Books on The Falklands War

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by pommydigger, Jun 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got any suggestions on good books on the FW?

cheers

2. Don't cry for me Sarn't Major?

edited for mong recall

3. Battle For The Falklands by Max Hastings & Simon Jenkins gives a good background to the political mess that resulted in Op Corporate, and a reasonable coverage of the military side. For more specific reading there is a list at http://www.naval-history.net/F01Books.htm

4. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

There are lots , but for me , Rick jolly,s Red and Green Life machine, and Forgotten Voices Hugh Manners, and lastly but not least 3 Para battle for mount Longdon John Cooksey

5. Don't cry for me Sergeant Major.

6. Falklands Commando By Hugh McManners,Lots of radio stag and pooing in plastic bags!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vince Bramley's "Excursion to Hell"

• Like Like x 1
  8. I enjoyed 'Reasons in Writing' by Ewen Southby-Tailyour. A Royal Marine who, despite his father being CG of the RM had been somewhat side-lined due to a clash with his then CO and sent down as OC of Naval Party 8901 (standing by to be corrected on the number) in the Falklands in the last days of the 70s. He upset 'the system' by taking his wife and 2 small children on the unaccompanied posting, but he also shipped down his yacht on which he then spent a year mapping the beaches around the islands in his spare time. On comes the Falklands War and all of a sudden, the sidelined Marine is suddenly the best-qualified advisor that the Task Force Commander could need!

• Like Like x 1
  9. For an overall view, try The Official History of the Falklands Campaign (Vols I & II) as revised and updated in 2007 by Lawrence Freedman, Professor of War Studies at King's College London where he is currently Vice Principal. The action accounts are in Vol II (War and Diplomacy).

10. For Queen & Country by Nigel 'Spud' Ely is also a good read...

11. Two more from very personal and little-publicised RN Diving and Bomb Disposal perspectives:

Diver by Tony Groom (highly recommended reading)
    Keep Your Head Down - A Falklands Farewell by Lt Cdr Bernie Bruen MBE, DSC, RN (a very unconventional character)

12. I have "The Secret War for the Falklands" by Nigel West but haven't read it yet so can't recommend it particularly

13. thanks for that- I will check them out. Have ordered Don't cry for me off amazon.

cheers

14. Top book, found a copy for a quid in a book sale and thoroughly enjoyed it, well recomended.