Boot advice small feet!

Hi been reading the forum for a while now and just decided to join up. I have got my first interview on the 16th so hopefully wont be to long before i can get things going. Recently i have been improving my fitness with the usual things and been going on 10k-20k hiking trips at a good pace on hard terrain. I do have some boots at the minute from my shooting and fishing days but looking at getting something proper. I am only a size 5.5 in standard trainers and have been looking at the altberg defenders. I cant find them new anywhere online im guessing because there issue. But have found a website claiming they are new, not sure how true this is. Does anyone know what the sizing is like for these boots, or can recommend some that are pretty much the same by any chance.

If i do manage to get some defenders, they will be warn in property by the time i reach phase 1 if everything goes okay. Would i be able to wear these for the training as they would be a lot better on my feet or would they still make me use the issue kit. I have also purchased a camelbak motherlode lite. Would i be able to use this.

I do have one more question, if i do manage to source the boots would you recommend doing my running training in these too or just stick to standard trainers.

Sorry for the long post, i am just trying to make life easier in the future if possible.

Thanks.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Powers that be tend to take a less than tolerant view on recruit dress.
Train in decent trainers to get fit , running in boots can be a bad idea.
The Army will issue you boots that fit , well worth having spare decent insoles so one pair in boot and one drying in locker
Gucci kit comes later in life

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My missus is a size 5.5 and I bought her a pair of AKU Slopes which she loves.

The issue AKU Pilgrims are similar to the Slopes and do come in girls sizes.

Most modern boots require little to no breaking in.

As for using your own kit in basic training. It’s a no. You’ll be issued everything you need. You can use it after training depending on your unit, but you won’t need to. You’ll get better stuff free off the mob.

If you do go running in boots start gently and build yourself up. Shin splints aren’t fun.

Run in trainers. Do not start training with the potential of already having problems.

Go for regular walk's wearing your boots, when you get them, and carry a daysack with a few kilos in there. Depending on your capability build up the weight gradually till you are doing a few miles carrying 10 - 15 kilos.

Remember to hydrate, and remember the old Ranger adage of "drink [water] today for tomorrow".

Good luck.

Edit to add: Check calorific use of a one mile run against a one mile walk, also consider some cycling as a non-impact exercise.

Will do, cycling + swimming is the next priority to get started on hopefully next week. Cut my calorie intake down to 1500 calories too and seem to be doing a lot better on that (was eating around 3-4000 a day before and all crappy foods).

neil82

Old-Salt
Will do, cycling + swimming is the next priority to get started on hopefully next week. Cut my calorie intake down to 1500 calories too and seem to be doing a lot better on that (was eating around 3-4000 a day before and all crappy foods).
unless your overweight and need to cut down forget about calorie counting, with your increased exercise regime at 1500 per day you could easily burn off a hell of a lot more than your taking in, what you should focus on is WHAT your eating

ugly

LE
Dont worry about your shape (girls seem fixated as do some boys about this) The Army has very good gym queens who will build you up at a rate where pretty soon you wont recognise yourself.
Dont be daft and do yourself in before you get there!
Cycling, swimming and walking are all reasonably low impact fizz and I got ready for my Junior Brecon on a rowing machine with just gentle runs around my local park.

I wouldnt say over weight but could go with loosing a bit more if possible. just let y self go a while back and need to loose a bit of flab!

I was not on about cutting back on calorific intake when I said check calories burned running and walking. What I meant was that you burn around the same amount of calories doing either form of exercise - it is just that you can trot 3 or 4 miles quicker than you can walk it.

Walking, cycling and swimming are much lower impact than running and 1000% lower than running in boots.

If you are healthy now stay on the same calorific intake, just make sure you eat healthy and keep away from chocolate, bickie's, crisps and pop. If you increase the amount of exercise you are doing and keep on the same level of calorific intake you will lose weight, tone up and get fitter - you will probably find your body demands more food anyway.

Just take it easy as any injury you pick up now will be magnified later if it cannot heal properly before you go.

ugly

LE
I do have some boots at the minute from my shooting and fishing days but looking at getting something proper. I am only a size 5.5 in standard trainers and have been looking at the altberg defenders. I cant find them new anywhere online im guessing because there issue. But have found a website claiming they are new, not sure how true this is. Does anyone know what the sizing is like for these boots, or can recommend some that are pretty much the same by any chance.
@clayp1g for boot advice with small sizes

Do NOT run with weights, by the way. Too much risk of injury.

Latest Threads