• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Bootlaces in MTP

#1
Does anyone else know where i can can get some bootlaces (both left and right please) in MTP. They need to be at least 1 metre long with the little plastic bits on the end, but definatly MTP.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#6
Here, or you could try here, here, here, or here

.

The first and last may require a certain amount of DIY ingenuity on your part. Cutting to length, trimming, melting the ends etc but you would be able to get the lengths you require.
 
#10
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Because black ones compromise your IR signature, natch.

True black doesn't appear in nature. That's why MTP has dark brown in it, not black. Innit.

And so on, and on, and on... rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

But more seriously: warrior8234mkIIIA2, I've got two left-handed ones you can have. Maybe if you turned one boot inside out (... your boots are MTP-reversible, aren't they?) that would work?
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#12
Cold_Collation said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Because black ones compromise your IR signature, natch.

True black doesn't appear in nature. That's why MTP has dark brown in it, not black. Innit.

And so on, and on, and on... rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

But more seriously: warrior8234mkIIIA2, I've got two left-handed ones you can have. Maybe if you turned one boot inside out (... your boots are MTP-reversible, aren't they?) that would work?
How would that help, he (she?) would then have 2 left hand boots and one of them would have a strange IR signature.

If you use a left hand lace back to front in works fairly well. Tie a knot in the ends to avoid slippage (tie the knot after threading into the boot). You will need to put a knots in both laces for overall balance and allyness.

Have you considered cling film instead of laces. You remove the laces altogether put the boot on and wrap round with cling film. Its waterproof has no IR signature and flexes to give you a comfortable fit to your foot with no laces digging in.
 
#13
BuggerAll said:
Cold_Collation said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Because black ones compromise your IR signature, natch.

True black doesn't appear in nature. That's why MTP has dark brown in it, not black. Innit.

And so on, and on, and on... rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

But more seriously: warrior8234mkIIIA2, I've got two left-handed ones you can have. Maybe if you turned one boot inside out (... your boots are MTP-reversible, aren't they?) that would work?
How would that help, he (she?) would then have 2 left hand boots and one of them would have a strange IR signature.

If you use a left hand lace back to front in works fairly well. Tie a knot in the ends to avoid slippage (tie the knot after threading into the boot). You will need to put a knots in both laces for overall balance and allyness.

Have you considered cling film instead of laces. You remove the laces altogether put the boot on and wrap round with cling film. Its waterproof has no IR signature and flexes to give you a comfortable fit to your foot with no laces digging in.
I foresee problems arising when some nutter from 49 thinks that the cling-filmed boot is actually his lunch.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#14
Jungelism said:
BuggerAll said:
Cold_Collation said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Because black ones compromise your IR signature, natch.

True black doesn't appear in nature. That's why MTP has dark brown in it, not black. Innit.

And so on, and on, and on... rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

But more seriously: warrior8234mkIIIA2, I've got two left-handed ones you can have. Maybe if you turned one boot inside out (... your boots are MTP-reversible, aren't they?) that would work?
How would that help, he (she?) would then have 2 left hand boots and one of them would have a strange IR signature.

If you use a left hand lace back to front in works fairly well. Tie a knot in the ends to avoid slippage (tie the knot after threading into the boot). You will need to put a knots in both laces for overall balance and allyness.

Have you considered cling film instead of laces. You remove the laces altogether put the boot on and wrap round with cling film. Its waterproof has no IR signature and flexes to give you a comfortable fit to your foot with no laces digging in.
I foresee problems arising when some nutter from 49 thinks that the cling-flimed boot is actually his lunch.
Allowing him to unwrap you foot could be quite a 'bonding experience'.
 
#15
BuggerAll said:
Cold_Collation said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Because black ones compromise your IR signature, natch.

True black doesn't appear in nature. That's why MTP has dark brown in it, not black. Innit.

And so on, and on, and on... rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

But more seriously: warrior8234mkIIIA2, I've got two left-handed ones you can have. Maybe if you turned one boot inside out (... your boots are MTP-reversible, aren't they?) that would work?
How would that help, he (she?) would then have 2 left hand boots and one of them would have a strange IR signature.

If you use a left hand lace back to front in works fairly well. Tie a knot in the ends to avoid slippage (tie the knot after threading into the boot). You will need to put a knots in both laces for overall balance and allyness.

Have you considered cling film instead of laces. You remove the laces altogether put the boot on and wrap round with cling film. Its waterproof has no IR signature and flexes to give you a comfortable fit to your foot with no laces digging in.
Shows how much you know - and stop picking holes when you're so obviously out of the loop on this stuff.

The new, go-faster, reversible MTP boots need handed (opposing) laces. It's all to do with symmetry and mimicking the patterns (or, sometimes, the lack of them) that go on in nature, thus rendering the wearer invisible.

The aglets even have a special fractal pattern on them, thus adding to the effect. They create a kind of stealth haze (which is hard to describe if you've not seen it, which you won't, if you see what I mean - or not). And there's no black in them, not true black, because you don't see true black in nature.

In fact, this stuff is so good that the wearer passes clean through the invisibility scale and almost comes out visible again. But not quite. That's the beauty of it.

It's down to the absence of true black. It's more of a dark brown.
 

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#16
Cold_Collation said:
Shows how much you know - and stop picking holes when you're so obviously out of the loop on this stuff.
'Tis ever thus for the part-time warrior. We are often kept out of the loop on the important stuff. Its why we have to improvise with cord or clingfilm. It makes us more adaptable and less reliant on hi-tech solutions.
 
#19
BuggerAll said:
Cold_Collation said:
Shows how much you know - and stop picking holes when you're so obviously out of the loop on this stuff.
'Tis ever thus for the part-time warrior. We are often kept out of the loop on the important stuff. Its why we have to improvise with cord or clingfilm. It makes us more adaptable and less reliant on hi-tech solutions.
Sorry - I didn't mean to pick. This stuff will all filter through the system eventually.

MTP laces will get to you just about the same time as the new Mk.9* helmet, which is being procured in both circumcised and uncircumcised versions.

The former is better where we're deployed at the moment - something to do with being less of a sand-trap. The latter is used by Them for undercover work.

:D
 
#20
freedomman said:
rebel_with_a_cause said:
I'm sorry if this appears to be a bone question but here goes........why?
Er, "wah" you nana.
Hah, you all fell for my double-wah then.

In an effort to protect our world-beating reputation in the realm of defence procurement, I was attempting to cloud the issue. As others have now let the cat out of the bag, I can speak freely.

The MTP bootlaces as originally designed for the PECOC programme were found to be far more camouflagey than the old black laces on black or tan boots. The contract was duly placed with TingTong Toys and Novelties Inc (Kowloon).

Unfortunately, as left laces began to fall off the production line (different tooling required for different laces) someone noticed that the figures in the contract had been accidently reversed.

Instead of 500,000 pairs at £75.00 each (development costs, obviously) the contract actually stated 75 pairs at £500,000 each. Doh! Furthermore, we'd paid up front and in cash due to an accounting error at the Treasurys' offshore callcentre in Dheli.

After intense negotiations and a number of astonishing bribes had failed to get production stopped. The SAS (Industrial Relations Unit) were despatched and managed to blow up the factory and assassinate everyone involved.

So you see, the only MTP laces in existance are the pre-production or pattern copies.

Now that I can see that there's some interest, I'll put them on EBay. Bidding starts at £15,000,000 with 1% of all proceeds going to the "Buy Dave Cameron a chin" Charity.

NB it may appear at first glance that they are simply tan laces coloured in a bit with different felt-pens. They ain't, honest. No returns.
 

Latest Threads