Books with the enemy's perspective!

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by ballbag1010, Jan 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of any good military books which are written by the so called enemy, such as a Nazi in WW2?

I am reading "Storm of Steel", by a German soldier in WW1. It is mega!

We only ever seem to hear the good guys side of the story.[/url]

2. Grenadiers by Kurt 'Panzer' Meyer is meant to be very good, but its one of those fairly rare books that go for about 35 quid.
    Unknown Soldier by Guy Sajer is French bloke's story of being sent to fight on the Eastern Front by the Germans and is outstandingly good.
    I suppose the classic is the WW1 book 'All Quiet on the Western Front'.
    Hope this helps.

3. Not forgetting the classic "My Life as a Lying Tw@t" by Geoffrey Hoon

4. It's a long shot but going to amazon and putting in names like Heinz Guderian and Adolf Galland, et al might be successful, then again it might not! Depends which enemy you're talking about, we've faught against most of the rest of the world so pick your conflict/war first!

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

A work in progress ....

6. I flew for the Furheur - Heinz Knokke . Top German Ace and proper Blonde Goosestepper. 8O

7. I'll reinforce PTPs comments about 'I Flew for the Fuhrer' by Heinz Knoke!! It's an outstanding book by a German day fighter pilot who survived the war (that in itself is quite an accomplishment given the death rates of German fighter aircrews over Europe).

It relates his childhood in Hamelin, including life in the Jungfolk (a precursor to the Hitler Youth). He joined up in 1939, qualifying as an Me 109 pilot in late 1940. The book takes the form of a diary, and follows his subsequent career flying fighters in Europe, Norway, and on the Eastern Front. He destroyed 52 Allied aircraft and survived several shoot downs and crashes. His descriptions of air combat against massive USAAF bomber raids are particularly impressive. More poignant is his gradual realisation of the futility of the German cause, as more and more of his friends are lost. The book ends at the capitulation of Germany in 1945.

I still have my Dad's copy published in 1953, which captivated me as a young boy. It is one of the few books which I can read over and over again. I often wonder what became of Knoke; he would now be 82.

Arguably the most outstanding Luftwaffe leader of WWII, Adolf Galland, wrote 'The First and the Last' which is also a good story giving his unique perspective upon the German fighter forces of WWII, and indeed the leadership of Germany itself.

I also have 'Unknown Soldier' by Guy Sajer, but have not yet got around to reading it.

Regards,
    M2

8. Thanks all for your suggestions. I've taken it on-board and will look into them.

9. Kermit wrote:

Panzer Meyer's book is currently on the Staff College Commandant's recommended reading list for students.

The book that inspired "Das Boot" is worth reading but only if you haven't seen the (full on version) film.

Guderian and Galland have been mentioned, Otto Skorzeny wrote of his experiences, as did Hubert Meyer (Panzer Meyer's Chief of Staff), Paul Hausser and Otto Kumm.

10. Has anyone read the book "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger?
    I think it is brilliant, but i'm new to these war books.

11. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

For a book written from the enemy's perspective, I recommend 'The Hutton Report', available from the fiction section at your local library.

12. Anyone who wants a significantly more balanced account of Anhem, and Market Garden, should read 'It Never Snows In September' By a chap called Kershaw, excellent stuff and unravels a few exaggerations told by other authors, two full SS panzer divisions in Arnhem indeed!

Guderian's two books are also worth a look: 'Achtung Panzer' and 'Panzer Leader'

Also if SS Panzer Divisions float your boat read 'Devils Adjutant' and 'Steel Inferno' by Reynolds om Jochen Pieper and 1st SS PzKorps respectively.

13. the problem is not finding a book nowdays from the enemys perspective, its finding one from a non american perspective

14. From the Squaddies eye level,

Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer - gruelling read, but fascinating

Through Hell for Hitler by Henry Mettlemann - was a Timewatch program about it a few weeks back but missed it.

Guderian et al are a bit strategic, though I remember one talks interestingly of his 10-15 years as a POW in Russia after the war! Apparently the Communist Party officials all wanted the Germans to build their houses, as only the Germans did a decent job!

For Market Garden read Race For the Rhine Bridges by Alexander McKee, reading it right now, very good.

I would love to find an account by a Kraut who worked one of the 88s. Every book I read is dominated by them and the allies were (understandably) obsessed with killing them. They had to be served from the standing position, which must have been interesting.

Anyone any ideas?

15. The one with the bit about being a POW in russia is by Hans Von Luck I think it is called Panzer Leader. Top read and available on Amazon.