Booster Jab - Yes or No?

marty870

War Hero
I got Covid 3 months after my second jab, I didn't have to be hospitalised but I was ill for 5 weeks with it.
I will certainly have the booster when it's offered.

waltbloke

Old-Salt
The other argument is the moral one, no one should get a booster until everyone in poorer countries has been vaccinated. That fails at the first glance, of what's the countries moral imperative? To protect its own population, especially if someone has contributed to that country. Or someone far away who has at best, no impact on the country. Where does a countries duty of care lie?
Interesting point and as one might think, I suggest that I never knowingly siphoned aid given, never siphoned monies donated to a Swiss bank account, nor (using given money) weaponised a country for ill perceived aims. Other political leaders seem to think differently, however. So they can shove it, along with the EU.

Last edited:
I wont be getting the booster, at least not yet. Two reasons.

First the booster is the Pfizer jab and as I've had the AZ vaccine twice is it safe to mix and match? I've got the words Gulf War Syndrome niggling in the back of my mind.

Second, and the main reason. I've developed kidney problems and until I can get a diagnosis (I've had an ultrasound and am having a CT scan next week) I don't want to do anything that may have an impact on potential treatment.

I can't get a booster until the middle of December anyway so it might be resolved by then and I can reassess my options. My girlfriend has already had both the flu and booster jab - I thought that I'd let them try it out on her first.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

First the booster is the Pfizer jab and as I've had the AZ vaccine twice is it safe to mix and match? I've got the words Gulf War Syndrome niggling in the back of my mind.

Second, and the main reason. I've developed kidney problems and until I can get a diagnosis (I've had an ultrasound and am having a CT scan next week) I don't want to do anything that may have an impact on potential treatment.

I can't get a booster until the middle of December anyway so it might be resolved by then and I can reassess my options. My girlfriend has already had both the flu and booster jab - I thought that I'd let them try it out on her first.
The Pfizer gives more protection. If you’ve kidney problems then you don’t want covid on top.

My initial 2 jabs were AZ, the booster was Pfizer. I had no reaction to the Pfizer at all apart from a sore arm with the injection. I had the flu jab at the same time.

Tyk

LE
When it's offered I'll have it.

I don't see any negatives and my general health is about the same as it was when I had the first two.

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
I had my booster today . I the first two I had were the A-Z and although I felt grim after it I have not had covid . I had the Az because I was having an allergic reaction to the polyethylene glycol or PEG that's in the Pfizer .
However I was told by a hospital immunology dept that I wasn't allergic to it . So I booked my booster with the Pfizer, as precaution I took antihistamine and 30mg of steroids to prep myself , told the inoculation person who checked with the GP on site who was good and we said it ' s better to have the booster than get covid .
So i get the injection and within five mins the room starts spinning and I want to go to sleep. I'm made to lay down, BP taken it looked good , then taken again within another 10 mins and it plummeted , and I couldn't breathe and had wheezy cough, itching and tingling lips . And v v dizzy even laying down , so adrenaline administered , antihistamine given ambulance and spent the rest of the day in resus .
Had a secondary reaction within 5 hours . More adrenaline, antihistamine and steroids .

I'm home now . So it wasn't the Pfizer per se but the filler they use . But although unpleasant better than getting covid !
Get your booster now !

Going for mine tomorrow.Felt a bit rough after first one, second one was fine.We will see.

Seems me and the present Mrs R aren’t going to be offered the booster. Both under 50.
My colleague is going to be offered one, and he is younger than me, by one month. He is diabetic, so good for him.
Last week his OH and nipper had COVID. My colleague tested negative throughout but stayed away for a week. Due to the nature of our work, we cannot work from home.
As there are millions of tossers who won’t even have the first jab, I would like to have the booster so I can crack on with work.
My mukker’s OH felt like crap for a week. Nothing a TV box set and some Lemsip couldn’t sort out. I’d still like a booster to give me, and my colleagues some confidence that we carry on as normal.

wolfgang

Old-Salt
I'll happily take a booster but I may have to wait a while.
I had two jabs about a year ago as part of a Novavax trial in Scotland. As announced 2 weeks ago,trials participants in England will be offered one of the approved vaccines, (or potentially more Novavax), as a booster.However,the SNP has yet to make a decision on this.
The scientific data available to both Westminster and Holyrood is the same so I can only assume that the SNP are playing politics with peoples health,again.

They reckon it was sarin gas, released from when Iraqi ammo dumps were bombed.

I had all those jabs they gave us too. Two female medics gave me mine. It was well worth it to get close to a female.

Missus and me have our booster jabs booked in for 5th November which is 6 months after we had our second jab. Both over 70 and will be having the flu vaccine at the same time.

Our region in Spain has already boostered those in residential homes and those with underlying problems. They will only be doing the over 70s with no problems to start with and then going down to the over 65s with the possibility of the over 60s later but have said that tests have shown the booster is not necessary for those under 60 who have no other problems.

Both our vaccines were Pfizer and they will be giving the same one for the booster. Missus had a sore arm after the first one but nothing after the second one. How it works with one in each arm I'll no doubt find out in a couple of weeks.

Health workers will be next to get the booster starting the same week we get ours. They reckon 98% of the over 70s have had both vaccines and will be aiming to increase the 75% of flu vaccines they did last year to that level.

They will not be giving the AZ vaccine to those over 70 but have approved the Janssen vaccine booster and are still considering the Moderna vaccine as a booster but they have enough Pfizer vaccines and reckon the mix and match with the AZ vaccines won't be a problem.

Size 8m by the way, but not available until after Bonfire night.

They reckon it was sarin gas, released from when Iraqi ammo dumps were bombed.

I had all those jabs they gave us too. Two female medics gave me mine. It was well worth it to get close to a female.
Thanks for that. Obviously I'm still a bit wary but I'll wait to see what medical advice I receive from the renal team. I had a CT scan yesterday so hopefully a diagnosis will follow shortly. It is a really weird feeling when they inject the marker dye into you. Telling you that you might feel as though you have wet yourself when you are required to have a full bladder is somewhat disconcerting.

Had booster and flu jab tonight about 1700. Right now I've a thump in the arm feeling in my Covid arm (again) and nothing at all in the flu arm. No doubt my immune system will make its presence felt early tomorrow afternoon as before. Talking to the Doc tonight I jokingly said "see you in a year" , "six months more like Pvivax , I'd say" he replied. Incidentally my next door neighbour who is a peeler and pretty physically fit caught covid from his daughter. Despite being double vaccinated, it absolutely floored him for a week and a half. He would have certainly ended up in hospital if not ICU if he hadn't.

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
Had booster and flu jab tonight about 1700. Right now I've a thump in the arm feeling in my Covid arm (again) and nothing at all in the flu arm. No doubt my immune system will make its presence felt early tomorrow afternoon as before. Talking to the Doc tonight I jokingly said "see you in a year" , "six months more like Pvivax , I'd say" he replied. Incidentally my next door neighbour who is a peeler and pretty physically fit caught covid from his daughter. Despite being double vaccinated, it absolutely floored him for a week and a half. He would have certainly ended up in hospital if not ICU if he hadn't.
Apart from my PEG issues , i started to feel flu like and heavy arm but I took some paracetamol and I don't feel to grim , maybe it will catch up with tomorrow who knows, but for now I'm OK ( ish).
I hope you only have minimal side effects and feel better soon.

Apart from my PEG issues , i started to feel flu like and heavy arm but I took some paracetamol and I don't feel to grim , maybe it will catch up with tomorrow who knows, but for now I'm OK ( ish).
I hope you only have minimal side effects and feel better soon.
The immune system had better sort itself out over tomorrow. (always why I get my jabs on a Friday night!) It's my birthday on Sunday and champagne and smoked salmon is on the menu!

Last edited:

quilter

War Hero
Had my booster last week., sore arm for a couple of days but feeling fine now., waiting to have my annual flu jab, all seems OK so far - holiday in three weeks so want to be flighting fit for the fray as they say., for Pvivx., Happy Birthday for Sunday, enjoy! :blowkiss: