Books by Prof Richard Holmes

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sand_dancer, May 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This guy writes some cracking stuff. He did the series War Walks that was recently on Discovery Channel.
    If you think we had it bad in service try reading his bestseller "Redcoat" (The history of the British Soldier) and my favourite "Tommy"(World War 1) The extracts from the diaries and books written by these men are superb, at times sad and at times amusing.
    It is amazing that a man can take some of the trauma that these books explain in their sufferings, but as every soldier knows the good times were also had by all.
  2. Actually his best book is his coverage of Wellington ISBN 0-00-713750-8
  3. Have recently been given Dusty Warriors by Holmes , but am yet to start reading it.
  4. Redcoat - what a belting book. I've read it twice and will probably read it again.

Currently reading 'Dusty Warriors' and when that's finished I have 'Tommy' waiting on the shelf. Looking forward to a lazy summer in the back garden.
  5. Ive just got Acts of War and then its Wellington. Mind Prof Holmes thinks the sun shines out of Wellintons A$*e. Don't get me wrong he was a top notch geezer who sorted Napoleon, but it never got us a bank holiday. I am looking forward to the celebrations though in 10 years.
  6. Having met Prof. Holmes a couple of times, i find him just as interesting to listen to as to read. He is obvioulsy enthralled and very passionate about his subject and actually has that ability to make his subject interesting!!
  7. Got signed copies of Redocat and The Western Front.

The Western Front is a cracking book, I need to read Tommy though. He's a cracking author.
  8. Has anybody seen War Walks and his explainations of the war on the Western Front
  9. Just got "Dusty Warriors" from Amazon. I was surprised to find out that Richard Holmes wasn't in theatre as a journo but as Col of the PWRR - in combats with the rank of Brigadier! This isn't just a collection of war stories - he was with them at the same time as the stories in the book. Geezer!
  10. Have finished Dusty Warrior and it is a cracking book, full of the wee details that show you what 1 PWRR are like as a battalion. I also recognised a few people I've served with - Hello Bob :cool:. It gives you a very good insight into the local politics without being pro or anti Labour etc - in all an excellent read. I've sent my copy to a mate in Basra so he can compare then and now!

Holmes was Brig TA in his last job before finishing but I thought he got Maj Gen before he became Colonel PWRR?

Tommy and Redcoat were also good books.
  11. I've just started reading his book "In the Footsteps of Churchill", having enjoyed both "War Walks" books and also his book about Wellington.

He's a gifted writer with the ability to make history interesting.
  12. I've just started reading his book "In the Footsteps of Churchill", having enjoyed both "War Walks" books and also his book about Wellington.

He's a gifted writer with the ability to make history interesting.
  13. I was lucky enough to attend a talk of his whilst he was launching 'Tommy.' He is indeed a top bloke, and I hope he has his eye on threads here!

He was asked by one elderly lady if he thought the young men of today could cope with the conditions suffered by their predecessors in the trenches, and he most emphatically stated that they could and pretty much did, every day in Basra. He is an ardent supporter of the British Army.

Oh, and I enjoy his books, too!
  14. well you are indeed special!!

when you read the book you will find that he wasn't "with them" at the same time as the stories in the book. He did however get to visit Camp Abu Naji for a week in his role as honourary Colonel of the PWRR during the tour he describes.

Funny he was wearing combats and a brigadier rank slide, next you'll be telling us that he was a brigadier in the TA :roll: :roll: .

Finally, Can't imagine why you would be surprised to find out he wasn't in theatre as a journo, what with his day job not being a journalist, he is a Military Historian.
  15. In 1990 he became Director of Cranfield University's Security Studies Institute, and spends much of his time teaching post-graduate students at the Royal Military College of Science at Shrivenham and lecturing at home and abroad. He was appointed Professor of Military and Security Studies at Cranfield University in 1995.
    Professor Holmes has written over a dozen books on military topics. He is best known for Firing Line (US title Acts of War), a study of human behaviour in battle, and Soldiers, the book of the prizewinning BBC TV series, which he wrote in association with John Keegan. In 1993 he rode on horseback from Mons to the River Marne, following the route of the British Expeditionary Force in 1914, and the ensuing book, Riding the Retreat, was published in 1995. He is general editor of Oxford University Press's Companion to Military History. He has written and presented several television programmes, including two six-part BBC2 series, War Walks I and War Walks II, as well as a series on the Western Front which was televised in the summer of 1999. He wrote books to accompany each of these series. Battlefields of the Second World War was published in 2001, this accompanied the BBC2 series of the same name. His latest book, Redcoat, tells of the British soldier in the age of the horse and musket, and has just been published.
    Richard Holmes enlisted into the Territorial Army in 1964 and was commissioned two years later. He spent most of his TA career in 5 QUEENS, a NATO-roled infantry battalion, was promoted Colonel when he gave up full-time service in 1986, and in February 1994 became Brigadier TA at Headquarters Land Command. He was appointed OBE(Military) in 1986. Between November 1997 and November 2000 he was Director Reserve Forces and Cadets and Britain's senior serving reservist. He received the CBE in the 1998 New Year's Honours. In September 1999 he became Colonel of the Princess of Wales - Royal Regiment.
    He lives in Hampshire with his wife and two daughters. He also sits as a Justice of the Peace for North-East Hampshire, and maintains a large grey horse called Thatch, on whose back he hazards his person more often than is really sensible.
    Educational Details PROFESSOR RICHARD HOLMES CBE TD JP: Richard Holmes was educated at Cambridge, Northern Illinois and Reading Universities. He was a member of the Department of War Studies at RMA Sandhurst between 1969 and 1985, when he left to command 2nd Battalion The Wessex Regiment. While serving full-time he helped to set up the Higher Command and Staff Course at the Army Staff College, and retains responsibility for part of the operational military history taught on it.

Can anyone else from 2 Wessex remember him?