Booties in Japan

Can we look forward to rampaging hordes of Japanese marines dressed as geishas tearing up Shibuya then?

Maybe they were just visiting Japan to give the sons of Nippon a prebuy trial run of HMS Albion before they flog it off during the next round of cuts....

Excellent find.

Although Japanese ships used for amphibious operations must be jury-rigged to accommodate GSDF troops, the HMS Albion was purposely built for amphibious operations — and with the Royal Marines in mind.

Japanese visitors were reportedly impressed with how the ship’s physical layout maximizes efficient joint Marine-Navy command and control of ground, sea, and air operations, and allows movement of heavily-laden Royal Marines and their equipment off, on, and around the ship.

Japanese ship designers working on the MSDF’s next-generation amphibious ships can’t say they don’t know what’s needed.

The HMS Albion’s visit and planning for the Numazu exercise also highlighted several other longstanding issues facing the JSDF —particularly as it develops its amphibious force.

@jumpinjarhead - separately, it's been an age. I for one had wondered where you were and how you were.

Good to see you back. I trust you're well since we last wrote.

C_C
Thanks for that. Doing very well. Just got too busy with new firearms training business and grandchildren. ;-)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I, along with some of my fellow engineer reserves, were on Albion in July carrying out some mid deployment maintenance in Yokosuka.

I can only keep my fingers crossed that we start working with the Japanese more closely, because I’d ******* love a cheeky few weeks out there fixing ships every year. I love the place.

The HAC are having their annual ex out there next month too.

ugly

LE
It may be a first for the Army but it's not a first for the RN or RAF!

Regards,
MM
Its not really either for the army, as per usual the grown ups cant think back before their own careers started.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
It may be a first for the Army but it's not a first for the RN or RAF!

Regards,
MM
The RAF?

One of my erstwhile shipmates (he by then a Lt) had been Petty Officer of the seamen's landing platoon of HMS Newfoundland who he claimed were the first Brits ashore in Japan in Aug. 1945. There was a fear that the whole thing might kick off again when there was a loud bang when one our jolly tars shot a dog.

Previously we had in the 1860s bombarded Kagoshima and forced the straits of Shimonoseki, in one of which actions a cannon ball took off the Captain's head and the band struck up 'Oh Dear What an the Matter Be?' There is a memorial in Yokohama to the dead of HMS Euryalus in those actions, which one is pleased to note survived WW2.

The RAF?

One of my erstwhile shipmates (he by then a Lt) had been Petty Officer of the seamen's landing platoon of HMS Newfoundland who he claimed were the first Brits ashore in Japan in Aug. 1945. There was a fear that the whole thing might kick off again when there was a loud bang when one our jolly tars shot a dog.

Previously we had in the 1860s bombarded Kagoshima and forced the straits of Shimonoseki, in one of which actions a cannon ball took off the Captain's head and the band struck up 'Oh Dear What an the Matter Be?' There is a memorial in Yokohama to the dead of HMS Euryalus in those actions, which one is pleased to note survived WW2.
Barring the 1941-45 unpleasantness, the connections between the RN and Japanese naval power is remarkable. They still revere their flagship from the Battle of Tsushima, the Mikasa, which was built in Barrow-in-Furness(where there is also a street named after it). Indeed, the British Defence Attaché to Japan has a picture of the ship in his living room.

Today the JAMSDF is numerically far superior to the RN and undoubtedly one of the most capable navies in the World. However, their ability to project naval power globally is still immature.

Regards,
MM

ugly

LE
However, their ability to project naval power globally is still immature.
I read that as "as yet unwilling to risk anything let alone everything in a balls to the wall effort!"

Today the JAMSDF is numerically far superior to the RN and undoubtedly one of the most capable navies in the World. However, their ability to project naval power globally is still immature.

Regards,
MM
I read that as "as yet unwilling to risk anything let alone everything in a balls to the wall effort!"
But isn't that they're hesitant about projecting stuff and choose to primarily remain a "defense" force?

ugly

LE
A bit like the Heer post 1945.

Guess what? Both Japan and Germany have constitutional limits placed on their use of force by their post 1945 constitutions. Japan is not allowed to have 'armed forces', hence 'self defence forces'.

Amphibious capabilities, like putting F-35B on their decks, is likely to be politically sensitive.