Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Trooped_Again, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My work boots have disintegrated in the desert (Steel-toe Caterpillars), can anyone suggest a decent brand (up to c. £200) that will let me bugger about on site (predominantly Middle East desert) and won't let me down?

2. Massive thread on boots. Also try the search.
  3. I would have done, but I am at heart a lazy bugger...if you'll pardon the expression
  4. Ammo boots, the Desert Rats seemed to do alright wearing ,em.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Many Thanks, the majority of the boots discussed are geared towards a combat role (no surprise there), I'm not doing anything like, just walking round construction sites. Problem is that the heat of the sand over here debonds the soles and any other glued part. The problem occurs when I go anywhere near an oil & gas site, the safety nazi wants the boots to be steel-toe and oil resistant soled.

A lot of the folks on here are probably looking at Lowa or Altberg, but the predominance of these boots do not have the steel-toe (at least not that I have seen).

Many Thanks Again,

I'll keep looking (and I'll use the search function!)

6. What kind of gun fires those then?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A safety boot manufacturer by any chance?

Does it have to be steel toe capped as there are many lightweight boots out there now with composite caps to the same level as the steel toe cap
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Redwings lasted me fine in Egypt and Algeria still going after 5 years.... Twice resoled
  9. 'fraid so, the guys who are dealing with safety are predominantly Indians, led by a European, the Indian will be absolute in his interpretation of the rules, if it says 'steel' then it's got to be steel...I'm past questioning or arguing with them, they wear you down and life's to short.
  10. converse do a pair with a composite toe
  11. Could you lay your hands on a pair of blundstones? Agree about the Cat boots, they were crap.

Ps. Not sure if they're available overseas but I'm currently wearing Ascent performance composite toe work boots. Very light with good ankle and arch support.
  12. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Check out Goliath footwear, they do safety boots and may have an option, but not sure.
  13. Altberg stitch their soles to the rest of the boot I believe, so if your problem is the soles dropping off due to glue melting then get yourself a pair of them.