boots

Discussion in 'RLC' started by 6cats, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello again, dont know if this is the right place to ask this question but i need some advice on buying a pair of boots for my lads birthday, ok he is a driver so i dont think he marches about much, i am looking at Lowa seeker boots are they ok? or can you recomend anything else, i dont know much about military boots so any help would be much appriciated :cat:

2. Why not just give him the money and tell him to buy his own or if your frightened he'll pish it against a wall get him some vouchers for a shop that sells them. Failing that take him out and buy them when he's next home...picks them himself hes got no complaints then :thumleft:

3. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

4. Theres a fantastic shop on most camps, its called Q and M's, real cheap too!

5. You're definitely on a commission ;)

But seeing as you're the advocate; which are their best all-rounders; defenders or peacekeepers?

6. Are you a MILF? If so i can particularly recommend the Knee high PVC ones?

7. Altberg boots are fantastic, and you can get military discount direct from the manufacturer. Furthermore in years to come he will be able to send the boots back for a refurbishment. Can not remember how much it is to do but certainly cheaper than buying a new pair!!!

8. I am also an Altberg devotee but I would strongly advise you to think twice before buying on spec. Yes, a driver has different needs to inf etc but you could end up spending £120 to £180 on something that he either can’t or won’t wear. You need to ask – what will his unit allow him to wear? Has he got a course or op-tour coming up soon? Hot, dry, cold wet…..? Nice idea to surprise him but, IMHO, probably best to get his input.

9. Everybody gets a discount not just military when they get them direct from the manufacturer

and here is a Price schedule for Resole & Refurbishment

WORK TO BE CARRIED OUT LEVEL OF SERVICE TYPES/MAKES
    OF BOOTS PRICE/PAIR

RE TREAD ONLY - eg. Brasher and some models of Meindl, Danner, Scarpa, Merrell, Matterhorn, etc.
    (If in doubt check with factory.) One Various £29.50

RE TREAD LEVEL 2 - Plus new footbeds, laces & D ring replacement
    (Through Lining up to 3 rings). Two Various £34.50

FULL RESOLE - Complete sole (including micro wedge on Brasher) Scarpa, Alt-berg, Merrell, Zamberlan, DB, Daisy Roots, Lowa, etc.
    American Jungle Boots (replacement of sole with Vibram type commando sole). One Most Makes £29.50

FULL RESOLE LEVEL 2 -Plus new footbeds, laces & D ring replacement
    (Up to 3 rings and resticking small areas of rubber rand). Two Most Makes £34.50

FULL RUBBER RAND REPLACEMENT - eg. Brasher and some other makes.
    NOTE: Can only be done with full resole. Brasher and other makes £10.00

FULL REFURBISHMENT - WALKING AND MILITARY BOOTS
    Full resole plus new lining & waterproof membrane and/or replacement of soft leather collar and flex panels if required.
    Replacement D Rings and Ski Hooks where required.
    Small leather patches sewn onto upper to cover flex cracking or excessive wear. One Alt-berg boots only £49.50

FULL REFURBISHMENT LEVEL 2
    Plus new footbeds, laces (and also midsole if necessary). Two Alt-berg boots only £54.50

FULL REFURBISHMENT - MOTORCYCLE BOOTS
    Full resole plus new lining and/or waterproof membrane.
    Replacement of soft leather panels and straps where required.
    Replacement of gear change patches and wear panels where required.
    Replacement of all velcro and also buckles if required.
    Small leather patches sewn to upper to cover flex cracking or excessive scuffing to upper, all seams re-waterproofed and sealed inside boot. One Alt-berg boots only £49.50

FULL REFURBISHMENT - MOTORCYCLE BOOTS LEVEL 2
    Plus new footbeds, laces (and also midsole if necessary) & tin Leder Gris. Two Alt-berg boots only £54.50

MOTORCYCLE BOOTS - REPLACEMENT ZIPS
    *Can only be done with refurbishment. Alt-berg boots only £12.00

'D' RING / SKI HOOK
    Replacement through lining Most makes & models 75p each

REPLACEMENT OF PART OF MICRO WEDGE WHEN DOING A RE TREAD
    eg. replacing worn heel of Brasher Boot - can only be done with re tread service. All appropriate makes £6.00

RESTICKING A SOLE OR A RUBBER RAND
    ie. Completely remove old sole, clean off and prepare upper and re-attach old sole.
    *Alt-berg do not charge for re-sticking their own soles - if there is ever a sole/rand peeling problem, for a period of 2 years after purchase or dependent on reasonable wear and tear. We will re-attach F.O.C. All makes £21.50

EXCEPTIONAL WORK
    Periodically during each year we are asked to carry out work which does not fall into any of the above categories.
    This can range from rucksacks and bikers leather gear to boots that have been damaged.
    If you have work that is of a more unusual/exceptional nature we will be happy to look at it and should we decide to go ahead, we will give you a fixed quote before commencing.

REMEMBER
    Refurbished boots are not new boots - the leather is older and many of the components that we do not replace, although ok, will be showing signs of wear. There is no such thing as new boots for old - the main factor is the condition of the upper leather - look after it and keep the leather supple - don't let it get hard and board like. Normally if the leather is in good condition the boots will be well worth refurbishing.

10. Wow, you could not ask for a more comprehensive post than that! Current employee or ex?

11. Doc Martens...Steel toecap....ox blood red.....18 Holes with..Yellow laces..
    All the rage.....When going Chav Bashing... :threaten:

12. OMG hes British 100%
    Anyway thanks for the help everyone, i will check with him rather than surprise him for his B.day :cat:

13. no just a very regular customer

14. Dont forgwet your bleached 501's red braces and Ben Sherman shirt will you :thumleft:

15. Funk me, I started a post on how can we stop young toms from leaving the Army and I only got 15 replys. Ask a question about chuffin boots and the world replies!!!
    I always found the best boots were in Cheeks in Aldershot, well cheap, blow job only cost a pint!