boots for Op telic

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dml87, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just received my reservist warning order for call up to Iraq in Apr, Ive seen people saying they have to wear the black boots, is this the case and if so will it be worth my life purchasing a lightweight or do you get issued a decent pair at the RTMC.

many thanks
  2. Alt burg desert boots bought a pair for Telic three they are the dogs danglers
  3. wot about the desert patrol boots on stikeforcesuplies web site any good
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Also took Altbergs. Outstandingly comfortable.
  5. Not sure what are on issue now - we got the Desert magnums - probably the worst boot I've had since DMS, far too hot. Meindle Desert Fox or Altberg are both excellent, the old/US pattern ones (like the junglies) are pretty good and cheaper.
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

For me the desert boot of choice is the Omani Army version, which is basically a suede DMS boot. I wore mine on Saif Sareea and in Iraq and found them extremely comfortable. Silverman's used to sell them but I don't know if they still do. My number 2 recommendation is the US Army issue desert boot which is a suede version of their jungle boots: very light and comfortable, but sufficiently robust for street patrolling etc.

Altbergs, Lowas etc all come highly recommended but they strike me as a little over-engineered for what they have to do.

But having said all of that, you will be issued some very comfortable desert boots when you mobilise and the majority find them perfectly acceptable.
  7. cpunk is spot on the yank ones are pretty good . You could spend a fortune of boots
    but unless you are going to spend loads of time tabbing around , they are a waste of
    money .You should have a look on e-bay you should be able to get the yank boots for
    30 quid .With the money you save get on the sunbeds before you deploy , sounds a
    bit gay bnut it will save you hours of pain when you get there , or just go on the Lash .
  8. Oakley desert boots. They're like wearing slippers and 3 pairs are roughly the same weight as one lowa boot!
  9. Meindle "Desert Fox"

Best boot I've ever had...................
  10. At RTMC you will get magnum dessies which i thought were perfect and i was patrolling every day! Also you might get cold weather boots, yes i know it sounds stupid but october - november get freezing at night whebn you been out in hight of summer! I say the issue magnums perfect!
  11. Same again found the magnum boots spot on never had any probs with them in iraq or afghan plus there free i did did a swop with some yank dessey boots found them not as comfty as issue but i do have big feet so it might just be me
  12. Meindl Desert Fox are the best for the job in my opinion. They're going cheap at Cotswold Camping at the moment too (£64 instead of the usual price of £100).
  13. Does anyone know if the Tracpac desert patrol boots are anygood.
  14. Arem't they the really cheap ones?
  15. Really cheap and fall apart very quickly