Booster Jab - Yes or No?

Oh, I'm on the priority group. My original NHS blue envelope letter specifically was for a flu jab. Covid booster was a side-offer if I was over six months out from the second jab, which I was. My GP practice, like a lot of others up here, has abrogated their responsibility for doing flu vaccinations in favour of farming everyone out to the NHS Inform Scotland mob. Who, from my personal experience, could not organize a piss-up in a brewery if it involved anything other than Covid.

If I survive this bloody Covid pandemic yet manage to die of the Flu because I can't even buy the fecking jab for it, I'm going to haunt whatever twat thought it was a good idea to torpedo one of their flagship policies in favour of another one.

I had no problem, like you, the blue letter said flu jab and that i may be offered a booster and when I turned up got both which is what everyone else got too so something catastrophic appears to have gone wrong at your practise if you never received the flu jab mate

I had no problem, like you, the blue letter said flu jab and that i may be offered a booster and when I turned up got both which is what everyone else got too so something catastrophic appears to have gone wrong at your practise if you never received the flu jab mate
It wasn’t the fault of his practice. Glasgow and Clyde Health Board use mass vaccination centres for both flu and covid vaccinations rather than GP practices. In the rush to hit the booster targets, they decided to de-prioritise flu vaccinations, which is what has led to Tam not getting his.
It’s a bit of a bourach, and I don’t know how they’re going to pull it back.

Ah you follow Ferguson Numbers.

So obviously ignore the 'Data issues' 2 days worth of Kim Un Drakeford stats & UK Death stats include backlog from 24th December. They fall into the 'unforeseen circumstances' in the Ferguson Number system - an excellent system at the subatomic level where time moves diagonally and occasionally kettle.

Before the backlog it was around 150k and it was clearly rising exponentially.

Nothing has changed that would suggest cases are going to go down, so I trust the data which is acting similar to observations elsewhere and our theoretical understanding in terms of what does and doesn’t facilitate transmission.

Also the error in the initial post was comparing predictions of cases from the model with real life hospitalisation (apples and oranges). (Easy enough mistake - but cases and hospitalisations are different metrics).

And generally we should be mindful of cases given the data indicates a large percentage of those will suffer long term even in the non-hospitalised.

Personally I’m not of the opinion that we do need to lock down as we can’t keep trashing the economy especially when it seems to be the unvaccinated and individuals who are clogging things up (personally I had vaccine hesitancy initially but I think most agree the vaccinations are safe and it’s sensible to take something with a risk in the millions to mitigate something with a risk in the 100s, as well as civic duty).

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
It wasn’t the fault of his practice. Glasgow and Clyde Health Board use mass vaccination centres for both flu and covid vaccinations rather than GP practices. In the rush to hit the booster targets, they decided to de-prioritise flu vaccinations, which is what has led to Tam not getting his.
It’s a bit of a bourach, and I don’t know how they’re going to pull it back.

Yep, you're spot on about that, mate. Even the pharmacists in the chains like Well Pharmacy and Boots are pissed at the whole clusterfuck if the one that gave me my flu jab today are anything to go by. If GCHB could have been bothered to talk to them, they could have used the neighbourhood chemists to deliver the flu jabs, saving the mass centres for just the Covid-19 series of jabs. It would have been especially a good idea for those in the priority groups, like yours truly, and saved them the bother of trekking all over this particular bit of Hell's Creation trying to find a place to get stabbed in the arm with a pointy needle.

I think paying £14.50 for the privilege of said stabbing stung worse than the jab itself, but at least it's done for another year - and before the New Year bloody started.

Yep, you're spot on about that, mate. Even the pharmacists in the chains like Well Pharmacy and Boots are pissed at the whole clusterfuck if the one that gave me my flu jab today are anything to go by. If GCHB could have been bothered to talk to them, they could have used the neighbourhood chemists to deliver the flu jabs, saving the mass centres for just the Covid-19 series of jabs. It would have been especially a good idea for those in the priority groups, like yours truly, and saved them the bother of trekking all over this particular bit of Hell's Creation trying to find a place to get stabbed in the arm with a pointy needle.

I think paying £14.50 for the privilege of said stabbing stung worse than the jab itself, but at least it's done for another year - and before the New Year bloody started.
Glad you managed to get it done at least. I think my mother paid for hers as well.

TamH70

MIA
Glad you managed to get it done at least. I think my mother paid for hers as well.

Not good, that. I'm pretty sure that she shouldn't have had to. There're a lot of us in the same boat, I think.

Had my booster around three weeks ago now, astra zenica. The doctor was very efficient, door open whole line of people sleeves rolled up, in jab out next. Only waited max half an hour for the whole thing.

Nigeria have been forking over their own hard cash for vaccine. Their problem has been that their suppliers are the companies who have had trouble delivering.

Not completely true: Ireland donated 500 000 doses in November with a further 1m doses donated in December from other sources (it was these doses that Nigeria had destroyed as they were (allegedly) too close to their expiry date coupled with national distribution problems).

Not completely true: Ireland donated 500 000 doses in November with a further 1m doses donated in December from other sources (it was these doses that Nigeria had destroyed as they were (allegedly) too close to their expiry date coupled with national distribution problems).
I mentioned in the post following that one the problems Nigeria had with donations from old stocks coming with short shelf lives. I hadn't heard before though that the donation had been from Ireland.

Last spring Canada was able to get two shipments of Oxford vaccine, one from SII in India, and one from the US. Both were sales of unused stocks which the customer was getting rid of because they were about to expire (it was never announced who the customer who returned the SII shipment was). We were so desperate for any vaccine at all however that we took them.

It was a mad scramble to get the vaccine into arms before it expired, even with special arrangements made for it, right down to the last days before expiry.

Until late in Canada's vaccination program supplies of other vaccines direct from the manufacturers in Europe were irregular and unpredictable (and were cut off altogether at one point). This threw constant kinks into the programs as vaccination centres had pipelines of people coming in but had no idea whether they would have vaccine for them on any given day. That things went as well as they did was down to the people running the show becoming masters of improvisation. What the provinces running the programs constantly said was that what they needed most was a steady predictable supply from the manufacturer.

I can't see Nigeria or the rest of Africa running things better than that using stocks being disposed of. The most likely result of anyone turning down their booster jab in the impression that it would go to someone in Africa is that it will end up sitting on a shelf in your own country before being tossed out. It may make you feel virtuous to turn down your jab, but you're not actually helping anyone that way.

So, to everyone reading this, get your jab.

"These estimates suggest that vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease with the Omicron variant is significantly lower than compared to the Delta variant and wanes rapidly. Nevertheless, protection against hospitalisation is much greater than that against symptomatic disease, in particular after a booster dose, where vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation is close to 90%. Further data is needed to estimate the duration of protection against hospitalisation. Experience with previous variants suggests that this will be sustained longer than protection against symptomatic disease"

So NuWufluLite (which hardly anyone needs anything more than a bit of lie down) is beating the magic vaccines; but even though they are ineffective they stop you going to Hospital with a disease (which you pick up in hospital after going in with something else as you don't really go to Hospital because of NuWuFluLite) to the tune of 90% with a booster?
And this 'protection' will last longer based on the 'previous variants' which NuWuFluLite isn't and isn't behaving anything like?

"These estimates suggest that vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease with the Omicron variant is significantly lower than compared to the Delta variant and wanes rapidly. Nevertheless, protection against hospitalisation is much greater than that against symptomatic disease, in particular after a booster dose, where vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation is close to 90%. Further data is needed to estimate the duration of protection against hospitalisation. Experience with previous variants suggests that this will be sustained longer than protection against symptomatic disease"

So NuWufluLite (which hardly anyone needs anything more than a bit of lie down) is beating the magic vaccines; but even though they are ineffective they stop you going to Hospital with a disease (which you pick up in hospital after going in with something else as you don't really go to Hospital because of NuWuFluLite) to the tune of 90% with a booster?
And this 'protection' will last longer based on the 'previous variants' which NuWuFluLite isn't and isn't behaving anything like?
Have you just suffered a traumatic brain injury?

Do you have that in English? Not the bit you copy-pasted, the drivel you added onto the end.

Oyibo

LE
Snipped...

I can't see Nigeria or the rest of Africa running things better than that using stocks being disposed of. The most likely result of anyone turning down their booster jab in the impression that it would go to someone in Africa is that it will end up sitting on a shelf in your own country before being tossed out. It may make you feel virtuous to turn down your jab, but you're not actually helping anyone that way.

So, to everyone reading this, get your jab.

I'd amplify that statement a few-fold for countries such as Nigeria:
  • No mains electricity in most of the country. Vaccines cannot be refrigerated.
  • Clinics may have generators, but fuel price rises or shortages make it unviable to run them 24/7 to keep the vaccines refrigerated.
  • Dire roads/transport networks combined with fuel prices make refrigerated transport 'challenging'/very expensive.
  • No effective registers of individuals to be vaccinated
  • No effective health system to administer vaccinations
  • Outright hostility (not hesitancy) amongst a great many to the vaccines [it's a western plot to make us sterile]
  • The almost impossibility of implementing a vaccination certificate program. (Too many factors to list here.)
  • Widespread terrorism in the North East of Nigeria
That's off the top of my head - there's probably more factors which I haven't listed.

But before anyone has a go about my point about African hostility towards vaccinations, just remember the utter nut-jobs in the West destroying 5G infrastructure not long ago.

ETA. Had my third jab today in France

Last edited:
Now the 4th Jab is going deep

During the COVID-19 pandemic, Montagnier was criticised for using his Nobel prize status to "spread dangerous health messages outside his field of knowledge"[6] for promoting the conspiracy theory that SARS-CoV-2 was deliberately created in a laboratory. Such a claim has been refuted by other virologists.[7][8][9][10]

1. France, Connexion. "French Nobel prize winner: 'Covid-19 was made in lab'". www.connexionfrance.com. Retrieved 24 July 2021.
  2. ^ Grimes, David Robert. "COVID Has Created a Perfect Storm for Fringe Science". Scientific American. Retrieved 4 August 2021.
  3. ^ Dupuy, Beatrice; Klepper, David; Amiri, Farnoush (26 April 2021). "The superspreaders behind top COVID-19 conspiracy theories". AP NEWS.
  4. ^ Jump up to:a b Frutos, Roger; Gavotte, Laurent; Devaux, Christian A. (18 March 2021). "Understanding the origin of COVID-19 requires to change the paradigm on zoonotic emergence from the spillover to the circulation model". Infection, Genetics and Evolution: 104812. doi:10.1016/j.meegid.2021.104812. ISSN 1567-1348. PMC 7969828. PMID 33744401.
  5. ^ Andersen, Kristian G.; Rambaut, Andrew; Lipkin, W. Ian; Holmes, Edward C.; Garry, Robert F. (April 2020). "The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2". Nature Medicine. 26 (4): 450–452. doi:10.1038/s41591-020-0820-9. ISSN 1546-170X. PMC 7095063. PMID 32284615.

Latest Threads