, I wonder whether the opprobrium that's being stoked will have a significant affect or whether, actually, it may garner some sympathy amongst those not so easily outraged?

I'll also add, as has been mentioned before elsewhere, 40+ child sexual exploitioners have been nicked today.
That, as far as I am concerned, is a much more significant news story.

Boris's progress will be slowed by whatever means his opponents can use.

He has an argument with his partner which is recorded. Does his neighbour wait around with their phone waiting for an argument in the early hours of the morning?
Then the first 'paper to break the news is the Guardian, hardly his biggest supporter. I wonder if his neighbour has a direct line to the editor?
Boris is going to face the full investigative performance of the Guardian, the Mirror and the Times before the final vote. Maybe he should have his indiscretions published on the front page of the Telegraph by next Wednesday?

That’s an interesting one isn’t it? Despite the seeming anachronism of the appeal of a conventional nuclear family, appeal it undoubtedly does. There is a safe quality about a man with a wife and two kids.
People undoubtedly found reassurance in Ted Heath’s combination of extra-curricular activities- he looked sufficiently decisive, active, manly and ‘one of the lads’ at the helm of his racing yacht, whilst conducting an orchestra lent him an aura of control, sensitivity and appreciation of fine things.
Boris does the same to some extent with his much-trumpeted love of the classics and he has been married and had children.

He has an argument with his partner which is recorded. Does his neighbour wait around with their phone waiting for an argument in the early hours of the morning?
Then the first 'paper to break the news is the Guardian, hardly his biggest supporter. I wonder if his neighbour has a direct line to the editor?
This. The “good” neighbour was bleating about concern for Boris’s girlfriend but I don’t see how releasing a tape recording of her private life to the press fits in with that- I wonder if they asked her whether she minded before passing it onto the Guardian... along with the police incident number and the id number of the attending police vehicle.

I'll also add, as has been mentioned before elsewhere, 40+ child sexual exploitioners have been nicked today.
That, as far as I am concerned, is a much more significant news story.

And in Boris, I think we may have someone who will stand up and say 'Hang on a tick, hang on. 40 suspected child abusers lifted in a single go and the question of whether my Missus broke a plate on my head is the thing you're most interested in? I don't think it is, y'know! Hundreds of kids abused, the police appear to have rounded up the perpetrators and the story is about whether I need to go to John Lewis for some more crockery?'

I fear some of our other leaders are too scared of the opprobrium they'd attract from the usual suspects if passing such entirely fair comments (and when Javid said 'yes, that community has a problem with this' he went under-reported as the usual 'he's a racist!' hue and cry couldn't be raised). Boris doesn't give a toss, and this may prove to be one of his strengths - assuming he doesn't pull off the apparently impossible and lose to Hunt

I like that Boris has said 'it's none of your business, next question'. Wish he'd been as robust over 'Scousegate'

I like that Boris has said 'it's none of your business, next question'. Wish he'd been as robust over 'Scousegate'
I agree, if Boris’s domestic tiff had deteriorated to the point where the police were actually needed, and he or his girlfriend were charged with a criminal offence- then it would have been other people’s business.
They weren’t and it’s not.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When/if BoJo becomes PM, he can arrange for the police to check and ensure his neighbours are well and safe, at 2am, 3am, 4am. I am sure his neighbours would appreciate BoJo's concern.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
And in Boris, I think we may have someone who will stand up and say 'Hang on a tick, hang on. 40 suspected child abusers lifted in a single go and the question of whether my Missus broke a plate on my head is the thing you're most interested in? I don't think it is, y'know! Hundreds of kids abused, the police appear to have rounded up the perpetrators and the story is about whether I need to go to John Lewis for some more crockery?'

I fear some of our other leaders are too scared of the opprobrium they'd attract from the usual suspects if passing such entirely fair comments (and when Javid said 'yes, that community has a problem with this' he went under-reported as the usual 'he's a racist!' hue and cry couldn't be raised). Boris doesn't give a toss, and this may prove to be one of his strengths - assuming he doesn't pull off the apparently impossible and lose to Hunt

I don’t think newspapers speculation on a live case is something the police and judiciary would be thrilled at.

Especially if it led to 40? Cases of child abuse getting thrown out because the media broke the rules of reporting live cases.

Two people have a row in their house, loud enough to wake up their neighbours and have their neighbours, come outside in the dark and knock the door to make sure everything’s alright.

When they don’t get a response they ring the police.

And this is London. This isn’t my village where everyone knows who’s doing what and to whom.

These were Londoners who were concerned enough to do something.

Feck me the lefty wench on Sky News paper review at the moment is essentially intimating that there’s underlying domestic violence in the relationship.

They are sh1t scared of BJ getting in...

I don’t think newspapers speculation on a live case is something the police and judiciary would be thrilled at.

Especially if it led to 40? Cases of child abuse getting thrown out because the media broke the rules of reporting live cases.

Two people have a row in their house, loud enough to wake up their neighbours and have their neighbours, come outside in the dark and knock the door to make sure everything’s alright.

When they don’t get a response they ring the police.

And this is London. This isn’t my village where everyone knows who’s doing what and to whom.

These were Londoners who were concerned enough to do something.
Except that's not what even the neighbours say happened. The neighbour was on floor 2 and was passing Boris's birds flat on floor 1 via the shared stairwell to collect a takeaway from the front door. They then made the recording outside her internal door, so were actually in the next room. Having claimed to have knocked they called the police, filmed the responding cars plates and having been told by the police everyone was fine they then promptly passed the recording and reg plates to the Grauniad.

Not exactly the actions of the genuinely concerned.

Except that's not what even the neighbours say happened. The neighbour was on floor 2 and was passing Boris's birds flat on floor 1 via the shared stairwell to collect a takeaway from the front door. They then made the recording outside her internal door, so were actually in the next room. Having claimed to have knocked they called the police, filmed the responding cars plates and having been told by the police everyone was fine they then promptly passed the recording and reg plates to the Grauniad.

Not exactly the actions of the genuinely concerned.

It stinks.

Just watching the BBC news channel and they’re still reporting (whining) that Boris is refusing to say anything about the incident last night which prompted a neighbour to tape an argument with his girlfriend before calling the police and sending the tape to the press.

Boris was pointedly asked today whether a man’s private life could affect his chances of becoming Prime Minister. He should have turned it around and asked the counter question: If a man is PM, is he entitled to a private life?