Bootlace eyelets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Jiblit, Apr 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Can the metal lace buckles on issue boots be repaired if the rivets snap out, was pulling the laces tight and pop.

On one boot the rivet on alternating sides went and on the other boot the metal lace buckle popped out completly. what can i do to repair, if atall possible.

Cheers any help will help, i have some ideas but it involves shiney bits and as you know polish wont take........

2. Bang into your local cobblers

Do you have a unit kit repairer/squippers on camp?

Unit Armourer might have something - where are you based? What unit?

3. the answer is yes the eyelits went on my boots and i didnt want to get rid of them as other than that they were ok.

i took them to a local cobbler, a proper old school one and he re did them for a quid a go

4. Why not replace all the buckle thingies with eyelets? You can get them in black or brass. A little packet (enough for a pair of boots) costs about two quid and that includes the little anvil and shaped dies you need to install them. All you provide is a hammer.

MsG

5. I could ask the armourer but these boots are only 6 month old, and a bit of a trek to crawley if he says he cant do it..

6. A proper old style cobbler should be able to repair them, (not the fast fix Timpson type places), go to the older part of town they are normally hidden down side streets.

On the other boot related threads, the companies that resole boots etc should be able to fix them.

If you are close to a regiment with horses they may have a unit cobbler who will be able to fix them.

If the boots are issued try changing them.

If you live near to Milton Keynes send me a PM

7. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Crawley, you say? there's a good cobblers near the station in Redhill if that helps.

8. This could be the way forward Bugsy but the holes are slightly smaller than your average lace hole, question is do they come in different sizes.

9. Fair one there C.C but will he put the buckle back on or slap some eyelets in..

10. You can buy eyelet (putter onner kits) kits .probly at hardware stores some cobblers craft shops etc

11. Yes, they do, Jiblit. I never wear anything else but army boots because I only take a size six and they're always available in that size. I also hate the hook thingies on them, so with every new pair, I remove all the hook dooberries and replace them with eyelets. You can get them in all sizes, but don't go any lower than an opening of 5 mm. I personally use the 6 mm ones.

MsG

Edited coz I forgot. Take all the hook thingies out and then get yourself to one of those heel-bar places for them to punch the holes a bit bigger. Don't waste your dosh on the hole punches with rotating heads you can buy for about a tenner. They're shite! I've actually got a professional jobbie like the cobblers have, but it cost me £55. Getting the holes punched by a cobbler will probably only cost you a donation to any charity boxes they have on the counter.

MsG

12. Cold_Collation

Mate, you'd have to ask him. But he's a proper shoemaker rather than a Timpson's. I've been there a few times.

If you know Redhill, he's right in the middle. Walk away from McD's towards the bank/pub in the middle (ie. away from the station), turn left towards The Belfry and he's right there on the immediate left.

I have to go into Redhill tomorrow. I'll post a phone number.

13. Yeah nice one C.C i know the area it wont be hard to find, but i'd prefer the buckles on, but if it's not possible i'll do the eyelet job, atleast i'll have some sort of support, the last thing i need is the SM eyeballing me for looking like a bag of shite and laces hanging off...

14. Cold_Collation

Sorry, mate - ended up abroad with work but had a wander past today for you.

If you've not already sorted things, the number is 01737 826555.

Good luck.

C_C

15. Cheers all, had some fun trying to get problem sorted, but sorted i did, went to an old school cobbler, job done..............