Books on tape or disc

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by heythrop, May 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Through my eyesight being well and truly stuffed I am no longer able to read a book, and rely on tapes and discs from my local library.

I have obtained lists of recored books from a supplier of same, which I am able to read with the aid of a magnifying glass, but most of the titles and authors mean nothign to me.

I am able to put in a request at my local library and they do their best to get it for me.

My interests are very much that of the average bloke you will find here on this forum, with a particular bent for British history, and tales from Southern Africa, where I spent most of my life.

Can anybody please recommend any titles and authors to me.

Many thanks.
  2. Not being funny, because I can't, but would printing the list of suggestions this big help a little?
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Smartarse :D

Question for Heythrop - are you IT literate? There are a lot of sites that you can download books from.

Here is one site with some of the classics on it - all free too.

Free classic audio books
  4. No arrse smarting intended but the library archive I use also does free audio books. >>>>here makey clicky<<<<
  5. Have you read any Wilbur Smith? If nothing else his descriptions of scenery and surroundings are very evocative.
  6. Thanks for the great response. The large type was great - saved me using a magnifying glass to read.

I am computer literate, and thanks for the intro to the web sites, and also for the reminder about Wiulbur Smith, I read his books years ago, and they will certainly stand listening in on

I am still getting used to being partially sighted after a sudden and sharp deterioration in sight in January of this year, Right eye useless and about sixty per cent in left eye but can find my way round a computer fine, and if it never gets any worse I can handle it.

Many thanks. You have been a great help.
  7. Presuming you owe an iPod or somesuch, iTunes have a pretty good selection of audio books available for download. Pretty pricey though.

Amazon also have a selection on CD and Tape at a more reasonable price.
  8. Thanks bandalong, I aim to be able to hand list of titles and authors to my local library and have them get the tapes or discs for me to borrow from them, but have noted your suggestions. All useful stuff.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not sure if you've heard of Audible, they do audio books for download. Anyway I have quite a few I've bought over the years and if you'd like to PM me I'm happy to give you my login and you are welcome to have all the stuff I've got.
  10. This link lists all of his books to date: CLICKY

If you've not read him for a while, you'll have a few new ones to enjoy as he's put out a new book once every one or two years since 1964.

Here are some sites for his books in audio form:

Have you also had a look at Amazon to see what else might be available in a similar genre?

Amazon - Audio Books - History > CLICKY

Amazon - Audio Books - Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > CLICKY

Also THIS SITE looks good for rentals.

Happy listening!
  11. Excellent. Just downloaded (using this interweb thing my grandson told me about) some very good books to listen to in my automotive vehicle.

Thank you.
  12. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you for the response to my request. In the past it has never ceased to fill me with pride the way members of this forum have responded when a call for help has been made, and now I am at the receiving end I feel deeply touched.

Very best wishes.

13. Not sure if its your scene, but most of Terry Pratchets books are available on audio now, read by Tony whatshisname (bloke who played Baldrick). Very satirical and I find them very funny