Boot repair advice anyone? (Haix Airpower)

Verwaltung

Old-Salt
I wonder if anyone here could help me with a suggestion about how I might go about repairing my boots, or getting them repaired.

The stitching joining the toe cap to the rest of the boot is failing. I contacted Haix, at first they said they could help, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the receipt, also they are a couple of weeks outside of the two year guarantee period.

IMG_20201209_171908__01.jpg

I was thinking that some kind of flexible adhesive would be best, as trying to re-stitch them is probably impossible without damaging the goretex liner.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of adhesive I could use for a permanent repair, or have any other suggestions?

I don't want to give up on these yet, they were expensive, are in great shape otherwise, and are extremely comfortable! Thanks!

WALT

LE
Glue won't really work on that. It relies on large surface area contact, eg, soles for which I use this:-

I reckon that's going to need stitching. You should be able to do it from outside with a curved needle and avoiding going through the gortex lining. However, while I have no experience with Haix, I've found that gortex lining often wears away in a couple of years time, so maybe stitching through it isn't a big deal.

DAS

War Hero
Glue won't really work on that. It relies on large surface area contact, eg, soles for which I use this:-

I reckon that's going to need stitching. You should be able to do it from outside with a curved needle and avoiding going through the gortex lining. However, while I have no experience with Haix, I've found that gortex lining often wears away in a couple of years time, so maybe stitching through it isn't a big deal.
Yup was told much the same by Altberg when they resoled my bike boots - Goretex wearing through.

Re the OP's boots I'd just saddle stitch (single cord, 2 needles) with 0.6mm Tiger thread - polyproperline so doesn't rot, then lather with choice of waterproofing.

I wonder if anyone here could help me with a suggestion about how I might go about repairing my boots, or getting them repaired.

The stitching joining the toe cap to the rest of the boot is failing. I contacted Haix, at first they said they could help, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the receipt, also they are a couple of weeks outside of the two year guarantee period.

View attachment 533751

I was thinking that some kind of flexible adhesive would be best, as trying to re-stitch them is probably impossible without damaging the goretex liner.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of adhesive I could use for a permanent repair, or have any other suggestions?

I don't want to give up on these yet, they were expensive, are in great shape otherwise, and are extremely comfortable! Thanks!
It looks as if the stitches have torn through the stitch holes of the 'vamp' in that case you will need to add a leather patch before reattaching it to the underside of the 'toe cap'.

Singer used to make such a machine for patching and repairing riding boots, and if you are lucky you might find a cobbler who still knows how to do it.

The alternative is to cut a rounded patch from a piece of similar leather (I would ask Haix for a bit from their scrap bin); glue it in place with some rubber cement; then, as @WALT says, sew it with a curved needle (through premade holes using strong black polyester thread.)

Sorry, I don’t really do boots.

You may have already looked at these?

Verwaltung

Old-Salt
Thanks again for the suggestions. Actually the problem is just with the thread. The stitches haven't pulled through the leather, which is still in perfect shape.

That repair place in the UK looks promising, unfortunately postage from Finland is fabulously expensive (it's not nearly so bad in the other direction). I used to visit the UK regularly for work but unfortunately that's likely to stop now (not br*x*t related ).

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks again for the suggestions. Actually the problem is just with the thread. The stitches haven't pulled through the leather, which is still in perfect shape.

That repair place in the UK looks promising, unfortunately postage from Finland is fabulously expensive (it's not nearly so bad in the other direction). I used to visit the UK regularly for work but unfortunately that's likely to stop now (not br*x*t related ).
Varusteleka manage to ship stuff to UK for a reasonable amount, either by Posti or DHL - admittedly they'll be paying 'bulk rates', have you thought about some of the shipping aggregators (parcelmonkey etc.) or even asking the UK company if they have an account and can book your shipping?

bentobox

Old-Salt

Another shoe repair glue is "Shoo Goo", I have used it the past, my repair was a bit hasty, so not the tidiest, I am sure with more time and care better results could be had.

Amazon product

Latest Threads