boot zips

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by kmak577, Sep 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My old man was telling me about how when he was inuniform (came out mid 80's) he replaced his boot laces with a zip that clippedonto the eyelets. Been looking for the same for myself, not for military use,just walking the dog on a muddy trail! Any ideas where I can source some fromin the UK at a reasonable price. Looking at the ones that have hooks and clipon eyelets over the lace in equivalent. Any help very gratefully received!

2. Waste of time mate. Save yourself the bother.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wore a set of zips on Granby for a bit. They are a PITA. If, as you say, you are going walking in a muddy environment, be prepared for them to not work properly as they become fouled with crud.
    They also make an annoying noise as the top of the zipper bounces around.
    Stick with laces. They are much, much simpler. And you can do them up when your hands are cold and wet unlike zips!

• Like Like x 2
  4. The only boots that should have zips are thigh high ones worn by whores to be honest mate. Any others are just cack.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

When I was in the Air Cadets (yeah, take the piss *****) there was an instructor who wore Magnums with side zips.

Turned out he was a gay.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Don't doubt it.

Putting zips on boots only makes it a short step to strutting round in thigh high FMB's

7. Thanks for the imput, just thought it would be quicker than lacing the damn things up, clearly not!

8. Kmak, if your dog can't wait long enough for you to tie a pair of bootlaces before pebbledashing your porch he needs putting down not taking for a walk. If you are walking a long a muddy trail why not just use a pair of wellies?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Did everybody buy them back in the 80s? Yes.
    Did anybody pass it along that they were a waste of time? No.
    Did everybody chuckle when watching the next patsy realise they were a waste of time? Yes!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Most people don't fit them properly, which is why they have problems with them.

You will need para cord, pliers and a lighter. Very tightly lace in the zip between tongue and eyelets, and not on outside on top of eyelets. Lace them very tight and then knot and melt the ends of the cord to stop movement. Place a loop of para cord on the zips to give you some grip. I've used them for years without any problems. There are a few makes available, like mil-tec or Highlander or Magnum. The Mil-tec ones have a metal zipper IIRC, others a plastic no-clog zip. I've used both and both are good. You can get them in 8, 9 or 10 hole, but if you have a 10 hole boot, a 9 hole zip works okay. Just leave the top or bottom eyelet out.

They can be re-used too. These ones are on a 3rd boot now . ( I'll post a pic after I've had my lunch )

11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You love the cock don't you?

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I fuckin hate zips! Lost half my dome cover when I was a wee lad. Never got over the shame of running screaming into my grannies gaff with my nob hanging out all bloodied and the like. Fuckin granny just unzipped what was left and sent me back out to play with a bag of imps or mojos if I remember correctly! In fact granny had a massive zipper on her wash day gear. Oh for the joys of youth.....