Books on the AAC and The Rifles - Help

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by cupoftea, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm currently in the initial interview stages of my recruitment and I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good books specifically on the AAC and The Rifles (my choices).

I finished reading Apache by Ed Macy recently and thought it was a cracking read. It has whetted my apetite for more bumph relevant to my choices so a well written book on The Rifles, past or present incarnations would be good.

Any suggestions of good, exciting, informative and enjoyable reads on military flying and/or light infanteering in general would also be very welcome. I'm sure all of you who have served and read would be able to come up with some good'uns.

Perhaps this could be a good-book resource for others with similar interests in military flying and infanteering too.

Thank you.

Edited for too much drunken editing :compress:
  2. Sharpe's Rifles? :)
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

For the Rifles, you need one of the past incarnations of the regiments. I am reading 'Swift and Bold' the story of the Royal Greenjackets from 1966 to present. Naturally, it is a book filled with derring-do, full of fine, upstanding and manly chaps. Or try Mark Urban's book 'The Rifles' which is about the Rifle Brigade ( became 3rd RGJ).
    Not sure about AAC, other than the Biggles books.
  4. Kill two birds with one stone and swot up on Pegasus Bridge - Glider Pilot Regiment and Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, all part of the AAC when it was a corps in the same vein as the RAC. A forum search should bring up a fair bit on that particular subject.
  5. Thanks chaps I'm going to see if I can get Swift and Bold from my library.

Anyone read Bugles and a Tiger?
  6. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Dare I recommend a book about the most bloodiest battle the British Army has fought since World War II...a battle in which one of the Rifles' predecessor battalions was wiped out after three nights of intense the epi-center of the greatest offensive launched by communist forces in the last 60 years?

Site here:

Includes unpublished pics of the battle in question.
  7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Is that the John Masters novel? If so, yes, a while ago.
  8. you might also want to see if you can dig up an old copy of "Flying Soldiers" - the book of the series following trainee pilots circa 1994. might give you a bit of an insight.
  9. The very same. Bit of a pointless, lazy question really. Sorry about that - should have asked "Can anyone recommend Bugles and a Tiger and tell me what its about?" after glimpsing its interesting looking cover on the tube, but then I should have just Googled and Amazoned it to find out (as I just did).

Young Officer. 1930's. Gurkhas. Indian Frontier. Definitely one for the infanteer side of the reading list.