Books for Christmas

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by wedge_cadman, Dec 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

When asked what I wanted to unwrap this season I retorted with the usual "nothing". When pressed I then replied "books", not holding out hope for anything decent. But this year I am nearly all impressed with the book selection I have been given.

Tom Clancy -Dead or alive
    Stephen Fry - the Fry Chronicles
    Lloyd and Mitchinson - the book of general ignorance
    Andy McNab - Zero Hour (yes I know)
    Rachel Hewitt - Map of a Nation

The last one looks very interesting. So what has Santa left for any fellow arrsers?
  2. The making of the British landscape (how we have transformed the landscape from prehistory to today) - Francic Prior
    The Time Team guide to the History of Britain - Tim Taylor
  3. When you've had time to look at it, would you mind letting me/arrse know what you think. Ta.

Merry Crimbo.
  4. George MacDonald Fraser - Quartered Safe Out Here
    Peter White - With The Jocks
    Doug Beattie - An Ordinary Soldier

It helps when you're told to buy yourself books that you can be given for Christmas. I'm looking forward to getting started on them, given what I've read about them on here.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

QSOH is a great book, plenty been said about it before.

WTJ is another great book but is strange as Peter White writes the book as his biography but almost as though he was an observer looking on at events. A bit weird in parts, but a compelling story of an infantry pl comd from Normandy to the war's end

Doug Beattie's book is on my to read list.

I hope you enjoy them.
  6. I'm sure I will Auld Yin.

Just need to finish Huxley's "Brave New World" first. Thoroughly enjoying that.

Slainte mhath.
  7. Only two books this year, but both of them good'uns (I hope):

War Without Garlands - Robert Kershaw
    Surface Detail - Iain M. Banks
  8. Got the new Tom Clancy too, 120 pages in already. Grew up reading him so quite good to get a new one!

Got McNabbs latest offering....

And Ross Kemps one, forget the title now but it looks pretty good, chronicling medal winners across the three services over last century.
  9. I got that too! As well as-

Utah Beach by Joseph Balkoski. Don't know anything about it.

50 People Who Stuffed Up South Africa by Alexander Parker. Both bloody funny and pretty scary so far.

The Latest Answers to the Oldest Questions by Nicholas Fearn.
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Just read Gulf War One by Hugh McManners, one of the forgotten voices types. Hoped it would stir some memories but it failed.

Found about 10 Other Rank's recollections and the remainder, the likes of Denaro, Cordingley, Smith and politicians spounting off.

Not worth buying- get it from a library- atleast you can take it back.
  11. Just got Walks in Waziristan already over half way through it
  12. Well, I've finished "Quartered Safe Out Here" and "With The Jocks". Both terrific reads and I'd recommend both to anyone who hasn't read them yet. QSOH had been on my "to read" list for a while, I just hadn't quite got round to it but I hadn't heard about WTJ until I read some posts on here - I'm thankful that I did, it's a fascinating book. Thanks Arrsers.

I haven't started on "An Ordinary Soldier" yet because I was distracted by Ed Macy's "Apache".

Though it's not relevant to this thread, "The Complete McAuslan" is inbound.:-D