Boots

I'm a cadet and I'm looking at buying a pair of non-gortex lined brown boots, would anybody have any suggestions on what boots to buy?

Thanks

Last edited:

Fintry

Old-Salt
Im just looking for advice on what boots at the minute

There's loads of threads about boots on here mate. At the top right of the page you can search, then once you've done that if you have any more questions then post on an old thread and someone will no doubt answer.

Ask your detachment commander's advice. Boots are 'kin expensive so it's pointless taking ARRSE advice then rocking up at your det in £80 boots only to be told that they're not appropriate.

If you're determined to get advice off the internet, you'll be better off asking in the ACF forum.

images-18_zps592f4184.jpg

I'm a cadet and I'm looking at buying a pair of non-gortex lined brown boots, would anybody have any suggestions on what boots to buy?

Thanks
Given the fact that you want some Brown non-gortex lined boots then I would have to say taking all factors into account that the best bet would be to buy some non-gortex lined boots that are brown.

Do hope that was helpful.

Don't buy these boots. They are rubbish and made of paper thin weak leather. Get on eBay and start bidding for new/nearly new lowas. You won't regret it and you'll thank me for the advice.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Don't buy these boots. They are rubbish and made of paper thin weak leather. Get on eBay and start bidding for new/nearly new lowas. You won't regret it and you'll thank me for the advice.

Lowa really are very good boots. I've just sold my old Altberg ones to some mug on eBay for £60. I hope his feet are a size smaller than the boots.

I wear Lowas for hill walking /stalking (deer!) very good , Albergs do make good boots also and they are British...almost anyway.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lowas are for winners indeed, however the OP is not a winner, he is a cadet and does not need a pair of 150 quid mountain boots.

Get yourself down the market and get some cheapo 20 quid fake Magnums that come with a free torch or something. All you're gonna be using them for is mincing about the shooting range and the odd weekend of camping with guns. You won't need boots that are capable of taking you up the North face of the Eiger.

When I was a cadet everyone just wore fucked secondhand Combat Highs or DMS. We did alright.

Alternatively these look a bit like Lowas but are less than half the price. They'll probably be alright for cadetting:

http://www.military1st.co.uk/produc...8hBLJeVXj6ymCTuXzCcSB08vAyAhHFJYAwhoC4WPw_wcB

Lowas are for winners indeed, however the OP is not a winner, he is a cadet and does not need a pair of 150 quid mountain boots.

Get yourself down the market and get some cheapo 20 quid fake Magnums that come with a free torch or something. All you're gonna be using them for is mincing about the shooting range and the odd weekend of camping with guns. You won't need boots that are capable of taking you up the North face of the Eiger.

When I was a cadet everyone just wore fucked secondhand Combat Highs or DMS. We did alright.

Alternatively these look a bit like Lowas but are less than half the price. They'll probably be alright for cadetting:

http://www.military1st.co.uk/produc...8hBLJeVXj6ymCTuXzCcSB08vAyAhHFJYAwhoC4WPw_wcB

The boxhead lads call mil-tec a rather more uncomplimentary Muell-Tec. "Muell" being the boxhead for "rubbish". I have also heard them referred to as the boxhead W3b-T3x, not saying they are, just what I've heard...........other disclaimers are available.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The boxhead lads call mil-tec a rather more uncomplimentary Muell-Tec. "Muell" being the boxhead for "rubbish". I have also heard them referred to as the boxhead W3b-T3x, not saying they are, just what I've heard...........other disclaimers are available.

To reiterate my point again:

These boots are for a child who will be wearing them very occasionally at weekends and one or two nights a week in a portacabin.

They don't need the Boxhead SF seal of approval. They just need to look cool so the lad feels part of the team.

To reiterate my point again:

These boots are for a child who will be wearing them very occasionally at weekends and one or two nights a week in a portacabin.

They don't need the Boxhead SF seal of approval. They just need to look cool so the lad feels part of the team.

Yes, yes, just providing some information.

My plod force ARV boys used to buy the W3b-t3x ones if they didn't have the issue Danners in the QM. They used to last around 6 months before they started to lose shape, so for a kiddo on evenings, weekends and an annual battle camp they should last.

As general info if peoples check the boxhead and Austrian ebay site's with the search terms Lowa, Lowa bergstiefel, Lowa militaer or kampfstiefel as you can often pick up bargains of new or hardly worn Lowa.

Also, the boxhead/Austrian military boot contracts are for kampfstiefel; these are made by Lowa, meindl and Haix to a standardized design and people always refer to them as Lowa. So don't be put off by Meindl or Haix.