Booster Jab - Yes or No?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I've started a new thread because this is about the possibility of getting Covid booster jabs. If the MODs wish to merge then so be it.

Conversation with SWMBO last night we were discussing the possibility of getting Covid booster jabs and whether this is a good or bad thing. SWMBO was an Occupational Therapist and has worked within the wider medical profession for over 30 years.

FOR: Vulnerable people will get increased protection.

AGAINST: if you've had 2 jabs then Covid is likely to be no worse than a dose of 'flu and may well give better protection than a 3rd jab.

DISCUSSION: I'm a type 2 diabetic but otherwise reasonably healthy. My personal choice would be to have a 3rd jab. But... No.1 son got Covid after having his first jab, and it was no more than a very mild dose of 'flu for 3-4 days. If it's offered with my annual 'flu jab then I'll certainly take it.

If I got Covid and it was a mild dose of 'flu symptoms but gave me better immunity then I'd probably accept getting Covid.

QUESTION: Do we go for a 3rd jab for non-vulnerable people or not, and would or would you not want a 3rd jab?

I would have no hesitation in a booster shot, the only proviso would be that my wife (non-former-shielding person) would be able to have it at the same time as me (former shielding person)
To be otherwise would be unfair in my book.
It was no problem with the original jab, I alone got called forward but mentioned the above when they phoned and they simply added my wife (same age group as me) next to me on the appointment.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I’m happy to have a booster. It would make sense (to me) to do it at the same time as the annual flu jab. I’ve been having the flu jab annually for years.

I had no reaction of any kind to the initial COVID ones, so happy to have the booster.

I’m happy to have a booster. It would make sense (to me) to do it at the same time as the annual flu jab. I’ve been having the flu jab annually for years.

I had no reaction of any kind to the initial COVID ones, so happy to have the booster.
It’ll be very unlikely that they’ll give two similar vaccines at the same time as it increases the chances of side effects.

jmb3296

War Hero
Absolutely
I have a close friend who was shielding and contracted this vile disease in hospital whilst in for an urgent procedure and died. Ironically just before vaccines came on line.
I consider myself lucky to be vaccinated and to live in a part of the world that not only devoted countless treasure and resources to get these vaccines developed and then offered to me for free.
Will I take a booster if offered, yes, immediately.

Sorry, what's the negative again? It's literally a case of zero negatives.

Interestingly it may be that we already have people floating about with 3 or more jabs, possibly from multiple different vaccine makes.
In an effort to reach the hard to get at corners of society there's been walk in centres where you can show up and get jabbed. No questions asked, and no paperwork required. So it is possible that they're are individuals who have gone to multiple clinics to get stuck.

I'm hard pressed to see any negatives here as well.

I get a flu and a pneumonia vaccination every year. [Edit: I just had my annual flu vaccination. Apparently pneumonia is a one-off vaccination]

No logical or sensible reason not to add a Covid booster.

I had both Pfizer vaccinations but still caught Covid (despite taking all possible precautions because of pre-existing health issues). It hardly affected me at all (ironically it reduced my blood pressure) and was no worse than a very mild summer cold (felt a bit fuzzy headed for a day or two). And that was with a subsequently discovered serious chest issue.

I think those two vaccinations saved my life. Why wouldn't I want to stack the cards in my favour in future.

Last edited:
^ Eggzackery wot u sed.

I had intended to add that as a primary reason, apart from all the other sensible and logical reasons.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the possibilities is that you actually get better protection from getting a mild dose of Covid than from getting a booster jab.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They've told us the second jab will lose efficacy after 6 months, and we know that just like flu, variants come along that the jab may need tweaking for and there'll be more waves.

Absolute no brainer.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
One of the possibilities is that you actually get better protection from getting a mild dose of Covid than from getting a booster jab.
And one of the risks of Covid is it'll kill you directly. No significant such risk with a jab.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
as people have said, what's the downside?

How'd you come to that conclusion?
current vaccines are running at 77-88% effectiveness at preventing catching the virus, and something like 95+% effectiveness at preventing hospitalisation.

Where as 'catching a mild' CV19 can lead to death, MH, heart and lung problems.

About the only two arguments I can see against booster shots, one is financial, but at ~£3 per person, and VMIC sitting there churning out thousands of doses per day (from next month), it's not much of a argument.
The other argument is the moral one, no one should get a booster until everyone in poorer countries has been vaccinated. That fails at the first glance, of what's the countries moral imperative? To protect its own population, especially if someone has contributed to that country. Or someone far away who has at best, no impact on the country. Where does a countries duty of care lie?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Apart from interfering with the 5G mobile telecommunications infrastructure, nothing at all!

my wifi reception has been absolutely perfect since my second shot.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Have the health authorities government actually made a decision on a booster jab?

I‘m still waiting for my boy to have his first jab, not quite 16. I would be happier once he is fully vaccinated but yes I get the yearly flu jab so if it was recommended for a covid jab each year I don’t see why not.

endure

GCM
my wifi reception has been absolutely perfect since my second shot.
Bill Gates_UN Photo_Jean-Marc Ferre.jpg

I'm on 2 immunosuppressants so I will get one.. In the DM it said its split into 4 groups for immunocompromised.. I'm in group 2...