Books to Movies

Last of the Breed,by Louis L'amour.
Not a Shitkicker,but a very clever story,about an American pilot of "native american"descent,escaping across Siberia.
Someone like Wes Studi,or the "shouter" from Dances with Wolves,to play the lead.

gingwarr said:
RearWords said:
Isn't Kovacs in Altered Carbon an asian sleeve?
Only in the last chapter when he double sleeves.
I need to re-read them again - sorry. Richard Morgan's books are exceptionally interesting and I would presume a nightmare for any film company to translate to the big screen. Anybody know if anyone has bought the film rights? Wonder if Richard Morgan would get involved in the screenwriting?

From Robert Heinlein, I'd like to see a closer rendition of Starship Troopers. Failing that, Friday, or Citizen Of The Galaxy

GMF: Any of the Flashman books would be great, or a TV series of the McAuslan stories. Not forgetting Quartered Safe Out Here, hell of a story.

Just read The Dome, good story but you just know some studio's going to cark that one up.

Scalzi's Old Man's War is now possible thanks to the wonders of CGI, and is a good story. Better than that hippy Avatar scheisse by a long chalk.

I'd like to see 'We die alone' by David Howarth made into a film. A truly remarkable account of escape, evasion and survival in WW2 Norway. It is a story that requires no embellishment what-so-ever.
Once Hollywood gets in on it though................................... :?

GMF: Any of the Flashman books would be great,

Been done,once, and was shite

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Wiki Page

No idea who to get in the starring roles, but it would make a spectacular movie!

RearWords said:
Always had a hankering to see Frederick Forsyth's book 'The Devil's Alternative' made into a film.

The President of the U.S. read the memorandum with an expression of increasing horror. "This is appalling," he said. "Whichever option I choose, men are going to die." Adam Munro was unmoved. In his time, he had learned that, in principle, politicians have little enough objection to loss of life, providing they cannot be seen publicly to have had anything to do with it. "It has happened before," he said, "and no doubt it will happen again. In the Firm we call it The Devil's Alternative."

The plot moves from the Politburo in Moscow to Ukrainian dissidents continuing on to the White House, Washington and finishing in Norway with the Nordia line's newest supertanker. But when they come together there is an explosive situation.

As for the cast I'm struggling Adam Munro (a Scot); Maxim Rudin (a wily Russian); Andrew Drake (Ukrainian freedom fighter); and Valentina (the love interest and traitor).
very good book. the best forsythe book i read was avenger, but the ending means it wouldnt translate well into film

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
S-mise said:
I'd like to see 'We die alone' by David Howarth made into a film. A truly remarkable account of escape, evasion and survival in WW2 Norway. It is a story that requires no embellishment what-so-ever.
Once Hollywood gets in on it though................................... :?
Agree.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Legs said:
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

Wiki Page

No idea who to get in the starring roles, but it would make a spectacular movie!
On October 12 2008, Ridley Scott confirmed that after a 25 year wait for the rights to become available, he is making a return to science fiction with a film adaptation of the book. He is currently looking for a script writer.[12].

In March 2009, Scott confirmed that the film would be in 3D citing James Cameron's Avatar as an inspiration for doing so. "I'm filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War. I've got a good writer doing it. I've seen some of James Cameron's work, and I've got to go 3D. It's going to be phenomenal."[13][14]
Everything has gone a little moist. I just hope it doesn't take as long to reach the screen as Avatar.

Fat_Cav said:
littlejim said:
Of all Deighton's novels I think the one that cries out to be made into a film is "SS-GB". The picture he painted in that of Britain under Nazi occupation was a masterpiece of writing.
I wouldn't mind seeing a film version of 'Goodbye, Mickey Mouse'
It probably has everything; Dog fighting scenes, US military/UK population relations and a love interest. Although it wouldn't be a block buster it's a simple story and would capture people's interest.

Goodbye, Mickey Mouse
I agree with both of these. I enjoyed reading both of them, and the first time I read "Goodbye Mickey Mouse" I was quite surprised by it. Completely different from anything I had read from this author before.

DANJANOU said:
pentopjim said:
very good book. the best forsythe book i read was avenger, but the ending means it wouldnt translate well into film
It's been done

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473445/

Not too bad, mind hard for anything with Sam Elliot in it to be really bad.
wasnt aware it had been done. damn my ignorance. the thing i was on about was at the end you find out the cia bod who tipped off the avenger was his old tunnel rat mate, and in a film you can obviously see thier faces so that would be spoilt. does the film have an ending like that or does it deviate from the book quite a lot?