Books to read Falkland Islands

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stellawifebeater, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am going on a battlefield tour to the Falklands next month (last minute volunteer) and will have to give a presentation about the landings at San Carlos.

I'm after good books or websites for research purely about the landings at San Carlos from both sides if possible or if anybody has any stories or anecdotes about their time in the conflict that will enhance the presentation.
  2. Are you focusing on any particular aspect of the landings or taking a general overview? It helps to know what specific angle or aspect of the thing you're looking at - I imagine there are a few here who'd be glad to share a little in a good cause ...

... you are a good cause, aren't you? :wink:
  3. It isn't purely about San Carlos and covers the whole campaign but it is written by the bloke who ran the show;

and is a smashing read.
  4. Cheers people
  5. I had to do the same about a year ago.

Falklands Commando by Hugh McManners is good. It details tho work done by 'them' to prepare the area around San Carlos for the landings. Google 'fanning head mob' for more info.
  6. A book I keep re-reading about the Falklands War is 'A Soldiers Song' by Ken lukowiak, not so great for actual real military history but does feature the immortal line 'Maggie'll fcuk off all the lezzas and poofters and say 'go score some more ammo for the boys', which made I laugh...
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Make sure you get the paperback of this one. It carries corrections and updated information including his own problems & how he feels he let down one of his men who later committed suicide.
  8. Try a book called "GREEN EYED BOYS" well worth a read

And i second the above so try a "A SOLDIERS SONG" as well
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I recently came across Sod that for a game of soldiers.

It's written by a para who was 17 during the war. It concentrates on his and his mates part as toms on the ground, so obviously won't be of use if you're after the bigger picture. I found it a very good read and reccomend it.
  10. Did you know that the author (Ken) used to shag Gordon Browns wife? Seriously! She was nailed by the Para Regt before Cyclops got to her!
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

That would explain Browns disdain of the Army then. Ha ha funny as fcuk though that his mrs really was shagged by a squaddie :D
  12. Red and Green Life Machine by Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly (only man decorated by both sides, I believe) is a fine read for a different perspective again.
  13. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

If you are still in, then its worth trying the Army Historical Branch. Oops - cut & Paste follows: "The Army Historical Branch has been replaced by Corporate Memory (Analysis) branch, part of the DG Info directorate with UK Ministry of Defence (MOD). This branch is not an archive and requests for historical information received from members of the public are diverted, in accordance with standard MOD procedures, to organisations such as museums. The Army Historical Branch prepared In-House Histories of post World War II British military operations either on a tri-service or a single-service (Army) basis, according to the task. Where a tri-service history is involved, it was written in co-operation with the Naval and Air Historical Branches."