Boresnakes; much good? Any to recommend?

Mongo

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've found they work pretty well, and the fact that they're machine washable is a bonus. However they can leave bits of crud at the start of the bore, more so than with using flanelette.

P

PrinceAlbert

I use a boresnake through my 12 gauge, and it's fine. I've not used one in a rifled barrel though, and question it's effectiveness.

Might be a matter of using both BS and 45x45, then?

Might be a matter of using both BS and 45x45, then?
I think it depends on how clean you you want to get it.

As a quick means of scraping out 95% of the crud as preparation for, or post-firing, a boresnake is a good tool.

For that final 'gleaming in the armory' inspection, you'll probably need a little flannelette - even if it's just for a light coat of oil.

They are a mega bit of kit and always ensure that you put them through the washing machine while the missus is out or you get such a telling off!

Kept one in my DCU pocket at all times while on patrol. Anytime I thought it needed a quick wipe I ran it through. I usually run it through 6 times when detail cleaning, then a patch with oil before racking it in the arms room.

Good for 5.56 but make sure you get one with a reasonable weighty end to pull the lead cord thru' the soiled barrel.

Got some for the SF Pl and we had a problem getting them thru the soiled barrels to facilitate quick pull thru's between shoots.

To clean my rifle after firing.

Rather obvious, really, I'd have thought.

They are a great bit of kit and I use them in .308, 9.3mm and 12 bore. They are a good fast way of acheiving a 99 percent clean in one or two pulls. To deep clean a gun, or rifle though you still have to go back to basics. If you are thinking tour, and a quick pull through, its a million times better than the issue pull through.

They are also ideal for pre-coital cleansing, should you end up pulling anything in the stick-carpet establishments of Andover/Amesbury/Aldershot, and not wish to contract a range of interesting STDs.

I swear by them: before and after every shoot I chuck one a couple of times down the barrel of my rifles, along with a squirt of Brunox on the gas parts. They get a proper clean when they actually need it (in civilian land, more barrels get wrecked by over-zealous cleaning than by shooting).

Just don't get any grit on them, for obvious reasons.

Also, do not put anything in the loop on the 223/5.56 snake: you will get it stuck. You can put a patch through it fine with the bigger ones though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Weapons, Equipment & Rations 17
Porridge_gun Aviation 17
D Officers 66