Boots and Blisters--- mmmm new shooooes?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by comrade-max, Aug 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello, i know this forum is for all you pretty slodiers but wot the hey.

im an ACF L/Cpl looking to replace my old assault boots, i want to replace them with a set of smart leather boots for parade purposes (upto about £60) and a set of fieldcraft boots that are also appropriate for hiking ( top price about £65-£70). i dont know what boots to get though, my assault boots have lasted well but are nasty little things for hiking and i'd like to have more comfortable boots for FTX. any suggestions?

2. So you want two sets of boots with a maximum budget of £130?

Do the obvious. :roll:

3. sorry im a bit slow, what would that be

4. im an ACF L/Cpl looking to replace my old assault boots, i want to replace them with a set of smart leather boots for parade purposes (upto about £60) and a set of fieldcraft boots that are also appropriate for hiking ( top price about £65-£70). i dont know what boots to get though, my assault boots have lasted well but are nasty little things for hiking and i'd like to have more comfortable boots for FTX. any suggestions?[/quote]

Cheap like the budgie!!

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr4.html

5. instead of two seperate sets, get one set of lowas, a set of thorlo socks and you will be :D :D

6. He said he wants a pair for fieldcraft (that'll be the lowas) but also a pair for parade purposes. Are you suggesting he does drill in his lowas, and bulls them up?

There are always pro and lowa boots second hand on ebay. What ever the regulars amongst us may think of pro boots, they would be ideal for occasional use by a cadet. You can also pick up cheap second hand ammo boots from ebay and the site linked to on a post above. You could kit yourself out quite well for under your £130 budget.

7. Don't forget the supafeet insoles for otterburn/dartmoor/brecons style tabbing and dualstrike sorbathane for lighter work.

Having said that last thursday after 22 miles my feet were in tatters even with my lowas, but I hadn't done any trekking for about 8 months before then.

Lowas or pro-boots tend to be warm and comfy, get a 2nd hand pair but make sure they're in good nick. If they're good they'll last you years. Not much of an idea on smart boots - why not just get a brand new pair of c95 assault boots, they're reasonably good leather and bull pretty well...ish (oh, and cheapish)

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

got a brand new pair of CAB's off Ebay for £15 posted, and a pair of Proboots mint in the box for £35 posted. job done for £50.

9. What I was trying to suggest was as follows. He mentions that he has a set of boots for parade, keep them
    Then use the money to get himself a set of lowas which will last him years which covers the hiking/FTX aspect that he mentions.

10. (my bold)
    So long has his feet don't grow.

11. my feet wont grow they stopped when i was 12, i could just buy some iowas for FTX and use my assault boots for parade. Thats someting though ive bin in cadets 3 years now and neva bin taught how to bull i know it invlove polish, water and alot of time can someone explain

12. Are these lowa's all there cracked up to be?.....are they the dogs danglies are they worth £145 new?......does the goretex liner do its job well?

13. They were until the last two times I used them, since then I've wavered. The leather is very good quality, the goretex does seem to work and the soles are very good. Once you've worn out the soles you can have them resoled - so they last for years.
    However I find they get too hot in summer, my feet sweat too much and that can cause blisters. I might just need to change my sock type though.
    The other thing is once you've got them wet - which can happen (go through a river, or a bog or something, dartmoor etc) then they take ages to dry and the interior lining does soak up a load of water. If you're going to be going somewhere where water will come over the top you're probably better off getting waterproof socks (are they all they're cracked up to be? I'm considering somone).

14. ive got some Kefas combat boots which wen all considered wernt cheapies (80 squidders) and there "sympatex" lined ....ive made a promise to myself if they dont get any better by christmas time ill buy a pair of lowa combat boots, or a pair of Altbergs. p.s thanks for input , much appreciated.

15. It basically involves putting a VERY small amount of polish on your duster and going round and round in tiny circles with your finger tip, adding drops of water from time to time. When the polish stops smearing around you start again with another tiny bit.

You won't see anyresult until the polish builds up unless the leather is already very smooth. For thsi reason you often start with a thick coat of polish which you spread on smoothly and leave to set before the process above.

On the blisters question, I have these strange protrusions from the backs of my heels that cause me no end of problems as they rub raw, and even more so since the change from the MkII to the assault boot. Does anyone know what to do about this? Can a chiropodist do anything?