Booster Jab - Yes or No?

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn’t get any NHS messages, but did get one from my GP inviting me to book a vaccination, but I’d already had my booster by then.
Had one of those, and unlike SWMBO, actually read it and clicked the "I've already had it" link. She keeps getting them...

fair comment. Apparently there is an agreement with the phone companies for alerts to be automatically sent regarding flooding etc (not sure how they identify who to contact - I wouldn't give a toss if the Thames was going to flood tonight) but HM Gov decided not to use this. I think these things are a variation of the old system in GPO days of certain numbers being allocated for Government use if "the balloon went up". "Protect and Survive" and all that.
I assume people either register their interest in the case of something like flooding and get a text regardless of where they are at the time OR if you are within range of a certain cell tower you get a message.

rmn

LE
I assume people either register their interest in the case of something like flooding and get a text regardless of where they are at the time OR if you are within range of a certain cell tower you get a message.
good point. Not sure about that - merely going on what Radio 4 reported.

There is a very strong argument that we are wasting boosters on increasingly young fit and healthy when it could be better to keep what stocks we have targeted at the old and infirm
There may well be a move to that approach in the future but I don't think it it will be considered as a policy for a while yet.

There may well be a move to that approach in the future but I don't think it it will be considered as a policy for a while yet.
Given the havoc that omicron has caused, I suspect that any calls to dump reserve stockpiles on the third world will fall on deaf ears. Another variant could pop out of Russia or the US 4 months from now and it could be far worse than omicron. Every first world government will want to be holding the option of another round of boosters, just in case.

South Africa by the way was telling manufacturers to delay shipments of vaccine because they couldn't use what they already had. Anyone who tells you that omicron could have been avoided if only more vaccine had been shipped to South Africa isn't very clued in to what is actually happening with respect to vaccination programs in Africa.

Also, African countries are getting a bit pissed at first world countries dumping their old stockpiles on them. Nigeria have said they will refuse to accept future donations which are near expiry, as they have just had to destroy 1 million doses which expired before they could use them. What they want is a steady, predictable supply direct from the manufacturer.

So, get your booster jab and don't feel any guilt about it.

My GP service, but didn't get one from NHS booster either.

I suspect it's reverse SMS based on location, with the locations targeted by low vaccination take up rates/high case numbers.

I'd bet you can say 'every phone logged onto these towers gets the message'. This would have the advantage of reaching people whom you would not normally be able to reach as pretty much everyone these days has a mobile, even if they're not on the radar of official services.

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect it's reverse SMS based on location, with the locations targeted by low vaccination take up rates/high case numbers.

I'd bet you can say 'every phone logged onto these towers gets the message'. This would have the advantage of reaching people whom you would not normally be able to reach as pretty much everyone these days has a mobile, even if they're not on the radar of official services.
You can indeed do that, normally through opting into the emergency alert system.

If people aren't on the emergency alert system on their mobile settings then that won't work, and an all sims connected call will go through, but is more difficult to do legally as it falls foul of anti spam legislation.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Mebbes. But like others here I seem to have been bombarded with reminders and exhortations only after getting the jab done.

Given the havoc that omicron has caused, I suspect that any calls to dump reserve stockpiles on the third world will fall on deaf ears. Another variant could pop out of Russia or the US 4 months from now and it could be far worse than omicron. Every first world government will want to be holding the option of another round of boosters, just in case.

South Africa by the way was telling manufacturers to delay shipments of vaccine because they couldn't use what they already had. Anyone who tells you that omicron could have been avoided if only more vaccine had been shipped to South Africa isn't very clued in to what is actually happening with respect to vaccination programs in Africa,

Also, African countries are getting a bit pissed at first world countries dumping their old stockpiles on them. Nigeria have said they will refuse to accept future donations which are near expiry, as they have just had to destroy 1 million doses which expired before they could use them. What they want is a steady, predictable supply direct from the manufacturer.

So, get your booster jab and don't feel any guilt about it.

Possibly the Nigerian political elite could stop robbing the national coffers blind for a week or two then funds would be available to purchase sufficient quantity on the open market?

Radical idea I know - just thought I'd put it out there . . .

Dread

LE
Possibly the Nigerian political elite could stop robbing the national coffers blind for a week or two then funds would be available to purchase sufficient quantity on the open market?

Radical idea I know - just thought I'd put it out there . . .
Ooohhhh! You racist!

Think of the economic damage that would happen should they follow your advice...

...the production lines in Stuttgart making S600 Maybachs and G63 4x4s would come to a juddering halt.

Dread

LE
Earlier this year I had two shots of Pfizer vaccine. Last month I had a booster shot: Moderna. I felt shite for a day, had a massive lump develop in the armpit of the arm that took the injection that took a week to subside.

Three days ago I had a sore throat, headache, bit snotty. I felt really tired and basically slept for a day. Wife was concerned so we did a lateral flow test: was positive. Aware of the risk of false positives, yesterday I took a PCR test: positive.

I'm now feeling perfectly fine.

I'm happy I took my booster shot.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
Flat out for 2 years?
ONS yesterday 7372 patients in hospital with but necessarily because of Covid. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare.
So a pretty flat line since that reckless Freedom Day when they were going to be swamped by the 'inevitable' 100000 - 200000 'Ferguson Numbers*'. UK Covid cases could hit 200,000 a day, says scientist behind lockdown strategy

1229 UK Hospitals (NHS Service Directory)
141 000 Beds - a decrease of about 53% since 1988 - while the population has increased by about 10 million (Kings Fund Sep 2021).

Latest ICNARC also shows that the majority of patients in CCUs were jabbed and they still class you as the dirty unvaxxed if you've been jabbed within 14 days. ICNARC – Reports

The National Covid Service has had quite a nice time of it since it replaced the NHS, it still cant plan for freak events like winter even though its had billions more thrown at it and now has 6 million unimportant patients waiting to be be seen.

The answer to stop the NCS being swamped is to stop seeing patients and play darts instead?
Nope I don't see it.

*Ferguson Number: a hypothetical particle consisting of a bound state of exponentially increasing 'cases' and have a weak interaction with reality
Ferguson has been getting his estimates wrong for years.

Does Boris Johnson mean that over 90% of people in ICU on ventilators are fully vaccinated but not boosted?

Does Boris Johnson mean that over 90% of people in ICU on ventilators are fully vaccinated but not boosted?

My take is that he means that the 90% have not received a third, or booster, shot. While this includes people with two jabs it also includes those with no jabs or only one jab.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
My take is that he means that the 90% have not received a third, or booster, shot. While this includes people with two jabs it also includes those with no jabs or only one jab.
But the slippery weasel has not said if they are in ICU because they have covid or for something else, as usual a politician moving his lips is lying.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
had the booster last week, made me ill for a day and a half, well worth doing for my piece of mind .