Boots for Urban Police use (and Gore-Tex sucks)

Mike996

Swinger
First thing first yes I have read the thread about boots all of it....

I'd like here to discuss a choice of boot for urban use now I served in the military a couple of years ago French not UK, and I'm going to start working for the UK police very soon and I have been informed that you have to buy your own boots so I started doing some research.

I left the cop forums in a hurry when I've seen Lowa mountain boots recommended, why the f£$K would you wear mountain boots in an urban environment is beyond me....

A lot of Coppers recommend Altberg peacekeeper I did go to a shop to try them on but was not that impressed the sole I found very hard with not a lot of flex.

To be honest I'd rather not even buy military boots I was thinking of maybe Clarks Clarks Rockie Hi GTX - Black Waterproof - Mens Casual Boots | Clarks As every time I see a cop wearing super mega combat boots in London I just cringe...

But not that keen on Gore-Tex now in the French military we used this
Rangers%20noires.jpg

Just leather and never had any problem with them or with my feet spent some time deployed in South America where we were issued Magnum Jungle Boots but most of us still used the leather rangers as the Magnum Vibram sole was slippery as F$%$K in the Jungle....

Yes back to the Gore-Tex with just the leather boots never had any probs not even in the Jungle where the feet were wet non stop during the day, and every morning you put on the wet boots and socks and off you go never a problem....

After leaving the military I had to actually work for a leaving :shakefist: (that sucked).... and spent some time in working boots these were some Meindl Gore-Tex and I remember my feet were boiling in them I mean literally after a day's work I was taking my boots of and my feet were all wrinkled like when you spend too much time in the pool/bath....and let's not even discuss the smell (I never had smelly feet/shoes ever in my life not even win the Jungle with constantly wet socks and boots)...

So anyone can recommend any good leather civilian boots for urban use, I'd rather not wear wannabe commando super ninja military boots (let's leave that to the military and the fat SAS wannabes security guards).

Last edited:
I found MOD issued Aircrew boots very comfortable. Although for urban Police work I think they might need to be resoled with a better grip.

You wore tight pants, silly hats and sang as you marched around surrendering. You are in no position to judge anybody

Try these Dredd.....
combat boots.png

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know about police use, but I used to be on the bar for way over twelve hours a stretch when I used to work in the hotel trade - I wore the high-leg Caterpillars with a pair of orthepedic (sp?) footbeds in. they did the trick for me, and I was constantly up/down stairs, running around, as you might imagine. I forget the brand name but they have a big cushion right under the heel and 2-3mm of foam under the ball of your foot and toes. they make anything feel like a pair of trainers in that respect.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Good old Dr. Martens would suffice I should think.

the quality has been pish for years IMHO. and they charge enough for them, the cheeky feckers. Caterpillars have been my go-to boot for years now - I never get less than 18 months good wear out of a pair, even with all the abuse they get.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
the quality has been pish for years IMHO. and they charge enough for them, the cheeky feckers. Caterpillars have been my go-to boot for years now - I never get less than 18 months good wear out of a pair, even with all the abuse they get.
Since they shifted production to China

I don't know about police use, but I used to be on the bar for way over twelve hours a stretch when I used to work in the hotel trade - I wore the high-leg Caterpillars with a pair of orthepedic (sp?) footbeds in. they did the trick for me, and I was constantly up/down stairs, running around, as you might imagine. I forget the brand name but they have a big cushion right under the heel and 2-3mm of foam under the ball of your foot and toes. they make anything feel like a pair of trainers in that respect.
Scholl or one of those companies, make a gel filled insole I use in My current boots. Very comfortable.

I have still got my old Redwings 4440 safety boots from my Schlumberger days...excellent and virtually indestructible.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Don't knock the Lowa boots, they are very comfortable and probably useful for giving someone a good kicking, then some stout brogues may be as good or better.

Mike996

Swinger
I'm not knocking on any brand Lowa or Altbergs I'm sure they're great boots especially since everyone is raving about Altbergs I'll them a go probably they'll break in and I'd rather spend my money on something made in the UK rather than China anyway

As a Screw in the 80's I used to wear boots DMS (My bucksee pairs that I was not able to swop for boot combat high aka ankle breaking), high bullied, prisoners for the purpose of impressing. (Worn with my cap, peak slashed for the purpose of looking up, neck in the back of the collar watching out for packages from Heaven). (Rule of thumb don't walk under cell windows or out beyond the walkways, well not twice anyway).

HMP refused to let me wear my bucksee puttee's!!!!

I also used my Boots Combat High aka Boots walking in dirt when deployed on the Farms and Gardens, with elastics to keep my trousers clean.

Then I saw the light and bought boots Doc Martins for the purpose of skin head looking, easier to bull, ankle supporting and comfortable.

Then came the Magnum style boots light weight and comfortable but not as smart.

I also used to ride a motorbike at this time and you don't half feel a prat wearing knee high leg, rear zipped and buckled, 1960's style motorbike boots all day on a 12 hour shift because you forgot to pack your Boots Prison Officers Landing Walking for the purpose of patrolling in your day sack.

The issued HMP boots were like a WW1 issued army boots, leather uppers and soles (studs available) and only the OLD & BOLD Screws wore them. The rest of us drew the £50 boot and shoe allowance and wore out our Army issued Boots DMS or Boots Combat High.

Why not stick with Les Rangeurs? Have you tried Danners?

+1 for Danners, probably the comfiest boot I've worn.

Failing that, Hiax Nepal Pro would be ideal urban use, however its personal choice at the end of the day.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm not knocking on any brand Lowa or Altbergs I'm sure they're great boots especially since everyone is raving about Altbergs I'll them a go probably they'll break in and I'd rather spend my money on something made in the UK rather than China anyway
Altbergs are made in Italy and the quality doesn't compare to the German boots. No idea at all about the job so can't advise but in my sedentary job I wear Lowa all day in winter, maybe both them and Altbergs be too hot in summer, but in winter the lowa I think are a better boot.
If you've plenty of cash look at Danner boots, they're really the best.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
As a Screw in the 80's I used to wear boots DMS (My bucksee pairs that I was not able to swop for boot combat high aka ankle breaking), high bullied, prisoners for the purpose of impressing. (Worn with my cap, peak slashed for the purpose of looking up, neck in the back of the collar watching out for packages from Heaven). (Rule of thumb don't walk under cell windows or out beyond the walkways, well not twice anyway).

HMP refused to let me wear my bucksee puttee's!!!!

I also used my Boots Combat High aka Boots walking in dirt when deployed on the Farms and Gardens, with elastics to keep my trousers clean.

Then I saw the light and bought boots Doc Martins for the purpose of skin head looking, easier to bull, ankle supporting and comfortable.

Then came the Magnum style boots light weight and comfortable but not as smart.

I also used to ride a motorbike at this time and you don't half feel a prat wearing knee high leg, rear zipped and buckled, 1960's style motorbike boots all day on a 12 hour shift because you forgot to pack your Boots Prison Officers Landing Walking for the purpose of patrolling in your day sack.

The issued HMP boots were like a WW1 issued army boots, leather uppers and soles (studs available) and only the OLD & BOLD Screws wore them. The rest of us drew the £50 boot and shoe allowance and wore out our Army issued Boots DMS or Boots Combat High.
I loved my HMP issued boots, the guys wearing them tended to be ex-forces as they shined up lovely and were handy for those that like to give cons a good shoeing.
Sadly my last pair died but I've still three pairs of the shoes left, they had crowns stamped on the sides not long before I left, think it was to stop people selling them.

You'll need something light enough for running about, pliable enough for driving and smart enough to not look like a bellend.

A pair of shoes then.

Latest Threads