Boots! which ones?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by hobnob, Nov 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My problem is I hate issue boots, the just are uncomfortable.
    What boot should I go for a pair of magnums or a pair Lowa combat boots, or is there something better out there. Pros? - Cons?

2. In what way are they uncomfortable?, too heavy? too stiff? too hot?
    Lowas are about as good as boots get, but Magnums are nice and comfy if you're not doing anything too strenuous.

3. have you tried slippers and staying at home

4. Depends on what you want to do in them? And also it's very personal...

I like Magnum Amazons for loafing around in.

New issue "Lowa type" Pro Boot for cold weather

and Lowa's for tabbing.....

But Issue Assault boots are OK :)

5. They do not agree with my feet. The size is either to big or to small there is no right size I have tried from size 9 small to 10 large and none of them fit.

I want boots that I can tab, run in I want a boot that I can do anything in that is not going to piss me off and keep my feet from ripping to shreds.

6. I have always found pro boots to be good however the gortex lined ones take an age to dry if they get wet inside. Lowa lead the way in the boot dept though if you are going for the best of the best, never heard any complaints about them!

7. I have always gone for Altbergs, never had any probs with them but i believe that Lowa are just as good and lighter.

8. Lowa mountain Boots

Believe me I've tried them all and used most of them on Summer/Winter MLT courses. The Lowas are without doubt the best for tabbing and waterproof abilities. Followed closely by Altbergs....

9. Lowa mountain Boots

Believe me I've tried them all and used most of them on Summer/Winter MLT courses. The Lowas are without doubt the best for tabbing and waterproof abilities. Followed closely by Altbergs....

10. Magnums are good for anything but field work as they leak far to easily, pro boot stealth are very god comfy as you like and reasonable water resistant for a canvas sided boot.

I have never used Lowa but have only ever heard good things about them.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have but they slip of when I'm asleep on my recliner!

12. Having just completed Cambrian Patrol 05, i can not rate my Altberg Defender Microlite Boots highly enough.

They don't have a goretex lining but are very light but still maintain excellent support and warmth.

When my feet got soaked i didn't get any blisters.

Have a look at www.altberg.co.uk

Others on here will rate Altberg along with Lowas. I haven't experienced Lowas so can't comment on them.

I hope this helps!

P_M

13. The only problem i have ever found with lowas is if you get them wet (and i mean cross a river in them or something like that) thats it they are wet for the next couple of days and weigh four stone each - a right ball-ache if you are on excersise and get them soaked on day one. However it might just be me being a mong (it wouldn't be the first time).

14. evilgenius:

I have a friend who makes the same complaint about his Lowas. My Altbergs typically dry out twice as fast as Lowas do. Aldo, when soaked, my boots weigh about the same as Lowas do when they are dry!

P_M