Books you 'should' read, but can't.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Chef, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an avid reader, and on holidays, or other times when there will be reading time, I take many books. One week is about ten to twelve inches of new paperback, plus a few standards, GMF, Pratchett, etc. Now the thing is I try to read some of the books that one should read, but some of the classics I can't even begin on, Dickens, I find turgid, likewise Hemingway, I tried 'For whom the bells toll' Spanish civil war, a period that interests me, shortish book, good starting point I thought. Couldn't get interested at all.

Are there some standard books/famous authors that leave you wondering what all the fuss is about?

2. The wife gets the arrse if I take the bumpber edition of readers wifes (the triple laminated edition) on holiday with me. Well they do say picture pains a thousand words.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have re-discovered Dickens in the last 2 years, having struggled with him at school. I have to admit to becoming addicted and have now completed all the main novels and am moving on to his more obscure works. I would recommend The Old Curiosity Shop, Little Dorrit and Martin Chuzzlewit - I become so absorbed that I had to find out what happened next, even at the expense of enough sleep...

I have just started 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' by Nietzsche, as I feel I 'ought' to read more philosophy. I am struggling to get through his sister's introduction - I hope he is better than she is!

4. The Book of Mormon, I scan read it a few years ago and thought "what the f**k" I've never seen so much bollocks in all my life.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

'For whom the bell tolls'

Homer's 'Odyssey'.

I really, really tried. Honest.

6. The Kite Runner... Boss said read it 2 years ago, for that I just can't.

7. I tried reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, I got a couple of chapters in but jsut couldn't stick with it and gave up. I also found the Silmarilion unreadable.

8. Tolkien. Dull and plodding. Still, resulted in some reasonably decent films.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well said.

Somebody will mention Finnegan's Wake eventually and with good reason.

To be honest any book ever put on a Booker Prize shortlist is likely to be a bag of bollocks as well.

And I can't stand Jane Austen's books. She must the most overrated author in the history of English Literature.

10. It took me a long time to the The Lord of The Rings trilogy, even with skipping all the poems and songs.

11. Not so much as I don't get it But I just cannot read I am legend by Richard Matheson. Not a horror reader as it is just not my thing, however I liked the dramatization on radio 7 even though it gave me the willies. Book is the same but even more so, especially if you are reading it on a winters night in an old house five miles from town, on your own, in a gale after a wee dram. Jebus!

12. That's the one. Bag O shite. Waste of a forrest for printing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dickens I've struggled with and may one day give him another go.

Homers Odyssey I have read and found it ok going. The Iliad I couldn't read though.

Don Quixote is another I've tried to read a few times.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Just can't get into Seven pillars of wisdom by T E Lawrence

15. The Bible.

• Like Like x 2