Books, resources and other bits and pieces

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by nick_jinks, Jul 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going through the process of applying to Sandhurst at the moment, but I'm putting it off until I graduate next year. In the meantime I wanted to increase my general knowledge of the military operations, structure, history and anything else which might be useful to know.

Can anyone suggest a decent book or resource to start with? A decent generalised book would be a great help.

Thanks

2. Go to amazon/google 'RMAS reading list'. Also search around the arrse site for similar - I found stacks of recommended books to compete with my dissertation books for my time!

3. As Abrat says, there are a few 'officers reading' lists on amazon. However, much depends on what part of the army you are interested and your capacity to wade through reading material.

As a starter, I'd suggest something about life in the contemporary army: Richard Holmes' Dusty Warriors is as good as any, but you may want to go for something written by an officer or soldier from the arm you are interested in joining. Tim Collins' Rules of Engagement is an option if you can filter out the self-glorification. Alternatively, if tanks float your boat, try Main Battle Tank (I forget the author but read it recently).

Secondly, I would recommend something more intellectual about the current and likely future operating environments. Have a look for David Kilcullen's "28 Articles" (short article, available on the internet), if this fires your interest, have a look at one if his books: Counterinsurgency or The Accidental Guerrilla; or you could go for The Utility of Force by General Rupert Smith, Learning to Eat Soup With a Knife by John Nagl or The Sling and the Stone by Thomas Hames (personally, I'd go for one of the Kilcullen books, but you may prefer the Utility of Force).

Thirdly, recognising that the army is now looking beyond Afghanistan, I'd recommend something about combined arms manoeuvre warfare. There is plenty of good stuff out there on this, mainly German in origin (unsurprisingly). Try something like Achtung-Panzer! by Heinz Guderian or just search JFC Fuller and read up on what he had to say.

Again depending on which bit of the army you are most interested in joining, I might recommend something more specific as well.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey, he's an Infantry Officer in the Guards.

5. Correct - he was an Officer with the Grenadiers. He is now a trainee barrister in London.

6. Do all Guards Regiments originate from a parent unit?

7. They all come under the administration of the Guards Div.

The Grenadiers were raised in the 1600s as I remember it, they were just a Regiment of Foot Guards. They earned the title 'Grenadier Guards' after Waterloo in 1815 when they defeated The Grenadiers of the French Imperial Guard. People from the Grenadier Guards were later used to form the Irish and then the Welsh Guards.

I don't think you could really call the Grenadiers the Parent Unit of the modern-day Guards Regiments though, they're all Regiments in their own right.