Boosting in-car DAB

My Toyota Yaris had a conventional looking sticky-uppy antenna and DAB reception was fine all round. I swapped it for an Auris estate (there was nothing wrong with the Yaris, I just didn't like it. The Auris d-4d Sport Touring is very nice car indeed - 67MPG on the Motorway) which has a shark fin antenna and DAB is pump. Even driving past Birmingham on the M42 it cuts out. The dealer tells me it's one of those things....mmmmm, of course it is.

I've done some googling and found this

DAB/FM Shark Fin Antenna Digital DAB Radio Areals fitting extra - I drive by them on my way up to Mum's so getting it done is no problem.

Any ARRSonists used this company/bought this product/ got any better suggestions? Given the choice I listen to DAB exclusively - TMS on 5LSX, R5L, 4 Extra so good DAB is certainly needed.

In-car DAB seems to be a black art.
Your new car should be better than the old one as technology has improved.
I might be tempted to try another dealer first.

SSFC (Shiny Shite From China) phone chargers, dash cams etc can interfere with in-car DAB. If you have any such devices, unplug them and see if it improves the situation.

The Becker DAB system in my Carrera 4S never worked properly, despite my tearing the dealer a new asshole. My cousin has a 2016 Audi RS4, and the stereo in that is pants as well.

My Toyota Yaris had a conventional looking sticky-uppy antenna and DAB reception was fine all round. I swapped it for an Auris estate (there was nothing wrong with the Yaris, I just didn't like it. The Auris d-4d Sport Touring is very nice car indeed - 67MPG on the Motorway) which has a shark fin antenna and DAB is pump. Even driving past Birmingham on the M42 it cuts out. The dealer tells me it's one of those things....mmmmm, of course it is.

I've done some googling and found this

DAB/FM Shark Fin Antenna Digital DAB Radio Areals fitting extra - I drive by them on my way up to Mum's so getting it done is no problem.

Any ARRSonists used this company/bought this product/ got any better suggestions? Given the choice I listen to DAB exclusively - TMS on 5LSX, R5L, 4 Extra so good DAB is certainly needed.

probably not the solution you are looking for

i got one of these for the landy and it never misses a beat. even in darkest shithole no cover cornwall

five minute set up as well

DAB dooby doo

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
This is the last paragraph on the Beeb digital car radio site.

A helically wound car aerial is short and stubby and is usually roof mounted. They are often fitted to newer model cars and are designed to amplify the FM signal, so may not work effectively with a DAB radio. You can either replace your existing car aerial with a combined FM/DAB aerial, or you can buy a separate DAB aerial to sit alongside your existing FM aerial.

So it sounds like your new shark fin aerial is not fit for purpose when it comes to digital broadcasts. Why do car manufacturers advertise cars with and obviously fit digital radios but fit aerials that are not compatable?

ugly

LE
I had a big van with DAB in the normal antenna. It was ok with a few dead spots locally. I bought a new radio for my car that required a separate DAB antenna on the windscreen. Its crappy to say the least locally but up on the motorway it does perform ok.

The dealer agrees the antenna should be better than the traditional ones so is going to have a look at it next week

Relocating my dashcam and running the power lead to the back accessory socket seems to have cleared up the issue - fingers crossed.