Boots Gortex or Not Gortex...

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by slimjim, Sep 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi people, havent been on the forums for a while! Just after some help

Looking at buying some lowa boots but can someone help me with the pros and cons of Gortex or No Gortex boots please?

I could see from some of the boot post a lot of people choosing no gortex?

Cheers people
  2. Goretex are great. Until you go in the river in Brecon and then they will NEVER, EVER dry out. My non-issue Altberg goretex-thingys took four days sat next to a radiator (and stuffed with newspaper) to semi-dry out.

Even my gucci issued Altbergs (non-goretex) hold water really well and require massive amounts of talc to field-dry. Foot admin is much more important when moving away from issued CABs.

Don't buy goretex if you will get water coming over the top of the boot on a regular basis. They are also extremely hot during the summer and your feet will sweat massively, leading you neatly back to the foot admin drama.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I had a pair of the old goretex Pro-boots.

Mainly wore them in the winter (and a few Summer FTX), and never had any problems. My feet tend to get cold very quickly, so was glad of the thinsulate lining.
  4. Cheers people! I get hot feet quite quickly and want a boot that I can use all year and my unit has a habit of making sure we get water over the top of our boots most exercises :(
  5. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

There are pros and cons to all boots and nobody will have the same opinion. What works for one won't necessarily work for another.

I get really hot feet even in winter. I use a non waterproof black jungle in the UK. If its that bad wear gaiters.

There are few different boots in the review section now that you may wish to check out.
  6. Cheers wedge! I've been browsing through there this morning!

I've narrowed it down to lowas I think, just needed some advise on gortex :)
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

lots of pros and cons - going back a bit but I fount the green goretex socks the best thing for me. my feet were inbetween sizes so I needed 2 pairs of socks to make boot comfy. these helped sort that out and if you got them wet you just towelled dry and carried on in dry socks knowing the water wouldnt track back and ruin your last dry pair.

they came into their own on onion range and worth every penny of the 20 quid from PB naafi.

lined boots are fine until they wet out then they can get very cold as your body stops heating your feet. solution I found is vick on your feet to stop them sweating. which also freshens them up, keeps them warm and fights the athletes foot.
  8. I quite like using non-goretex boots along with removable goretex liners (though I seem to be in a minority...) - if you have a spare pair along with your spare socks, then you can wear them in your soaked boots without any dramas, even if you've been for a swim.

Also, you can leave them out completely in the summer, thus avoiding some of the sweaty feet issues.
  9. wedge_cadman

As mentioned goretex keeps water in as well as out. There's also sympatex which is a similar material designed for footwear. Also Event. It really is horses for courses. What works for one ... Etc.
    The difference between gore or non gore is approx £10 on the price of a pair of boots.

Do your issue ones work for you? I would concentrate on getting a pair that fit well and keep up good admin on the feet.
  10. The issue boots are fine if I didnt get heel rub! Ive tried many different things taping, different sock, extra socks always end up with heel rub :)
  11. wedge_cadman

It sounds like you have Supinating feet. High arch and inflexible feet which results in heel lift. Therefore heel rub. Look at the tech footbeds as a cheaper option that new boots. Altberg Svartz footbeds in review section.
  12. Thanks wedge! Top man! I do have supinated feet will check them out thanks!
  13. Swap the Gore-Tex liners for Gore-Tex Gaiters, and bobs yer uncle- waterproof up to your Knee, and no blisters etc caused by Gore-Tex socks.
  14. H3

H3 LE

Non Gortex Lowas , Then when needed Seal skin waterproof socks over a pair of comfy sports socks .... gaiters as and when required due to conditions .
  15. Liking both ideas thanks!