Boots for Urban Police use (and Gore-Tex sucks)

Mike996

Swinger
Reading between the lines, you a a pcso who speaks fFrench.

Shame on you. You deserve no boots at all.
Mike, been a response copper a long time now, wouldn't do anything else.
You'll need boots not shoes for all round robustness and your own protection, but you seem to have made that decision so well and good. A steel toe is a must.
I've been wearing the issued PSU boots for years and for general police duties they're fine. I appreciate if you're just starting you're probably a couple of years from PSU, but something to consider. I find them good to drive in too which is a consideration.
I've tried Magnums in the past and while they were comfortable and generally fine they developed a squeak that just wouldn't quit- it got so annoying I binned them with plenty of life left in them.
Never had Altbergs but some blokes speak highly of them.
Good luck.
Yes thanks a lot for the advice I was thinking about that I need boots not shoes and a steel toe, better safe than sorry.... is a composite toe just as good? as steel toe?

Not PCSO regular PC....well not yet anyways...

Yes thanks a lot for the advice I was thinking about that I need boots not shoes and a steel toe, better safe than sorry.... is a composite toe just as good? as steel toe?

Not PCSO regular PC....well not yet anyways...

There is a few online UK Danner stockists, however correct fitting for your role & investing in a decent pair is a no brainier (without teaching to suck eggs obviously).

Either way, good luck on your choice and leave feedback if possible.

I used the altbergs for about 20 years as a cop, they are all you need. Mind you they were issued on the firearms dept, if I had to pay I would get the magnums, shite but comfy and cheap.

Matt638

Old-Salt
Current issue HMP boots by "op-gear" are beyond awful. Very cheap very nasty..very heavy. Shoe and boot allowance replaced by these must wear "PPE".....annual allowance £60.....cost of new boots....surprised if their paying more than £5 for them.

Peter-Pan

Clanker
I've been a Police Officer for longer than I served in the mob and that was 16 years. Myself and my more experienced colleagues are often amused by probationers who seem to feel the need to go out and buy a pair of 'Gucci' boots when they have no previous policing experience and don't yet really know what they want or need.
You'll do a lot of walking so they must be comfy straight out of the box. They should be waterproof (you will be out in all weathers and standing stationary on cordons) They must be light enough and flexible enough for running in and allow you some 'feel' if you become senior enough to be allowed to drive, especially at speed. All you really need is a pair of hard wearing, thick soled, heavy duty shoes for normal duty. Clarks do a very good range of Gortex shoes which are ideal. As your career progresses and you get a bit of time in and maybe become Public Order trained then that'll be the time to look at boots and maybe keep a pair in the back of your locker for the above.
Good luck in your new career.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Daft suggestion but what about high leg Lowa safety boots. Similar in appearance to the combat gtx but with a steel toe. They retail around the £150 mark. Would these offer best of both worlds?

begbie

Old-Salt
Lowa Urban for the summer and a pair of Danner Arcadia for the winter, luckily I get the Lowa's issued and the Danners cost me nowt.
If I had to buy a pair then probably Lowa Elite Light would be a good all rounder.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I used Magnums when driving and Pro Boots when not.

These days I'd go for Alt bergs, depending on budget.

First thing first yes I have read the thread about boots all of it....

I'd like here to discuss a choice of boot for urban use now I served in the military a couple of years ago French not UK, and I'm going to start working for the UK police very soon and I have been informed that you have to buy your own boots so I started doing some research.

I left the cop forums in a hurry when I've seen Lowa mountain boots recommended, why the f£$K would you wear mountain boots in an urban environment is beyond me....

A lot of Coppers recommend Altberg peacekeeper I did go to a shop to try them on but was not that impressed the sole I found very hard with not a lot of flex.

To be honest I'd rather not even buy military boots I was thinking of maybe Clarks Clarks Rockie Hi GTX - Black Waterproof - Mens Casual Boots | Clarks As every time I see a cop wearing super mega combat boots in London I just cringe...

But not that keen on Gore-Tex now in the French military we used this
Rangers%20noires.jpg

Just leather and never had any problem with them or with my feet spent some time deployed in South America where we were issued Magnum Jungle Boots but most of us still used the leather rangers as the Magnum Vibram sole was slippery as F$%$K in the Jungle....

Yes back to the Gore-Tex with just the leather boots never had any probs not even in the Jungle where the feet were wet non stop during the day, and every morning you put on the wet boots and socks and off you go never a problem....

After leaving the military I had to actually work for a leaving :shakefist: (that sucked).... and spent some time in working boots these were some Meindl Gore-Tex and I remember my feet were boiling in them I mean literally after a day's work I was taking my boots of and my feet were all wrinkled like when you spend too much time in the pool/bath....and let's not even discuss the smell (I never had smelly feet/shoes ever in my life not even win the Jungle with constantly wet socks and boots)...

So anyone can recommend any good leather civilian boots for urban use, I'd rather not wear wannabe commando super ninja military boots (let's leave that to the military and the fat SAS wannabes security guards).

Buffalo hide bush walkers.

@Cutaway swears by them. Light and flexible.

buff-hunter-boot.jpg

Mike996

Swinger
I've been a Police Officer for longer than I served in the mob and that was 16 years. Myself and my more experienced colleagues are often amused by probationers who seem to feel the need to go out and buy a pair of 'Gucci' boots when they have no previous policing experience and don't yet really know what they want or need.
You'll do a lot of walking so they must be comfy straight out of the box. They should be waterproof (you will be out in all weathers and standing stationary on cordons) They must be light enough and flexible enough for running in and allow you some 'feel' if you become senior enough to be allowed to drive, especially at speed. All you really need is a pair of hard wearing, thick soled, heavy duty shoes for normal duty. Clarks do a very good range of Gortex shoes which are ideal. As your career progresses and you get a bit of time in and maybe become Public Order trained then that'll be the time to look at boots and maybe keep a pair in the back of your locker for the above.
Good luck in your new career.

Great advice Thanks a lot!

Current issue HMP boots by "op-gear" are beyond awful. Very cheap very nasty..very heavy. Shoe and boot allowance replaced by these must wear "PPE".....annual allowance £60.....cost of new boots....surprised if their paying more than £5 for them.

Cheap Chinese version of Magnums and look crap.

Why are they must wear PPE? Do they have steel toe caps, non slip soles, ankle support etc etc and if so they must cause problems with the X Ray machines. Boots off, Boots on prior to starting work and returning from meals etc.

Loads for sale on ebay at about £25.

I do quite like the cap badge on each tongue!!!!

I suppose now that head dress is no longer worn, the cap badge has to be displayed some where. I do wonder which PRAT came up with that idea.

I bet Buck House are chuffed to NAAFI Breaks that Liz's Crown/HMP Badge is applied to a pair of cheap Chinese made boots.

Words fail me.

I've had the same pair of ceramic toe capped (ceramic as we were told steel toe caps were forbidden unless you were doing level 2 public order) Magnum boots for the last two and a half years and they're still going strong. Have stopped me from having my toes broken at least once and are nice, comfy and warm.

Mike996

Swinger
Well in the end I got the Magnum Elite Full leather II

Because MilletSports had a really good deal on them on the Magnum website they are 169£ and I got them for 110£. picked them up from the local store this morning...
elite_ii_leather_waterproof_m800622_-_pair_1.jpg

I went with this vs other brands models because first things first it's full leather no nylon/ripstop/cordura anywhere to be seen.

It has a low discrete profile and it's what the French Gendarmerie use I think it was made after their specifications and they don't look to flashy/fancy........

It was also the only full leather model I found with a composite toe box and reinforced heel and they are even a little lighter than a non reinforced Altberg peacekeeper....and on the box there's a lot of certification and standards they meet that I have no idea what they mean but it must be good...

The only thing I don't like is that they are made in China....but oh well so is almost everything else these days.

On the magnum website I can see some reviews that they don't last I take these kind of reviews with a pinch of salt as I am currently wearing a pair of synthetic Nike trainers I've been wearing for the last 2 years and they are in great shape so always when I see these dodgy reviews about leather combat boots falling apart in 3 months.....meh I find it hard to believe as most of my trainers last me a minimum of 16-18 months....

Congratulations on your research and purchase.

May you have many enjoyable years kicking drunken tw@ts in and standing on naughty people's arms, neck, hands etc

Matt638

Old-Salt
The badge is on for tax purposes I suspect. They are classed PPE due to being non slip. HMP saved over 2 million pounds plus from the withdrawal of boot and shoe allowance

The badge is on for tax purposes I suspect. They are classed PPE due to being non slip. HMP saved over 2 million pounds plus from the withdrawal of boot and shoe allowance

I am glad I am out now.

£50/£60 worth of extra beer token each year normally in the Autumn, just in time for the Christmas Functions.

Uniforms quality deteriorate in the late 80's, shirts became translucent requiring the wearing of T shirts underneath, Jersey HD were replaced with cheaper lighter version and without sleeves, trousers lost the smart style and became more baggier and cheaper materials used.

The only good point was the issue of a waterproof patrol style jacket to replace the Mac Long water retaining as a sponge, and at my establishment Jacket Donkey Staff for the use of (Black Plastic Waterproof Shoulders), as opposed to the Jacket Donkey Prisoner for the use of (Blue or Orange Plastic Waterproof Shoulders).

But the worst bit was the change of colour of uniforms from the London Transport Blue (Tube and Bus Drivers rejected uniforms) back to black in 1986. (All the new Screws were issued Black at Newbold Revel and stood out as Probationers until the all the old Blue uniforms were withdrawn/phased out in 1987 onwards).

Latest Threads