Books on Fitness

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by jimuk80, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i was just wondering if anyone could recommend any books on Army fitness or general training. There seems to be loads out there but i was wondering if anyone had any that they found useful.

2. Fighting fit by Adrian Weale seems to be quite highly regarded. Not read it myself but a few guys I know who have say its quite good and reviewers on amazon seem to like it. link

3. He is devilishly handsome to boot :wink:

4. Got the book "Fighting Fit" last Thursday and it seems pretty good. I like the way its not too Gillian McKeith. Basically says you can have a beer just dont be a twat about it.

The training programmes seem easy to follow. I particularly liked the Fartlek programme, it left me in pieces by the end.

All started getting a bit involved when it started on the survival techniques and map reading etc but i suppose i've still got all that to come.

Cheers for the advice anyway.

Edited for spelling like a mong

5. Depends what your looking for in the books. Just general fitness info? Or more detailed fitness info?

6. http://www.amazon.com/Forces-Manual-Mental-Physical-Endurance/dp/0312348185

That is quite a usefull book, it's full of information from how to set your goals and meet them, and keep going on and on, with stories of peoples personal mental struggles, and how this relates to the physical side of things, and vice versa.. in a nutshell anyway. There's many different sections and it refers alot to the "elite" forces worldwide, and there's a few fitness programmes in there aswell. It's not another one of them SAS for dummie books or anything like that.

7. Lore of running and The triathletes training bible are invaluable to me.