Boots for Urban Police use (and Gore-Tex sucks)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I am glad I am out now.

£50/£60 worth of extra beer token each year normally in the Autumn, just in time for the Christmas Functions.

Uniforms quality deteriorate in the late 80's, shirts became translucent requiring the wearing of T shirts underneath, Jersey HD were replaced with cheaper lighter version and without sleeves, trousers lost the smart style and became more baggier and cheaper materials used.

The only good point was the issue of a waterproof patrol style jacket to replace the Mac Long water retaining as a sponge, and at my establishment Jacket Donkey Staff for the use of (Black Plastic Waterproof Shoulders), as opposed to the Jacket Donkey Prisoner for the use of (Blue or Orange Plastic Waterproof Shoulders).

But the worst bit was the change of colour of uniforms from the London Transport Blue (Tube and Bus Drivers rejected uniforms) back to black in 1986. (All the new Screws were issued Black at Newbold Revel and stood out as Probationers until the all the old Blue uniforms were withdrawn/phased out in 1987 onwards).
When the prison service changed supplier I got a shirt with Chinese writing on the cardboard under the collar. I hoped it was a rescue message from a sweat shop.

When the prison service changed supplier I got a shirt with Chinese writing on the cardboard under the collar. I hoped it was a rescue message from a sweat shop.

More likely a Chinese Takeaway Order/Advertising.

Some years ago I had a visit at the Control Room of the Prison Establishment I was employed at (I nearly said worked at, but that would be untruthful!!!), by Prison Officers from the People Republic of China ex Hong Kong Prison Staff.

They still wore the old style Hong Kong Prison Service Badge but with the Queens Crown replaced with a Red Star.

I jokingly asked who wanted to defect and seek asylum as they were now on UK Crown Property and could claim asylum.

One of the Senior Chinese Officers gave me a nasty look whilst's some of the other Hong Kong Officers smiled.

This resulted in my attendance to the No 1 Governors Office again for yet another Career Discussion without tea and biccies.

How the hell was I to know that a few ex Hong Kong Prison Officers had jumped ship a few days previously.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
More likely a Chinese Takeaway Order/Advertising.

Some years ago I had a visit at the Control Room of the Prison Establishment I was employed at (I nearly said worked at, but that would be untruthful!!!), by Prison Officers from the People Republic of China ex Hong Kong Prison Staff.

They still wore the old style Hong Kong Prison Service Badge but with the Queens Crown replaced with a Red Star.

I jokingly asked who wanted to defect and seek asylum as they were now on UK Crown Property and could claim asylum.

One of the Senior Chinese Officers gave me a nasty look whilst's some of the other Hong Kong Officers smiled.

This resulted in my attendance to the No 1 Governors Office again for yet another Career Discussion without tea and biccies.

How the hell was I to know that a few ex Hong Kong Prison Officers had jumped ship a few days previously.
We once had some Indian prison officers visit while I was on my control and restraint refresher. The PTI's were female and demonstrated some wrist locks on the visitors, you could see it really hurt but they weren't admitting it as they were women. Their pained little sweating faced, likely back home they'd just leather cons.

Buffalo hide bush walkers.

@Cutaway swears by them. Light and flexible.

buff-hunter-boot.jpg
Do you drag one foot when you walk and dribble a bit?

AKU pilgrims
I love my HL GTX Pilgrims but I'm not sure I'd want to wear them on hard surfaces constantly. I find them firm under foot.

I'm fine with that as I'm always on soft ground or scrambling up and down stuff where the hard soles have a great bite. Probably nothing a good insole couldn't solve but I think you'd need to do something if it was only pavements etc...

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Too funny exactly what I thought same about those Danner boots how do you guys walk drive run in these moon boots ? They look ok for arctic warfare/space exploration but for urban use I'm sure they're not that great....
41NchF7ddML._AC_UL320_SR252,320_.jpg
I think @DavidBOC wore them on the beat in America.
Perhaps a lower leg for summer?
High enough to keep snow out in winter but I've never been a Police officer so no idea what you do.
I think they're the best boots I've had.

Lowa Mountain boots for when it's wet and/or cold and Lowa Urban for the rest of the time. They're great quality, last for years, and as Jarrod said the mountain (or combat) boot is sturdy even for public order work.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I think @DavidBOC wore them on the beat in America.
Perhaps a lower leg for summer?
High enough to keep snow out in winter but I've never been a Police officer so no idea what you do.
I think they're the best boots I've had.
I always remember back in the day that Danners were the mutts when all we could have were BCH, but they were so far out of reach for a squaddie's pay packet back then that I think I only ever saw one guy wearing a pair.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I always remember back in the day that Danners were the mutts when all we could have were BCH, but they were so far out of reach for a squaddie's pay packet back then that I think I only ever saw one guy wearing a pair.
My PSI had a pair, recall on an excercise in Kielder forest him in front and all I could see was his white socks.
I couldn't afford a pair back then, not even when I got my bounty. I bought pro boots which were great but the Danners are superb, great quality and lovely leather, stitching is good and they are good in the wet, Altberg are dreadful in wet, slippery conditions.

Current issue HMP boots by "op-gear" are beyond awful. Very cheap very nasty..very heavy. Shoe and boot allowance replaced by these must wear "PPE".....annual allowance £60.....cost of new boots....surprised if their paying more than £5 for them.

Must be less than £2.50. If you take them apart you'll find the waterproofing consists of a plastic bag.

Would rather work barefoot than wear those bad boys.

ETA I've always been happy with all the Altberg and Lowa boots I've worn. Altberg Sneekers are pretty good for running in too.

Shame I came in late. I got offered a pair of these when I was in a plod role, since then I have bought three identical pairs lasting about seven years each out of my own pocket. They'd last longer if I wasn't jumping in and out of salt water, but you can sluice them with fresh and wear them again 48 hours later.
The design follows some aspects of the Danner, but with a much narrower welt intended, they claim, for helicopter pilots foot pedals. Wouldn't know about that but I was v happy driving at ridiculous speeds with no loss of 'feel', they really are very light. The toecap is not a steely but good enough if someone stamps on you.
Rig, in the Midlands, even keep your details, they know what size you ordered last, and did me a special in brown with extra lace holes to take my gaiter clips. I like the non-Goretex and Sealskinz socks, choice for all seasons. So, twenty-year old model which I'll likely buy again.
Rig Eagle Storm

Mike996

Swinger
Shame I came in late. I got offered a pair of these when I was in a plod role, since then I have bought three identical pairs lasting about seven years each out of my own pocket. They'd last longer if I wasn't jumping in and out of salt water, but you can sluice them with fresh and wear them again 48 hours later.
The design follows some aspects of the Danner, but with a much narrower welt intended, they claim, for helicopter pilots foot pedals. Wouldn't know about that but I was v happy driving at ridiculous speeds with no loss of 'feel', they really are very light. The toecap is not a steely but good enough if someone stamps on you.
Rig, in the Midlands, even keep your details, they know what size you ordered last, and did me a special in brown with extra lace holes to take my gaiter clips. I like the non-Goretex and Sealskinz socks, choice for all seasons. So, twenty-year old model which I'll likely buy again.
Rig Eagle Storm

I did actually considered those and wanted to ask about them, but could not find any information, I like the simple look and all leather I think they are made in the uk also?
I am thinking of ordering a pair and compare with the magnums and keep the ones like most, are they heavy ? and I assume they have a composite toe cap?

Latest Threads