• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Boots cold weather? What are they?

At the risk of being sucked into possibly the most boring thread ever*, what you know as 'Pro Boots' are in fact 'Boots Extreme Cold Weather'.

However, when they were originally procured, the MoD would only front the cash for the ongoing IFOR mission (and even then, they were a one-time single issue piece of kit). Therefore, when we continued to send chaps to the Balkans (in extreme cold weather), the MoD needed to urgently procure (through a UOR) a suitable boot - in this case, the 'Matterhorn'.

However, the 'Pro Boot' is widely regarded as being far better, and so 'new money' was sourced to procure more.

This is why you see people with both styles, and in many cases, several sets of each.

*It's all relative - the benefit of a thread like this is that it doesn't get over-run by attention whores. :D

With gash kit like the SA80 and LSW I would just like to say I think the above boot is superb and probably the best in the world. As good as a Danner or Matterhorn but much lighter it is equally good for standing in a wet trench or tabbing across the hills. I still have the pair issued six years ago and yes they have seen a lot of use.

Calypso said:
At the risk of being sucked into possibly the most boring thread ever*, what you know as 'Pro Boots' are in fact 'Boots Extreme Cold Weather'.

However, when they were originally procured, the MoD would only front the cash for the ongoing IFOR mission (and even then, they were a one-time single issue piece of kit). Therefore, when we continued to send chaps to the Balkans (in extreme cold weather), the MoD needed to urgently procure (through a UOR) a suitable boot - in this case, the 'Matterhorn'.

However, the 'Pro Boot' is widely regarded as being far better, and so 'new money' was sourced to procure more.

This is why you see people with both styles, and in many cases, several sets of each.

*It's all relative - the benefit of a thread like this is that it doesn't get over-run by attention whores. :D
As you seem to be a guru... (a compliment!) can you make sense of this....

MOD Stock Ref: 8430 21 104 6914 Remarks: RDD Can not be met overdue from trade

What Does SPC 13 mean? I got an SP30 once!!!!! :lol:

Thanks fellow spotters!

Mr Happy

LE
I got Matterhorns in 96 and they kept my feet lovely and warm when driving Land Rovers for 8 years until I eventually hung them up. NEver got any waxy lube though its possible the Ghurkas nicked it all....

bibo_boy said:
What Does SPC 13 mean?
It's a little hard to answer your question here. Is the SPC specific to the MoD stock reference number? If so, we need someone (at work) to access the relevant IS and tell us what the piece of kit is!

However, an RDD is a Required Delivery Date. An SPC is a Standard Priority Code. They are related. The Standard Priority System (SPS) is driven by the RDD annotated on demands by units; regardless of the SPC used. Stores System 3 will always use the SPC that corresponds to the Supply Chain Processing Time (SCPT) quoted in JSP 336. All units should be aware that no one has the authority to downgrade demand priorities, however, units incorrectly calculating the RDD will downgrade the priority of a demand but the RDD will still be met.

So, to answer your question: you have something on demand, at SPC 13 (not very high) but it's going to be delayed as trade (the supplier) can't deliver it yet.

If it's 'Boots ECW', you're going to be chilly! :D

Calypso said:
bibo_boy said:
What Does SPC 13 mean?
It's a little hard to answer your question here. Is the SPC specific to the MoD stock reference number? If so, we need someone (at work) to access the relevant IS and tell us what the piece of kit is!

However, an RDD is a Required Delivery Date. An SPC is a Standard Priority Code. They are related. The Standard Priority System (SPS) is driven by the RDD annotated on demands by units; regardless of the SPC used. Stores System 3 will always use the SPC that corresponds to the Supply Chain Processing Time (SCPT) quoted in JSP 336. All units should be aware that no one has the authority to downgrade demand priorities, however, units incorrectly calculating the RDD will downgrade the priority of a demand but the RDD will still be met.

So, to answer your question: you have something on demand, at SPC 13 (not very high) but it's going to be delayed as trade (the supplier) can't deliver it yet.

If it's 'Boots ECW', you're going to be chilly! :D
Thanks... Calypso. better buy the plug in foot warmer now!

Having recently arrived somewhere whre we get issued cold weather boots (but interestingly not the softie stuff!! :?: ) Pro-boots are no longer on issue.

I got a new pair of the cold weather boot which is completely devoid of a makers name or mark. They look suspiciously similar to Lowa's and are very comfortable, light, fully goretex and I am very impressed with them, considerably better than the Matterhorn which I could never get on with.

Calypso said:

Have to bore deeper. Boots Cold Wet Weather (Boots Cobbly Wobbly) were issued in Korea very soon after the trouble there started. They were not very efficient except that had what we now know as a Commando sole of some plastic material which, being deeper in tread and more cold/wet resistant than leather did offer some benefits. Exchange rate with Yanks who valued them was case of prime steaks for two pairs of BCWW. Case of boots would get you a jeep.

Pro boots are the best boots i was ever issued. Still use a pair now i'm a civvy and i'll buy a new pair of the same when they're worn out.

Another good bit of footware not often seen are the rubber welly overboots with a zip front. Great if you're doing a static, stagging on kind of job in a minging bog, ploughed field or trench.

Mr Happy

LE
cdo_gunner said:
Another good bit of footware not often seen are the rubber welly overboots with a zip front. Great if you're doing a static, stagging on kind of job in a minging bog, ploughed field or trench.
NBC boots work nicely too.

Latest Threads