books we read in the 1970's

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by sirbhp, Jul 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Sven Hassel was a big fave , sadly i was demobbed before I read the whole collection. Is he still a favourite lads ?

Edge was a new comer to the cowboy genre , with his cut thraot razor and sharpshooting , cant remember who was the author though.

Then the J T Edison books always contained a cat fight somewhere in the plot .

I also considered Playboy to be a book because it had article about cars and aeroplanes in it .
  2. The New English Library had its heyday in the '70s, with something for nearly everyone: Chopper, Mama, The Run, Skinhead, Suedehead, Boot Boy etc...

Utter crap, BTW, but no-one had any taste back then anyway, so it didn't matter that much.

Added: Found this on Google Images; didn't remember it as being quite so comical, TBH.
  3. Edge
  4. Edge - George G Gilman, as i recall, also did a series called Steele
  5. Pan book of horror stories vol 1-7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I remember
    Sven Hassel (of course), JT Edson and his series about an american county police forc/sherrifs dept- loads of Colt 45 autos and shoot outs, Charles Whitting/Leo Kessler- (Wotan comes to mind but there must be others I read)
    Clive Cussler before he got boring, ditto Jack Higgins/Harry Patterson(The Eagle has landed still remains on my bookshelf)and ditto Wilbur Smith
    Ralph Hammond Innes, James Hadley Chase,

The era oF Book Club Associates has alot to answer for!
  7. JT edson If I remember was very good on gun description, but good westerns by people like Zane Grey eclipsed him. Saw a film on TV the other day- Monte Walsh- has to be one of the best westerns ever.

Still got all the Hassel books, read them from time to time to cheer me up.
  8. Alastair MacLean - well up until about Force 10, then he started losing it a bit.
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Louis L'amour. Excellent westerns. Got a couple on my kindle and recently re read them.
    J.T Edson was a postman, I believe.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Bear Island and Ice Station Zebra, Cracking film that.

Kessler was really a Hassel wannabe- good enough for fire piquets though
  11. I got into the Sven Hassel books in 1982. I bought a few new, but most were bought scouring second hand bookshops. A mate where I worked at the time always had one or two lying around the rest room. I picked one up while on my todd one day, and couldn't put it down. You can put part of the blame on those books for inspriring me to have my own military career. The characters, Tiny, Porta, Heide the ardent Nazi, The Old Un who was their leader, The Little Legionnaire, Spanish civil war veteran Barcelona Blom and Gregor Martin, were supposed to be real soldiers Hassel served with or based upon them. A penal tank battalion who did most of their fighting as infantrymen. They were a real band of brothers who would fight the Russians, the SS, and even among themselves whether in drunken bierkeller brawls or behind enemy lines. ******* mental!

I've got a lot of those New English Library books as well, which I got from the same second hand shops. Skinhead, Suedehead, Rogue Angels, Angel Challenge, Terrace Terrors, and more. Skinhead Times Publishing re-released all the Richard Allen titles years ago.

Another book in the same vein as the Sven Hassel books is The Devil's Guard. Supposedly about an ex-SS officer who joined the French Foreign Legion after the Second World War to escape war crimes trials. In a regiment made up of other surrendered Nazis, he was posted to IndoChina to fight the VietMinh, and used their Nazi ruthlessness to kill the communists. They weren't exactly shy about what they did.
  12. First line, Chapter 2:

"His name was Remo..."

Remembering the Destroyer books.

Well funny.
  13. For me, lots of scif & fantasy - Lord of the Rings, Michael Moorcock et al. I have subsequently read Hassell - fun, but utterly unbelievable: Tigers being issued to a penal battalion!