Books to Movies

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#1
Simple question.

What book that you have read would you like to see made into a Movie? Give a brief synopsis of the story and tell us who you would like to see in it.

I've just read Stephen King's latest epic "The Dome". The story is set in a small Maine town which suddenly finds itself enclosed by an invisible, impenetrable dome. The town's Second Selectman is a megalomaniac Bible Basher intent on using the Dome to enforce his will. meanwhile the Ex-Army Lt and his journalist friend are his arch-enemy...

I think the Second Selectman could be played by Russell Crowe, The Ex-Soldier by Kiefer Sutherland and The Journalist by Helen Hunt.
 
#2
Matt Damon for Lt. Col. "Barbie". Crowe, while a fine actor, does'nt have the physical size to play Big Jim Rennie...maybe a comeback role for Arnold? :wink:
 
#3
Dead of Light, by Chaz Brenchly.

A fictional city in the North of England(definately NOT Newcastle! :wink: )has been ruled for centuries by the MaCallans; an inbred clan of mutants who possess "the Talent". Lethal psychic powers such as pyrokinesis, telekinesis etc. The MaCallans rule their city with an iron fist. Noone does business, legal or illegal, unless the MaCallans get a cut.

Their rule is challenged when a number of MaCallans are murdered, by a killer who possess even greater Talent than his victims.

And the only one who can stop the the slaughter is the one MaCallan who was born without the Talent...

If done right, this could be a mixture of the X Men and Godfather. 8)
 
#4
What - the XFather?
 
#6
Legs said:
I've just read Stephen King's latest epic "The Dome". The story is set in a small Maine town which suddenly finds itself enclosed by an invisible, impenetrable dome. The town's Second Selectman is a megalomaniac Bible Basher intent on using the Dome to enforce his will. meanwhile the Ex-Army Lt and his journalist friend are his arch-enemy...
Isn't this the basis for 'The Simpsons Movie'?
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#7
Fat_Cav said:
Legs said:
I've just read Stephen King's latest epic "The Dome". The story is set in a small Maine town which suddenly finds itself enclosed by an invisible, impenetrable dome. The town's Second Selectman is a megalomaniac Bible Basher intent on using the Dome to enforce his will. meanwhile the Ex-Army Lt and his journalist friend are his arch-enemy...
Isn't this the basis for 'The Simpsons Movie'?
Is it? Having never seen the Simpson's Movie I really couldn't comment. However Kind states that this book has been 25 years in the writing, so I doubt that it is copied from Matt Groening.
 
#8
Len Deighton's novel Bomber or to give its full title Events relating to the last flight of an RAF bomber over Germany on the night of June 31st 1943. To me it seems a far better idea than the Dambusters remake in production at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_(novel)

I would cast Clive Owen as the world-weary Flight Sergeant Sam Lambert, captain of the Lancaster nicknamed " The Creaking Door". I know what you're thinking, he's too old to play a wartime RAF pilot, but while Lambert's age in the book is given as 26, he is described as looking 10 years older. Haven't really thought about the rest of the cast.

EDIT:
seems a film of the novel has been proposed before, in 2002, but never came to fruition:

http://www.screendaily.com/mike-newell-to-pilot-deightons-bomber/409738.article
 
#9
Legs said:
Simple question.

What book that you have read would you like to see made into a Movie? Give a brief synopsis of the story and tell us who you would like to see in it.

I've just read Stephen King's latest epic "The Dome". The story is set in a small Maine town which suddenly finds itself enclosed by an invisible, impenetrable dome. The town's Second Selectman is a megalomaniac Bible Basher intent on using the Dome to enforce his will. meanwhile the Ex-Army Lt and his journalist friend are his arch-enemy...

I think the Second Selectman could be played by Russell Crowe, The Ex-Soldier by Kiefer Sutherland and The Journalist by Helen Hunt.
.


On a Stephen King note I reckon a young Clint Eastwood would play the Gunslinger in the Dark Tower books.
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
Iain M. Bank's books would make superb films - particularly 'Consider Phlebas', 'Excession' and 'Against A Dark Background'.

no idea who'd be the best people to star in them, but on the basis of seeing 'Avatar' a few weeks ago James Cameron has definitely got the filmmaking chops to bring the Culture universe to the screen convincingly.
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#11
mortars2cg said:
Legs said:
Simple question.

What book that you have read would you like to see made into a Movie? Give a brief synopsis of the story and tell us who you would like to see in it.

I've just read Stephen King's latest epic "The Dome". The story is set in a small Maine town which suddenly finds itself enclosed by an invisible, impenetrable dome. The town's Second Selectman is a megalomaniac Bible Basher intent on using the Dome to enforce his will. meanwhile the Ex-Army Lt and his journalist friend are his arch-enemy...

I think the Second Selectman could be played by Russell Crowe, The Ex-Soldier by Kiefer Sutherland and The Journalist by Helen Hunt.
.


On a Stephen King note I reckon a young Clint Eastwood would play the Gunslinger in the Dark Tower books.
Now that would be an epic movie! Good call! Who would play him now though? Clint is far too old - maybe 10 years ago.
 
#12
baboon6 said:
Len Deighton's novel Bomber or to give its full title Events relating to the last flight of an RAF bomber over Germany on the night of June 31st 1943. To me it seems a far better idea than the Dambusters remake in production at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_(novel)

I would cast Clive Owen as the world-weary Flight Sergeant Sam Lambert, captain of the Lancaster nicknamed " The Creaking Door". I know what you're thinking, he's too old to play a wartime RAF pilot, but while Lambert's age in the book is given as 26, he is described as looking 10 years older. Haven't really thought about the rest of the cast.

EDIT:
seems a film of the novel has been proposed before, in 2002, but never came to fruition:

http://www.screendaily.com/mike-newell-to-pilot-deightons-bomber/409738.article
Of all Deighton's novels I think the one that cries out to be made into a film is "SS-GB". The picture he painted in that of Britain under Nazi occupation was a masterpiece of writing.
 
#13
I'd love to see a film version of "American Tabloid" by James Elroy. It would have to be a HBO type series, as a single movie would be too long.
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
If you could get a series of the Christopher Brookmyre books going then that would be wonderful. Trouble is, you need to 'get' the very black humour in them so the Yanks would never watch them.

Alternatively why not go for The Road to Gandolfo? It was one of Robert Ludlum's two efforts at comedy and reads like his other thrillers with a sense of ridicule.
 
#15
Talking of Stephen King books to films, Id like them to set fire to every copy of The Stand on VHS in two 3 hour parts.

Give it to someone who can do the book justice, still my favourite SK book of all time.
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
Bollock-chops said:
Talking of Stephen King books to films, Id like them to set fire to every copy of The Stand on VHS in two 3 hour parts.

Give it to someone who can do the book justice, still my favourite SK book of all time.
still need to be done as a mini-series mind... theres just too many strands and parts to the story. give it to the people who made 'The Wire' - they could do it right.
 
#17
The March to Kandahar
300 miles in twenty-three days.
It is the story of Bobs.

I would like to see this made, but somehow I doubt it ever will happen.
 

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
#18
Any of Richard Morgan's books. Black Man/Thirteen for preference. Has to be directed by either James Cameron or Ridley Scott.

Cast? Not sure TBH. Carl Marsalis would need to be played by a black bloke in his mid to late 40s, have to appear hard as nails and have a credible English accent. Best suggestion I can come up with is Paterson Joseph

Sevgi Ortega? Haven't got a scooby TBH.

I think Kiefer Sutherland would be good to play Norton. Has the right sort of matured posterboy good looks I think.

Ren? Summer Glau or Zhang Ziyi. For preference Zhang Ziyi.
 
#19
I second a film version Len Deightonss SS-GB.

I'd also like to see a proper film version (not TV specials) of Terry Pratchetts books. Especially those "starring" the Night Watch. Pete Postlewaite as Commander Sam Vimes (the gentleman that Terry himself pictures the character looking like).
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#20
A couple of Tom Clancy books come to mind...

I'd love to see Red Storm Rising made into a film. I do think that there is too much action and too many aspects for one film though. With storylines in Iceland, Subs, Surface Fleet, Tankies and the political side it would lose too much in translation.

Then I'd like to see Debt of Honour and Executive Orders done. Again, it won't happen because the end of Debt of Honour into the start of Executive Orders is centred around a plane being deliberately crashed into a building. With the USA being awfully sensitive about things like that it is never going to get made.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads